X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kork13
    replied
    Originally posted by cypher1 View Post

Sounds like a good first world problem to some of us I don't have much experience with selling funds, but i do look forward to having those types of options or woes (if you want to call it that) with large amounts of funds for other purchases.
    Yes, definitely a good first-world, very blessed problem to have. It's been a long road though, starting on my own with literally nothing in college and slowly building up to this point. And I found these forums back then, which honestly has helped me to learn alot. So I'll give credit where credit is due -- thanks as always to everyone around here!!

Leave a comment:

• cypher1
    replied
    Originally posted by kork13 View Post
    Big financial moves are nerve-racking... We've sold off & transferred out the cash on nearly all of our taxable investments for this upcoming purchase.... But I'm feeling really edgy not having any investments going. I'm itchy to start sending money back into the market (especially with all this volatility), but I know that I need to wait and hold the cash until we can get this deal to go through. ::sigh::

I think that as soon as we've got the money needed for this home purchase safely tucked away ahead of closing (I've been pulling money into our savings account like crazy from about 5-6 places -- they'll probably have me on a watch list for money laundering after this! ), I'm going to immediately start pushing money back into Vanguard. I'll admit, I didn't anticipate how much of a visceral, emotional response I'd have from selling all the investments to buy our next house in cash. Human nature, I guess.... who knew?
    Sounds like a good first world problem to some of us I don't have much experience with selling funds, but i do look forward to having those types of options or woes (if you want to call it that) with large amounts of funds for other purchases.

Leave a comment:

• kork13
    replied
    Well, it seems that we're going to be pulling the plug for now -- We're in the process of making offers on our next house, and today DW & I decided that we wanted to go ahead and make full cash offers to avoid a mortgage altogether -- hopefully now & forever! However, in order to do that, we're gonna have to pull the money out from our taxable investments (and sweep coins out from the corners & couches ) which is unfortunate -- we'll be stuck paying taxes on mostly STCG vs. LTCG... But hey, NO MORTGAGE!!! Given that the markets are back up to their previous high-flying levels again, I suppose now is as good a time as any to pull out for now anyway...

Once we get settled, we'll be able to turn the firehose back toward rebuilding taxable investments. Without a mortgage payment, we'll be able to do that quite quickly -- I'm estimating that our savings rate will jump up to 50% of gross, with 15% toward retirement, 25% toward taxable investments, and 10% toward short-term savings.
    Big financial moves are nerve-racking... We've sold off & transferred out the cash on nearly all of our taxable investments for this upcoming purchase.... But I'm feeling really edgy not having any investments going. I'm itchy to start sending money back into the market (especially with all this volatility), but I know that I need to wait and hold the cash until we can get this deal to go through. ::sigh::

I think that as soon as we've got the money needed for this home purchase safely tucked away ahead of closing (I've been pulling money into our savings account like crazy from about 5-6 places -- they'll probably have me on a watch list for money laundering after this! ), I'm going to immediately start pushing money back into Vanguard. I'll admit, I didn't anticipate how much of a visceral, emotional response I'd have from selling all the investments to buy our next house in cash. Human nature, I guess.... who knew?

Leave a comment:

• kork13
    replied
    Well, it seems that we're going to be pulling the plug for now -- We're in the process of making offers on our next house, and today DW & I decided that we wanted to go ahead and make full cash offers to avoid a mortgage altogether -- hopefully now & forever! However, in order to do that, we're gonna have to pull the money out from our taxable investments (and sweep coins out from the corners & couches ) which is unfortunate -- we'll be stuck paying taxes on mostly STCG vs. LTCG... But hey, NO MORTGAGE!!! Given that the markets are back up to their previous high-flying levels again, I suppose now is as good a time as any to pull out for now anyway...

Once we get settled, we'll be able to turn the firehose back toward rebuilding taxable investments. Without a mortgage payment, we'll be able to do that quite quickly -- I'm estimating that our savings rate will jump up to 50% of gross, with 15% toward retirement, 25% toward taxable investments, and 10% toward short-term savings.

Leave a comment:

• LivingAlmostLarge
    replied
    we're just buying on schedule. I'm terrified right now and can't even stick more money into the market though I think it'll go up. I will keep investing our 401k but otherwise it's hard to put more into our taxable account. I'm not even sure I would buy some of singuy stuff that i am not willing to hold long term. Like I only own Fiverr and I bought at $50. I'm hanging on the tsla because I bought at $400 but I am very wary of buying even the VOO and QQQ. I bought both in April and now i"m really nervous. I was nervous then to sink too much into the market. I'm more nervous now. I bought in March but not a lot, I think only $50k I sunk in.

