Anybody buying on this downturn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~bs View Post

yeah, just keep accumulating down. when the market eventually recovers, you'll look like a genius.
    That's my hope.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Get ready for the panic. Trump is speaking again at 3pm. His speech on Wednesday put the market into a tailspin. Today's should finish the job. I'm sorry I put some money in already today. Had I know he was planning to speak, I would have waited until after 3:00.
      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
        Get ready for the panic. Trump is speaking again at 3pm. His speech on Wednesday put the market into a tailspin. Today's should finish the job. I'm sorry I put some money in already today. Had I know he was planning to speak, I would have waited until after 3:00.
        Really depends on what type of plan they have. He's probably going to declare national emergency and more clearly define any relief. The whitehouse and democrats were supposedly close to agreement on a package. Might spike the market if it's something good.

Comment

I’m kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on some things I was watching yesterday. I could have done well this morning. I was too busy at work and before I realized it the market was closed. I’ll be watching today.
          Set a limit order at a low enough for you price. Then you don’t have to actively trade.

if it fills great. If not oh well.

be sure to select all or none of that option is listed (usually more likely to appear on a sell transaction)

Comment

Originally posted by skives View Post
            I’m wondering if I should do a 401k to Roth 401k conversion now or if that money that would pay the taxes would be better invested. What do you people think?
            I was actually thinking about the same thing... My wife has (had... Haven't checked lately) ~$125k in her TSP from before she left the military. I don't know how much is in traditional, but I'd guesstimate around $25k. We're only 33/34, so I'd love to pay the taxes & roll that into a Roth IRA to grow tax-free, and I was thinking that with the markets down 25%, may be an opportunity to do that rollover with a smaller tax bill.

Haven't decided on anything yet, but I'll talk to DW & see what she thinks.... But does that make sense to the SA crowd?
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I’m kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on some things I was watching yesterday. I could have done well this morning. I was too busy at work and before I realized it the market was closed. I’ll be watching today.
              I've been buying as the market has moved down and bought more on Thursday. In hindsight, i wish I'd committed even more of our cash reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by srblanco7 View Post

I've been buying as the market has moved down and bought more on Thursday. In hindsight, i wish I'd committed even more of our cash reserves.
                Stay tuned, I'm sure there will be another opportunity before it is all resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post

I was actually thinking about the same thing... My wife has (had... Haven't checked lately) ~$125k in her TSP from before she left the military. I don't know how much is in traditional, but I'd guesstimate around $25k. We're only 33/34, so I'd love to pay the taxes & roll that into a Roth IRA to grow tax-free, and I was thinking that with the markets down 25%, may be an opportunity to do that rollover with a smaller tax bill.

Haven't decided on anything yet, but I'll talk to DW & see what she thinks.... But does that make sense to the SA crowd?
                  It depends on your overall tax situation. But, I don't think we will ever have lower tax brackets--(though, I guess you could go to a lower bracket if you have to go to a combat zone.) I think doing conversions when the market is down is a great idea.

Comment

I've put a total of $11,150 into the market over the past couple of weeks that I wouldn't have otherwise invested. That represents just under 1% of our portfolio at this point. I could have put in more and still might, but it looks like the market responded well to yesterday's news and assuming the Senate passes the House bill and Trump signs it, that will probably stabilize the markets so I'll wait and see what happens. And I'll see if that 11K investment pays off well.
                    Steve

Comment

I continue to buy and hold for long-term like Warren Buffet. I stopped doing any market timing a long time ago. I just find it more stressful and often end up in a losing side. Not interested in buying individual stocks no matter how much they fall in the price per share. Unless you have new to investing, it might be a good buy now. But for old folks like me, I invest mainly in a broad index market and continue DCA every pay period and forget about it! Just wake me up when this whole thing is over.
                      Got debt?
                      www.mo-moneyman.com

Comment

i'll figure it out this weekend. Debating with DH between dumping more in after we dumped in about $100k in january or waiting and seeing how housing goes and buying something else.
                        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I've put a total of $11,150 into the market over the past couple of weeks that I wouldn't have otherwise invested. That represents just under 1% of our portfolio at this point. I could have put in more and still might, but it looks like the market responded well to yesterday's news and assuming the Senate passes the House bill and Trump signs it, that will probably stabilize the markets so I'll wait and see what happens. And I'll see if that 11K investment pays off well.
                          Bounce was market relief that our lawmakers are doing SOMETHING. I do think we have a lot more losses and volatility ahead though. Sounds like your dollar cost averaging strategy is working!

Comment

Originally posted by tripods68 View Post
                            I continue to buy and hold for long-term like Warren Buffet. I stopped doing any market timing a long time ago.
                            I'm not a market timer either. Buying on big drops that have nothing fundamentally to do with the companies themselves is exactly what Warren Buffet preaches. This is one of those opportunities that only comes along a few times in one's lifetime.

Of the $11,150 I've put in, over 60% went into a mutual fund and an ETF. I did buy an individual stock but it was a small stake.
                            Steve

Comment

I'm not a market timer either. Buying on big drops that have nothing fundamentally to do with the companies themselves is exactly what Warren Buffet preaches. This is one of those opportunities that only comes along a few times in one's lifetime.

Of the $11,150 I've put in, over 60% went into a mutual fund and an ETF. I did buy an individual stock but it was a small stake.
                              Yeah, I'm doing the same. The elimination of trading fees is a nice plus because you can trade in smaller increments more frequently with no repercussions. I'm basically throwing some money into every dip.

Comment

Ditto DS & ~bs ..... I've tossed in ~$12k extra so far, with another $1k of orders waiting for further dips. All going into assets I've been planning to buy anyway, so this down had simply accelerated those plans.
                                "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Working...
                                X