Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody buying on this downturn?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    we're just buying on schedule. I'm terrified right now and can't even stick more money into the market though I think it'll go up. I will keep investing our 401k but otherwise it's hard to put more into our taxable account. I'm not even sure I would buy some of singuy stuff that i am not willing to hold long term. Like I only own Fiverr and I bought at $50. I'm hanging on the tsla because I bought at $400 but I am very wary of buying even the VOO and QQQ. I bought both in April and now i"m really nervous. I was nervous then to sink too much into the market. I'm more nervous now. I bought in March but not a lot, I think only $50k I sunk in.
    LivingAlmostLarge Blog

    Comment


      Well, it seems that we're going to be pulling the plug for now -- We're in the process of making offers on our next house, and today DW & I decided that we wanted to go ahead and make full cash offers to avoid a mortgage altogether -- hopefully now & forever! However, in order to do that, we're gonna have to pull the money out from our taxable investments (and sweep coins out from the corners & couches ) which is unfortunate -- we'll be stuck paying taxes on mostly STCG vs. LTCG... But hey, NO MORTGAGE!!! Given that the markets are back up to their previous high-flying levels again, I suppose now is as good a time as any to pull out for now anyway...

      Once we get settled, we'll be able to turn the firehose back toward rebuilding taxable investments. Without a mortgage payment, we'll be able to do that quite quickly -- I'm estimating that our savings rate will jump up to 50% of gross, with 15% toward retirement, 25% toward taxable investments, and 10% toward short-term savings.
      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

      Comment


        Originally posted by kork13 View Post
        Well, it seems that we're going to be pulling the plug for now -- We're in the process of making offers on our next house, and today DW & I decided that we wanted to go ahead and make full cash offers to avoid a mortgage altogether -- hopefully now & forever! However, in order to do that, we're gonna have to pull the money out from our taxable investments (and sweep coins out from the corners & couches ) which is unfortunate -- we'll be stuck paying taxes on mostly STCG vs. LTCG... But hey, NO MORTGAGE!!! Given that the markets are back up to their previous high-flying levels again, I suppose now is as good a time as any to pull out for now anyway...

        Once we get settled, we'll be able to turn the firehose back toward rebuilding taxable investments. Without a mortgage payment, we'll be able to do that quite quickly -- I'm estimating that our savings rate will jump up to 50% of gross, with 15% toward retirement, 25% toward taxable investments, and 10% toward short-term savings.
        Big financial moves are nerve-racking... We've sold off & transferred out the cash on nearly all of our taxable investments for this upcoming purchase.... But I'm feeling really edgy not having any investments going. I'm itchy to start sending money back into the market (especially with all this volatility), but I know that I need to wait and hold the cash until we can get this deal to go through. ::sigh::

        I think that as soon as we've got the money needed for this home purchase safely tucked away ahead of closing (I've been pulling money into our savings account like crazy from about 5-6 places -- they'll probably have me on a watch list for money laundering after this! ), I'm going to immediately start pushing money back into Vanguard. I'll admit, I didn't anticipate how much of a visceral, emotional response I'd have from selling all the investments to buy our next house in cash. Human nature, I guess.... who knew?
        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

        Comment


          Originally posted by kork13 View Post
          Big financial moves are nerve-racking... We've sold off & transferred out the cash on nearly all of our taxable investments for this upcoming purchase.... But I'm feeling really edgy not having any investments going. I'm itchy to start sending money back into the market (especially with all this volatility), but I know that I need to wait and hold the cash until we can get this deal to go through. ::sigh::

          I think that as soon as we've got the money needed for this home purchase safely tucked away ahead of closing (I've been pulling money into our savings account like crazy from about 5-6 places -- they'll probably have me on a watch list for money laundering after this! ), I'm going to immediately start pushing money back into Vanguard. I'll admit, I didn't anticipate how much of a visceral, emotional response I'd have from selling all the investments to buy our next house in cash. Human nature, I guess.... who knew?
          Sounds like a good first world problem to some of us I don't have much experience with selling funds, but i do look forward to having those types of options or woes (if you want to call it that) with large amounts of funds for other purchases.
          "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

          Comment


            Originally posted by cypher1 View Post

            Sounds like a good first world problem to some of us I don't have much experience with selling funds, but i do look forward to having those types of options or woes (if you want to call it that) with large amounts of funds for other purchases.
            Yes, definitely a good first-world, very blessed problem to have. It's been a long road though, starting on my own with literally nothing in college and slowly building up to this point. And I found these forums back then, which honestly has helped me to learn alot. So I'll give credit where credit is due -- thanks as always to everyone around here!!
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

            Comment

            Working...
            X