Leave a comment:

• Singuy
    replied
    Originally posted by rennigade View Post
    One reason I hate investing in individual stocks...yesterday, the s&p was up around 2.5%. For us, that equates to around a $20k gain (on paper) throughout our retirement accounts/taxable accounts. The one individual stock I own, AAL...I own 124 shares, cost me around $1,400. Its up $920 overall...and I checked my robinhood account constantly yesterday. Its peanuts compared to our other accounts, its just more of a short term investment. I have a completely different mindset when it comes to it. Ill be glad when I dump it. Hopefully we have a run up next week. I really wanted to see if I could double my money.
    I am on the opposite path. I have no clue what my retirement account is doing but I stare at my individual stock account every second because it goes up and down like 30k a day. Just hit my all time high on Friday, 1.6 million...and that's with AMD/Fiverr/SHOP being weak sauce last week. Can't wait to get out of 2020, such a lame year. I was on track to 2 million by Q2 but most unlikely right now.

Leave a comment:

• rennigade
    replied
    One reason I hate investing in individual stocks...yesterday, the s&p was up around 2.5%. For us, that equates to around a $20k gain (on paper) throughout our retirement accounts/taxable accounts. The one individual stock I own, AAL...I own 124 shares, cost me around $1,400. Its up $920 overall...and I checked my robinhood account constantly yesterday. Its peanuts compared to our other accounts, its just more of a short term investment. I have a completely different mindset when it comes to it. Ill be glad when I dump it. Hopefully we have a run up next week. I really wanted to see if I could double my money.

Leave a comment:

• ~bs
    replied
    Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

And people who buy on a regular schedule, every 2 weeks or every month, made out great as they got to pick up more and more shares as prices plummeted and are now seeing the rewards for that dollar cost averaging.
    That too.

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    I only wish I hadn't been quite so "bear-ish"
    Yeah, I'm having regrets for not pouring in more money, but I'm relatively conservative by nature. Several of the stocks I was watching, including the couple of things I did buy, have done incredibly well. Woulda, coulda, shoulda bought more. I've just got to be glad I bought what I bought and it turned out well.

Leave a comment:

• kork13
    replied
    I wasn't paying attention to the markets today at all, but WOW! That's nice. As the rest of you said, it definitely reinforces my decision back in Mar to take full advantage & buy up as many shares of everything that I could. Got to ride it down for a few weeks, buying the whole way down, and a bit more on the way up. I only wish I hadn't been quite so "bear-ish", or I could have picked up even more shares (I had 20-ish limit orders for ~$6k total go unexecuted as the market turned the corner from the bottom).

I just checked my basis on those shares, and with today's leap upward... I've invested ~$20k since ~10 March, and those shares have increased in value by $5k -- 25% gain in 3 months!! Even better with JETS -- I'm at a ~50% gain on those shares right now. Sure, these numbers aren't life changing at all, but it really demonstrates the benefit of sticking with the market through downturns.

Now I just need to decide if I cash out those shares and use the proceeds for buying our next house in cash, or let it ride & take out a mortgage. DW & I keep going back and forth about it.... Gratefully, it's goodness either way.

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

It’s actually still slightly below what I paid but had their best day ever yesterday up 41%. And JETS is $4 over my cost basis. So yeah, I’m good with that.
    I just realized I was looking at the wrong number. I actually paid $14.54 so I’m actually doing fine on my AAL.

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by ~bs View Post
    That's why I said earlier, most people who try to time the market gets burned. you need to get in early, otherwise, you blink and all of the market gains are already made. Think I said it specifically with JETS as the example.
    And people who buy on a regular schedule, every 2 weeks or every month, made out great as they got to pick up more and more shares as prices plummeted and are now seeing the rewards for that dollar cost averaging.

Leave a comment:

• ~bs
    replied
    That's why I said earlier, most people who try to time the market gets burned. you need to get in early, otherwise, you blink and all of the market gains are already made. Think I said it specifically with JETS as the example.

Leave a comment:

• disneysteve
    replied
    Originally posted by corn18 View Post
    What downturn? NASDAQ at all time highs right now. Blink and you'll miss it.
    Yeah, a lot has changed in the 3-1/2 months since I started the thread.

Leave a comment:

• corn18
    replied
    What downturn? NASDAQ at all time highs right now. Blink and you'll miss it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X