• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scallywag View Post

What is Wellesley?!
    It’s a Vanguard fund.

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual.../profile/VWINX
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
      I bought a lot of JETS and that's a 5 year play I think. Then maybe bailing out. I think airlines will recover but it'll take awhile.
      Yeah, the major risk is if some of the bigger components goes belly up.... but it doesn't seem like that would happen because of all the bailouts.

They're expensive right now, but as far as sector plays go, I think growth funds are where it's going to be over the next 5 years or so. value will continue lagging. If you look at growth and the NASDAQ, they're basically recovered all losses since the pandemic began, with good reason. Investors are upset because amazon said they'll plow their entire 5B 1st quarter profit back into the company. Long term, the investment back into the company will pay off, and the company will decimate the already beaten down retail sector even more.
      Last edited by ~bs; 05-14-2020, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Haven't been buying a crazy amount recently. I changed jobs last year, and become eligible for the 401k for this new job in october (nowadays a 1 year wait period is pretty outdated imo). So I'm basically building money market funds in case business and real estate opportunities arise & because I'll need to fund 19.5k in 401k contributions in 3 months plus make my 25% business SEP IRA contribution when I file my extended return in october . Would be nice to DCA those funds at lower cost if the market drops, but not going to lose sleep over it. Going to fund either way.

But yeah, like I said before this whole pandemic thing started, "he who owns the gold..... " Recessions are opportunities for those who plan ahead to get ahead.
        Last edited by ~bs; 05-14-2020, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Looks like I’m the proud owner of 100 more shares of JETS. This order executed this morning. The good thing is it lowers my average cost basis.

ETA ticker symbol
          As usual, me buying something has caused it to crater even lower. I bought at $12.50 yesterday and it's below $11.50 now.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

As usual, me buying something has caused it to crater even lower. I bought at $12.50 yesterday and it's below $11.50 now.
            That's why I layered orders upon orders as the broader market was falling fast. Acquired another 10sh this morning at $11.50. I don't even know how low my orders go, but this is kinda looking like a limbo bar.

ETA:​ I checked -- apparently i have orders for JETS down to as low as $10.50, though they're kinda old. The order that just went through was put in back in March, and was due to expire next week. I have alot of orders from late March/early April that are about to start timing out over the next 2-3 weeks.
            Last edited by kork13; 05-14-2020, 06:40 AM.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post

That's why I layered orders upon orders as the broader market was falling fast. Acquired another 10sh this morning at $11.50. I don't even know how low my orders go, but this is kinda looking like a limbo bar.
              Its tough to be contrarian in a sector. You need a big cash balance to be effective and very patient to initially act. My gut says its way too early to invest in that sector. With social distancing mandates the sector will not at all operate profitably at 50% occupancy which will probably be implemented until there is a vaccine.

In this related sector I really like WLFC from a very long term perspective but its just too early to act upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by JBinKC View Post

Its tough to be contrarian in a sector. You need a big cash balance to be effective and very patient to initially act. My gut says its way too early to invest in that sector. With social distancing mandates the sector will not at all operate profitably at 50% occupancy which will probably be implemented until there is a vaccine.

In this related sector I really like WLFC from a very long term perspective but its just too early to act upon it.
                the thing is that its hard to wait until that point in time because the minute people start to smell a sector recovery the stocks will jump.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post

the thing is that its hard to wait until that point in time because the minute people start to smell a sector recovery the stocks will jump.
                  Yeah, I'd rather be buying on the way down and then sit back and wait for the recovery.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by JBinKC View Post

Agree with you 100%. I just see it as a long-term opportunity. I have little doubt that my shares will return at least 2-3x over the course of the next 2-3 years, once travel returns mostly to normal. I see it as a reasonable bet. However, there's always the chance of losses, so in the end, it's only a few thousand dollars, and I can easily survive it doing poorly.
                    "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post

