No announcement yet.

Anybody buying on this downturn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not buying but sold all the day before the Dow dropped 2300. Buy & hold is dead. I can always get back in later but now is the time to get out. When the ship is sinking get off. Don't go down with the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
      Not buying but sold all the day before the Dow dropped 2300. Buy & hold is dead. I can always get back in later but now is the time to get out. When the ship is sinking get off. Don't go down with the ship.
      meh...im going to hold. If the ship sinks (which it wont,) it will not matter what sort of money reserves you have or where they are stored. You better have food rations and plenty of guns/ammo.

Also, unless you're retired or want to retire soon, the market has absolutely zero impact on my day to day life...being 38 years old. I have never sold/withdrawn any money I ever invested, as of yet. My daily/monthly expenses are covered by my job. If all of my invested money vanished tomorrow, my life wouldnt change right now...it would change later in life since I would have to work longer...but day to day, nothing changes.
      Last edited by rennigade; 03-16-2020, 02:59 AM.

Comment

AAL pre market is down to 11.46. Wonder if that stock will see single digits?

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
          I don't understand what this means. Stock market always trended up overtime. Has it ever gone to zero or less? How is buying and hold is dead? Like will I ever owe money to vanguard if I keep my index funds? If not then what exactly is sinking?

​​

Comment

I was telling wife yesterday how this stock market is exactly what we are waiting for. Last time I didn't participate during the financial crisis because I didn't understand stocks and was focused on paying off a mortgage. This time we have an earnings potential of 4x more with no where to park our money anyways. Warren and myself are jumping for joy. If this was a video game, we just got a 2x power up.

You know how many people said the market was a sinking ship In 2009 when dow was at 8k? Those who bought in found the Dow hit 7k. People on the side line pointed and laughed. The same people who wish they bought in when dow was crossing 20k and almost 30k.

Yeah I am not going to lose this opportunity again. Going to infuse 20k/ month into the market. If it drops more then it drops more. The more stock drops, the more money I make in 5-10 years. I was sick and tired of everything being too high and everyone thinking a recession coming any moment. Now that it might be here, we can finally have our bull market for another 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Singuy View Post
              I was telling wife yesterday how this stock market is exactly what we are waiting for. Last time I didn't participate during the financial crisis because I didn't understand stocks and was focused on paying off a mortgage. This time we have an earnings potential of 4x more with no where to park our money anyways. Warren and myself are jumping for joy. If this was a video game, we just got a 2x power up.

You know how many people said the market was a sinking ship In 2009 when dow was at 8k? Those who bought in found the Dow hit 7k. People on the side line pointed and laughed. The same people who wish they bought in when dow was crossing 20k and almost 30k.

Yeah I am not going to lose this opportunity again. Going to infuse 20k/ month into the market. If it drops more then it drops more. The more stock drops, the more money I make in 5-10 years. I was sick and tired of everything being too high and everyone thinking a recession coming any moment. Now that it might be here, we can finally have our bull market for another 10 years.
              Same here. Last time around, I didn't have much money free to invest. Now I do. This is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Buy and hold is never dead. When people start thinking that is exactly when it's time to start buying.
              Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post
                AAL pre market is down to 11.46. Wonder if that stock will see single digits?
                I was listening to the talking heads last night--they estimated some of the airlines might run out of money by the end of May with all the cancellations and reductions in schedules. They were speculating as to what kind of help from Uncle Sam would be best. I suppose now is the time to buy because after they announce some sort of bailout plan--the stocks will go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

I was listening to the talking heads last night--they estimated some of the airlines might run out of money by the end of May with all the cancellations and reductions in schedules. They were speculating as to what kind of help from Uncle Sam would be best. I suppose now is the time to buy because after they announce some sort of bailout plan--the stocks will go up.
                  My thoughts exactly. I fully expect a government bailout of the airlines, just as we saw with banks and automakers before.
                  Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Agreed with Singuy & DS... I still believe wholeheartedly in the American (and global) economy. That's really the bottom line here -- confidence in the overall economy &a willingness to see it through. It's definitely going to hurt for a little while, but by buying into it on the way down & through the trough, I'll come out well ahead in the long run.

My next round of limit orders are executing in rapid succession this morning, 2/6 so far. I'll need to setup another batch of purchase orders.
                    "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

My only concern is that a cure will likely bring a bull sentiment back which doesn't give us a lot of time to buy the dip. We really need some people to start losing jobs to make these sp levels stick for awhile.

Comment

My only concern is that a cure will likely bring a bull sentiment back which doesn't give us a lot of time to buy the dip.
                        There will not be a cure anytime soon, if ever. Viruses are tough that way. There will eventually be a vaccine but that will take many months at best.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                          My next round of limit orders are executing in rapid succession this morning
                          I put in a limit order to pick up 100 more of JETS if it drops 15% below what I paid on Friday.
                          Steve

Comment

A cure as in using off the shelf product which there are lots of clinical trials and experiments going on. Some seem pretty credible. If they can reduce death rates down to flu levels then the fear will dissipates.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

I put in a limit order to pick up 100 more of JETS if it drops 15% below what I paid on Friday.
                              I decided to do the same this morning. Smallish amount (50sh), but enough to have a taste & see how it goes. It's a pretty aggressive limit price (still another ~8% below current), but it may still work in my favor. JETS is 100% speculative for me (while the rest of my purchases are planned & intentional), so I'm not getting too wrapped up in it though.

Currently at 3/7 orders executed, and another should execute anytime (currently $2/.9% below my limit price).
                              Last edited by kork13; 03-16-2020, 06:37 AM.
                              "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I don't understand what this means. Stock market always trended up overtime. Has it ever gone to zero or less? How is buying and hold is dead? Like will I ever owe money to vanguard if I keep my index funds? If not then what exactly is sinking?

​​
                                Buy low, sell high. On March 11, 2020 when the DJIA was 23,500 I sold (sell high). On March 16, 2020 when the DJIA was 21,300 I bought more (buy low). I'm using the volatility to my advantage while others are putting their heads in the sand not wanting to see how much unrealized losses occurred. Commission-free trading too so why not. And if the DJIA runs up to 23,500 again or more I will sell again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Here is proof if anyone thinks I'm bs'ing.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X