No announcement yet.

Anybody buying on this downturn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The market certainly had a good day today. Things reopening and starting to get back to some semblance of normal is good news as is some promising reports on the progress of vaccine trials. Let's hope it holds up.

I have to check what my average cost basis is on my JETS shares. I know I started buying at $17.30 and the last lot was $12.50, so my basis is probably somewhere around $14 but I'm not positive. I'm still down over $3/share on AAL though. I'm happy to hang onto it for a while until things recover, which they will eventually.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
      I have to check what my average cost basis is on my JETS shares. I know I started buying at $17.30 and the last lot was $12.50, so my basis is probably somewhere around $14 but I'm not positive. I'm still down over $3/share on AAL though. I'm happy to hang onto it for a while until things recover, which they will eventually.
      Turns out my cost basis on JETS is $15.11, which isn't looking too bad today with the price up to nearly $19.
      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

$5000 to Wellington today

Comment

Anyone with AAL should be happy at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post
            Anyone with AAL should be happy at the moment.
            It’s actually still slightly below what I paid but had their best day ever yesterday up 41%. And JETS is $4 over my cost basis. So yeah, I’m good with that.
            Steve

Comment

What downturn? NASDAQ at all time highs right now. Blink and you'll miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by corn18 View Post
                What downturn? NASDAQ at all time highs right now. Blink and you'll miss it.
                Yeah, a lot has changed in the 3-1/2 months since I started the thread.
                Steve

Comment

That's why I said earlier, most people who try to time the market gets burned. you need to get in early, otherwise, you blink and all of the market gains are already made. Think I said it specifically with JETS as the example.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
                    That's why I said earlier, most people who try to time the market gets burned. you need to get in early, otherwise, you blink and all of the market gains are already made. Think I said it specifically with JETS as the example.
                    And people who buy on a regular schedule, every 2 weeks or every month, made out great as they got to pick up more and more shares as prices plummeted and are now seeing the rewards for that dollar cost averaging.
                    Steve

Comment

It’s actually still slightly below what I paid but had their best day ever yesterday up 41%. And JETS is $4 over my cost basis. So yeah, I’m good with that.
                      I just realized I was looking at the wrong number. I actually paid $14.54 so I’m actually doing fine on my AAL.
                      Steve

Comment

I wasn't paying attention to the markets today at all, but WOW! That's nice. As the rest of you said, it definitely reinforces my decision back in Mar to take full advantage & buy up as many shares of everything that I could. Got to ride it down for a few weeks, buying the whole way down, and a bit more on the way up. I only wish I hadn't been quite so "bear-ish", or I could have picked up even more shares (I had 20-ish limit orders for ~$6k total go unexecuted as the market turned the corner from the bottom).

I just checked my basis on those shares, and with today's leap upward... I've invested ~$20k since ~10 March, and those shares have increased in value by $5k -- 25% gain in 3 months!! Even better with JETS -- I'm at a ~50% gain on those shares right now. Sure, these numbers aren't life changing at all, but it really demonstrates the benefit of sticking with the market through downturns.

Now I just need to decide if I cash out those shares and use the proceeds for buying our next house in cash, or let it ride & take out a mortgage. DW & I keep going back and forth about it.... Gratefully, it's goodness either way.
                        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                          I only wish I hadn't been quite so "bear-ish"
                          Yeah, I'm having regrets for not pouring in more money, but I'm relatively conservative by nature. Several of the stocks I was watching, including the couple of things I did buy, have done incredibly well. Woulda, coulda, shoulda bought more. I've just got to be glad I bought what I bought and it turned out well.
                          Steve

Comment

And people who buy on a regular schedule, every 2 weeks or every month, made out great as they got to pick up more and more shares as prices plummeted and are now seeing the rewards for that dollar cost averaging.
                            That too.

Comment

One reason I hate investing in individual stocks...yesterday, the s&p was up around 2.5%. For us, that equates to around a $20k gain (on paper) throughout our retirement accounts/taxable accounts. The one individual stock I own, AAL...I own 124 shares, cost me around $1,400. Its up $920 overall...and I checked my robinhood account constantly yesterday. Its peanuts compared to our other accounts, its just more of a short term investment. I have a completely different mindset when it comes to it. Ill be glad when I dump it. Hopefully we have a run up next week. I really wanted to see if I could double my money.

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post
                                One reason I hate investing in individual stocks...yesterday, the s&p was up around 2.5%. For us, that equates to around a $20k gain (on paper) throughout our retirement accounts/taxable accounts. The one individual stock I own, AAL...I own 124 shares, cost me around $1,400. Its up $920 overall...and I checked my robinhood account constantly yesterday. Its peanuts compared to our other accounts, its just more of a short term investment. I have a completely different mindset when it comes to it. Ill be glad when I dump it. Hopefully we have a run up next week. I really wanted to see if I could double my money.
                                I am on the opposite path. I have no clue what my retirement account is doing but I stare at my individual stock account every second because it goes up and down like 30k a day. Just hit my all time high on Friday, 1.6 million...and that's with AMD/Fiverr/SHOP being weak sauce last week. Can't wait to get out of 2020, such a lame year. I was on track to 2 million by Q2 but most unlikely right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X