Anybody buying on this downturn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Just Federal ones or private ones, too? I imagine the banking industry lobby would fight tooth and nail against allowing it for private loans.
    Steve, how is your daughter doing? Is she still working preschool? I am assuming she has been "furloughed" as everyone is home?

Comment

Originally posted by Scallywag View Post

Steve, how is your daughter doing? Is she still working preschool? I am assuming she has been "furloughed" as everyone is home?
      Thanks for asking. She's fine. She is not teaching preschool anymore. She left that job at the end of the school year back in June. She enjoyed the work, but not the job itself. There were a lot of issues there. Since August, she has been working as a swim instructor and life guard at a children's swim school. It's a national franchise (Goldfish Swim School). Great company to work for. Great people. They treat everyone very well and she really likes it there. Of course, they shut down due to COVID so she hasn't worked since 3/13 and has no idea when she'll be going back. They did lay everyone off so that they could file for unemployment, which she did.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Thanks for asking. She's fine. She is not teaching preschool anymore. She left that job at the end of the school year back in June. She enjoyed the work, but not the job itself. There were a lot of issues there. Since August, she has been working as a swim instructor and life guard at a children's swim school. It's a national franchise (Goldfish Swim School). Great company to work for. Great people. They treat everyone very well and she really likes it there. Of course, they shut down due to COVID so she hasn't worked since 3/13 and has no idea when she'll be going back. They did lay everyone off so that they could file for unemployment, which she did.
        Has she considered working community college? There's a lot of demand for English teachers & ESL teachers these days but they do require a Master's degree. She could study part time, if she wanted to, and is guaranteed a job at graduation. Just an idea aa the job is stable, long term and qualifies for pension (although CALPERS isn't doing too well, so not a great benefit for folks who are CA public servants). Lots of paid breaks too, that she can spend as she wishes. She may want to consider it. Glad she's doing OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Scallywag View Post

Has she considered working community college? There's a lot of demand for English teachers & ESL teachers these days but they do require a Master's degree.
          Nah. Not her thing. She loves working with younger kids, and doesn't really have any desire to be a classroom teacher. That's why preschool and the swimming instruction are both great for her.

Hopefully the swim school will survive and reopen when this whole mess is over.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Yes, we did. DH wanted to make his 2019 solo 401(k) contribution to a 100% stock fund instead of the usual conservative balanced fund. When he mentioned that he was thinking about it, I raised the "what will this do to our asset allocation" discussion but finally decided to go ahead and just give him my blessing for a variety of reasons that included his psychological well-being, my trust in his gut instincts, minimal impact on the AA, and the knowledge that even if he was wrong it wouldn't tank us financially. He didn't make any changes to his previous contributions. He mentioned that he might want to play around with a little stock trading, but that seems to have only been talk as he hasn't mentioned it for awhile.

I don't necessarily recommend this for anyone other than us! The Boglehead in me knows this wasn't necessarily the proper decision, but as a wife it was.

Comment

I bought Wellington (VWELX) in my taxable account ($39/share)

I am also going to start $150/month recurring investment in VWELX.

not tax efficient but I started with 3k and it’s not like the bond part is outperforming.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                I've got a bunch of lower-market orders still active from the last 3-4 weeks... Only 2-3 orders (of probably 20 total) have gone through, but I still see some downside in the market, so I'm leaving the orders in place.
                Well, with the 2-day down stroke, I had 7 orders finally go through -- 10 orders executed this week so far. So I've picked up another ~$2500 in various ETF shares.
                "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I bought several energy stocks xom, BP, VLO and CXO and took a gamble on Delta Airlines. Remains to be seen if that was smart!

Comment

I'll admit i sold off last friday after the gains of since march. I pocketed a bit in my taxable account left some stuff on the table, kept 401k and Roth invested. If there is another rally I'll sell more in my Roth. I think I'll buy more berkshire. So money going in about $5k/month DCA into 401k. But I didn't see the point of having more money riding in our taxable account. I also sold off the girls ESA and moving it from VTI to VOO when I think we've bottomed which I don't think we've hit yet. I did it because it had huge rebounds from March. I locked in some gains and I can't add anymore to DCA in. I throw in $2k/year lump sum. I also moved their 529 into TIPS and if the market bottoms I'll dump into VOO vanguard for them and move it back in.