Agree with you 100%. I just see it as a long-term opportunity. I have little doubt that my shares will return at least 2-3x over the course of the next 2-3 years, once travel returns mostly to normal. I see it as a reasonable bet. However, there's always the chance of losses, so in the end, it's only a few thousand dollars, and I can easily survive it doing poorly.
                      Same here. The 700 shares of JETS I now have represents about 0.75% of our portfolio. It's hardly a big gamble on my part.
                      Steve

Comment

I have 1000 shares of jet average price $11. I have 750 shares of HA. I would not mind if tsla dropped again. I only put in 10 shares at $470. I'm in on Fvrr but not a lot 100 shares. I have a lot of VNQ. And I have 200 shares of XOM. I wonder if I should buy more. I swear oil has to go up. Of course I'm the person who got burned badly by oil a long time ago. But I swear oil will eventually go back up. I don't think it can be negative forever. Even though yes people are moving to electric cars there is still a lot of oil needed because the price difference between regular and electric cars is still quite a bit.
                        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

My recent buys early this week was FVRR as a concept stock for me. I totally see Singuy's logic in owning shares of relative market cap undervalued to peers and with all these people unemployed and time on their hands will spend time doing these gigs to fuel its growth. I really think this stock will be recession resistant. I also bought a small position in GBTC last week before the halving of bitcoin's hash rate this week.

I did most of my buying when the federal reserve started QE4 and already sold some trades that went up large percentages. The oil stock I am focused on is GKP.L which has a great balance sheet $4-5/bbl lifting costs,only1% annual depletion rate. In 2019 paid over 50% of its current market cap in dividends and buybacks.

Comment

I'm still stuck on how the market is skyrocketing and unemployment is still going up at a pretty good clip and I don't see how these unemployed people can afford to keep spending keeping the GDP growing. I know we are in a recession by technically definition of 2Q of negative GDP. growth. But how do they propose that stocks are worth what they are because of earnings? I am a bit confused because I would think with people spending less then earnings would go down? But maybe I'm terribly wrong. I would think losing jobs = spending less. But amazon and everyone else is gangbusters.

But then again WMT, HD, Target, Expedia. That might give us insight more. I mean everyone loves TSLA and I agree it's the car company to beat. But when do people stop buying cars in a recession? Wolfstreet if you ever read says we are in a recession and that car sales are massively down and car loan defaults are up.
                            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                              I'm still stuck on how the market is skyrocketing and unemployment is still going up at a pretty good clip and I don't see how these unemployed people can afford to keep spending keeping the GDP growing. I know we are in a recession by technically definition of 2Q of negative GDP. growth. But how do they propose that stocks are worth what they are because of earnings? I am a bit confused because I would think with people spending less then earnings would go down? But maybe I'm terribly wrong. I would think losing jobs = spending less. But amazon and everyone else is gangbusters.

But then again WMT, HD, Target, Expedia. That might give us insight more. I mean everyone loves TSLA and I agree it's the car company to beat. But when do people stop buying cars in a recession? Wolfstreet if you ever read says we are in a recession and that car sales are massively down and car loan defaults are up.
                              Historically stock price bottom the last day before interest rate hits 0%. Then it just goes up from there. The last financial crisis was like this, the currently crisis mirrors the same. There are no other options. Either you look around and pick winners or you lose money monthly to inflation.

When you see the market skyrocketing, you are only seeing stocks that are making revenue regardless of covid skyrocketing. All the other stocks (retail, travel, auto, airlines) are all in the dumps. Money has transitioned away from those stocks into big stay at home stocks and will continue to do so because the world was changing, now it has accelerated this change. I know if I bought CCL when it was at 50 dollars a share, I have yet to recover from my 70% drop even with all these rallies. But my covid resistant portfolio hit an all time high today because everyone should invest toward he future, not the past. Every dividend stocks (aka stock of the past) got absolutely destroyed and have yet to recover.

Comment

my DH is calling my CCL play risky and crazy. They could be bankrupt. Meh. I figure cruising will come back and that's the line to do it. Expedia lost money on the quarterly earnings and yet they went shooting up. Um, okay. and i'm pretty sure next Q will be really bad.
                                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X