Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody buying on this downturn?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My limit order for 100 sh of JETS triggered at opening this morning. I hadn't been expecting that. I bought at $14.70 and it's lost another 50 cents since then.

    It's getting really tempting to just throw a bunch of cash into an S&P 500 fund or Total Stock Market fund and then stop watching.
    Steve

    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

    Comment


      Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
      My limit order for 100 sh of JETS triggered at opening this morning. I hadn't been expecting that. I bought at $14.70 and it's lost another 50 cents since then.
      Likewise... I had 20sh execute at $14.91, and another 50sh buy at $14... And when I setup that second order over the weekend, I was expecting it would sit there for a while!

      I also bought 1sh of Disney in each of my boys' UTMA accounts. Those executed this morning at $88, 5% below my $92 limit price. Those were just for the fun of them owning a slice of Mickey Mouse... Perhaps I'll pick up a few shares for myself.

      I still have a bunch of outstanding orders, so I think I'll wait for most/all of them to execute before I launch another round of purchases. But at the rate we're going, that probably be by end of week. ~$13k currently invested in this downturn, another $1k ordered, and at least $2k more set aside for it. I'm the next week or two I should get ~$38k in 6 months of unpaid per diem, so I'll be able to put a large portion of that aside for continuing to progressively but the downturn.
      Last edited by kork13; 03-18-2020, 07:22 AM.
      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

      Comment


        Originally posted by kork13 View Post

        Likewise... I had 20sh execute at $14.91, and another 50sh buy at $14... And when I setup that second order over the weekend, I was expecting it would sit there for a while!.
        Got 100 more at $13.91.
        Steve

        * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

        Comment


          Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

          Got 100 more at $13.91.
          I've got another order in for 20sh more around around $13, we'll see how long that lasts...
          "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

          Comment


            Originally posted by kork13 View Post

            I've got another order in for 20sh more around around $13, we'll see how long that lasts...
            You're in on that one, too. Didn't last long.

            I've got one more open order for 100 shares at $12.75.
            Steve

            * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

            Comment


              Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

              You're in on that one, too. Didn't last long.

              I've got one more open order for 100 shares at $12.75.
              Yikes. That I am... No way I expected it to go so fast... JETS was ~$17.50 when I put all of those in -- 25% drop in just 3 days of trading! This downward spiral is going too fast for me to keep up! I've gotta decide if I'm adding another order, or let those ones sit & ride...

              Where is all the madness gonna stop? It's gotta hit a floor at some point, but the panic just keeps rolling. Although Buffett says to be greedy when others are fearful, I'm actively trying to decide HOW greedy I can/want to be. Trying to restrain my purchases to prevent getting TOO deep into everything all at once, but... man.... it's really tempting....


              ETA: I added another order for 20sh @ $12, nearly 10% further down. Hopefully that one survives at least through the end of this week!
              Last edited by kork13; 03-18-2020, 09:29 AM.
              "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

              Comment


                Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                Although Buffett says to be greedy when others are fearful, I'm actively trying to decide HOW greedy I can/want to be. Trying to restrain my purchases to prevent getting TOO deep into everything all at once, but... man.... it's really tempting....
                I'm in the exact same place. I guarantee there will be fortunes made in the coming years as a result of buying decisions made this week.
                Steve

                * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                Comment


                  I put a limit order to buy 4 more shares of DIS at $85.00 first thing this morning which executed. (It is currently trading in the 82-ish range. )

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                    Those executed this morning at $88, 5% below my $92 limit price.
                    Technical question: How do you do that? Is that a stop limit order?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                      I've got one more open order for 100 shares at $12.75.
                      And that one's done, too.

                      Okay, I think I'm out for now. Time to step away from the computer and phone for a bit. No more pending orders.
                      Steve

                      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by kork13 View Post

                        Yikes. That I am... No way I expected it to go so fast... JETS was ~$17.50 when I put all of those in -- 25% drop in just 3 days of trading! This downward spiral is going too fast for me to keep up! I've gotta decide if I'm adding another order, or let those ones sit & ride...

                        Where is all the madness gonna stop? It's gotta hit a floor at some point, but the panic just keeps rolling. Although Buffett says to be greedy when others are fearful, I'm actively trying to decide HOW greedy I can/want to be. Trying to restrain my purchases to prevent getting TOO deep into everything all at once, but... man.... it's really tempting....


                        ETA: I added another order for 20sh @ $12, nearly 10% further down. Hopefully that one survives at least through the end of this week!
                        OH COME ON!!!!! JETS dropped another 10% in less than an hour!! This $12 order executed already...
                        Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

                        And that one's done, too.

                        Okay, I think I'm out for now. Time to step away from the computer and phone for a bit. No more pending orders.
                        I think I have to do the same... All of my open orders (whether conservative or greedy) have executed, and I've already put in $2k+ this week (which I'm trying to use as a weekly limit). I may let things ride & settle for now...
                        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

                          Technical question: How do you do that? Is that a stop limit order?
                          No, I'm only using limit orders -- they serve as a maximum acceptable purchase price. So a limit order will let someone sell you a share below your limit price if that's what they/the market are offering. My very limited understanding is that when someone is selling large batches of shares, my small limit orders can sometimes tag along for the ride. So an institutional sale of 3000 shares goes through below my limit price, and my order gets executed along with anyone else who purchased from that block of shares. I'm honestly not certain exactly how the technicals of it works beyond that. But throughout this slump, many of my limit orders have been set at one dollar figure ($92/sh), and executed anywhere from 1%-6% below that limit price ($88/sh). Many others (probably 60-70%) execute at my limit price. No action on my part besides setting the max price at which I want to buy. But I've found that it happens most often when the price is dropping REALLY fast, like 2-3% in a few minutes.
                          "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

                          Comment


                            I raise my glass every time the market plunges.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
                              I raise my glass every time the market plunges.
                              you're BAC must be higher than the S&P right now
                              Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

                              Comment


                                Im a big spender...just dropped another $500 on vtsax.

                                I see they're closing ford and GM for 2 weeks...those stocks will be heavily discounted too. I mentioned in another thread, will be a good year to purchase a vehicle at a discount.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X