That's my plans for being a little safe, continually investing. I am not ready to just keep sinking more in. Putting in at least $5k/month seems like a good plan. Plus stashing cash in case the housing market collapses enough to make it worth buying an investment property.
                    LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

I wasn't necessarily planning to buy anything more extra other than my normal 401k contributions and monthly taxable contribution but thanks to COVID, our spending is down quite a bit. We've got some extra cash so I'll probably make an additional deposit into our taxable account. I put an extra $1,600 in in February when things dropped down. I can probably send in another $2,000 this month. I'll split it between the S&P 500 fund and our high yield dividend fund.
                      Steve

Comment

Bought about 15k of AMD in the 40s.

Now I am buying into FVRR, my newest pick as a long investment. Potential I see is 10x in 3 years and possible 50-100x depending on adoption rate. So I am buying today, don't really matter the cost since I'll be long. Sunk about 10k in so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Singuy View Post
                          Now I am buying into FVRR, my newest pick as a long investment. Potential I see is 10x in 3 years and possible 50-100x depending on adoption rate. So I am buying today, don't really matter the cost since I'll be long. Sunk about 10k in so far.
                          I signed up with Fiverr a while ago but never actually did anything. The rates people were charging for the stuff I wanted to do were so low that it wouldn't have been worth my time.
                          Steve

Comment

I signed up with Fiverr a while ago but never actually did anything. The rates people were charging for the stuff I wanted to do were so low that it wouldn't have been worth my time.
                            So what I do is to see if any of these companies create any value to soceity of our future. Fiverr to me is on the top of the list once it reaches mass adoption. It can potentially be the go to spot for small and large businesses out sourcing their work out at a much lower rate than having it done in house. Having unlimited amount of talent at your finger tip is transformational because this kind of intangible asset is a money generator. This is by far more valuable to society than Etsy, and I would say as valuable as Amazon and beyond.

Imagine when Fiverr becomes synonomous with "out souce". Small businesses that were once a headache to start can now be accomplished by searching for exactly what you want. Some small bean nobody with some cash can create the next best x, y, and z as long as there's good management skills by utilizing talent exactly how you want it using Fiverr. This is extremely powerful when you begin to think BIG.

Amazon eventually has so many products that it became a SEARCH ENGINE. Youtube became a search engine for knowledge. Fiverr can be the next search engine for talent..talent you don't have to fly to your office, talent you don't have to interview, just talent you can pay and wait for the product you want talored exactly to your needs. That's just mind blowing to me.

This is what I do, I try to find the next Netflix or Amazon. So it's all about projecting where these companies can potentially be in 5-10 years and how they can change our lives and become integral part of our society.

Of course nothing is a sure thing. I just pick companies that has a clear probable path to 10x-100x. At 1 billion dollar market cap, it's a penny stock compared to the big boys. So even if it accomplish just 20% of what I am hoping it should 5-10x.
                            Last edited by Singuy; 04-22-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Singuy View Post

Imagine when Fiverr becomes synonomous with "out souce".
                              That would be great. There are a lot of online resources like that but if Fiverr can be the one that consolidates them all, that would be a terrific resource.

Etsy is also a great resource for stuff but more focused than Fiverr. You can get pretty much any kind of custom craft stuff done with Etsy but Fiverr handles all kinds of tasks.
                              Steve

Comment

That would be great. There are a lot of online resources like that but if Fiverr can be the one that consolidates them all, that would be a terrific resource.

Etsy is also a great resource for stuff but more focused than Fiverr. You can get pretty much any kind of custom craft stuff done with Etsy but Fiverr handles all kinds of tasks.
                                To me crafts are worthless and I don't see large valuation for Etsy (just an opinion of mine). To me, credible programmers, logo designers, graphic artists, commercial producers etc etc are so valuable for small businesses and this is where I see FVRR ends up. Tutors, teachers, anything you can think of where people can sell their talent will be on Fiverr. There are other websites like freelancer.com that are competitors but there's only one company that's growing at 40+% yoy. Millenials are begining to pin FVRR as the go to.

Comment

Working...
                                X