Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it bad there??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by rennigade View Post

    If its clearly implied, they could just as easily say "900,000 people have recovered."

    In PA, they show a map every day of total number of cases by county. This has been ongoing for close to 2 months. That number is meaningless considering those who had it months ago or even 1 month ago probably do not have it anymore. Who cares how many cases there have been. People want/need to know how many current cases there are, currently. That number should be updated daily...not the total overall number.
    One problem is due to the course of the disease--you may not know how many cases there are currently--because folks may be contagious before they actually test positive for covid-19. It takes (on average) 5 days after exposure (I've read the range is between 2 and 12 days) to come down with the disease. It may take a few more days before the person feels sick enough to get tested. So, you never know real time what the virus is doing. But, if you track new cases (and there is sufficient testing) you have an idea of which way it is going.

    The other problem is that it can take a really long time for the disease to resolve one way or another. 900,000 people have NOT recovered, yet. In some cases, really sick individuals can be in the hospital for a long time. Look at Nick Cordero (a 41 year old who contracted Covid 19) in March and is still very ill in the hospital. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Cordero Or, the sailors on the Teddy Roosevelt. The ship just recently returned to sea-- was in Guam since the end of March. I've read the average for a mild case is about 2 weeks and is 3-6 weeks for patients with severe or critical disease.

    So, if you look at the current World o meter statistics for the US on the opening page for (5/22/2020), it is as follows: Cases:1,621,669, Deaths: 96,377, Recovered: 382,244
    We don't have a resolution for more than a million of the cases, yet.

    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

    Comment


      Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

      We don't have a resolution for more than a million of the cases, yet.
      We also don't track people. They don't have to report to anybody when they feel better, or if they don't. Unless they need written clearance to return to work, there's no process in place to record and report someone as recovered. Cases are reported. Deaths are reported. Recoveries are not.
      Steve

      * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

      Comment


        Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

        We also don't track people. They don't have to report to anybody when they feel better, or if they don't. Unless they need written clearance to return to work, there's no process in place to record and report someone as recovered. Cases are reported. Deaths are reported. Recoveries are not.
        I was wondering about that--but, I would think they would track folks who actually test positive with a test. (Contact tracing and all that).

        Here is a link to the military statistics which I would presume would track this like crazy:

        As of 0500, May 26th they have reported: 6118 cases, 168 hospitalized, 3460 recovered and 3 deaths. (All numbers are cumulative).
        https://twitter.com/TaraCopp/status/1265285318279868417

        They still have 2655 that have not recovered, yet.

        I would expect that group to be the healthiest and most fit and have the best outcome possible.

        Comment


          Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

          I was wondering about that--but, I would think they would track folks who actually test positive with a test. (Contact tracing and all that).
          Nope. As far as I know, there is no form of tracking to indicate when someone is better.

          Here is a link to the military statistics which I would presume would track this like crazy:

          They still have 2655 that have not recovered, yet.
          Not necessarily. Again, you need to know how they are tracking and reporting recovery.
          Steve

          * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post
            Here is a link to the military statistics which I would presume would track this like crazy:

            As of 0500, May 26th they have reported: 6118 cases, 168 hospitalized, 3460 recovered and 3 deaths. (All numbers are cumulative).
            https://twitter.com/TaraCopp/status/1265285318279868417

            They still have 2655 that have not recovered, yet.

            I would expect that group to be the healthiest and most fit and have the best outcome possible.
            Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
            Not necessarily. Again, you need to know how they are tracking and reporting recovery.
            Believe me, the military is tracking all of this obsessively -- in leadership circles, COVID is basically being treated no differently than an invading foreign power. Cases are relatively few, but those units with active cases are monitored extremely closely. Daily (or more) monitoring/check-ins with infected folks (equating to mandatory, on-base quarantine). They're focusing tests on high potential/symptomatic cases & often also testing after 100% resolution of symptoms to verify recovery. While individual units/bases are not reporting detailed numbers, the cumulative numbers are almost assuredly quite accurate.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

            Comment


              Originally posted by kork13 View Post

              Believe me, the military is tracking all of this obsessively -- in leadership circles, COVID is basically being treated no differently than an invading foreign power. Cases are relatively few, but those units with active cases are monitored extremely closely. Daily (or more) monitoring/check-ins with infected folks (equating to mandatory, on-base quarantine). They're focusing tests on high potential/symptomatic cases & often also testing after 100% resolution of symptoms to verify recovery. While individual units/bases are not reporting detailed numbers, the cumulative numbers are almost assuredly quite accurate.
              Good for them. They're doing exactly what should have been done nationwide. Had there been a national response equivalent to what the military has done, we wouldn't have lost 100,000 lives.
              Steve

              * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

              Comment


                Originally posted by kork13 View Post



                Believe me, the military is tracking all of this obsessively -- in leadership circles, COVID is basically being treated no differently than an invading foreign power. Cases are relatively few, but those units with active cases are monitored extremely closely. Daily (or more) monitoring/check-ins with infected folks (equating to mandatory, on-base quarantine). They're focusing tests on high potential/symptomatic cases & often also testing after 100% resolution of symptoms to verify recovery. While individual units/bases are not reporting detailed numbers, the cumulative numbers are almost assuredly quite accurate.
                Yeah, the DoD is an impressive organization. There are almost a million people under arms, they all mostly do what they are supposed to, everyone gets their orders and everyone more or less gets paid on time.
                james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com
                202.468.6043

                Comment


                  Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

                  We also don't track people. They don't have to report to anybody when they feel better, or if they don't. Unless they need written clearance to return to work, there's no process in place to record and report someone as recovered. Cases are reported. Deaths are reported. Recoveries are not.
                  When ours are diagnosed they are put on a registry and the police actually go to their houses several times a day at different times to make sure they are staying home if not they are fined big time and charged...our govt also has an app that shows that someone in your vacinity has had the virus

                  Comment


                    New Jersey announced today that outdoor dining can start June 15 as can in-person non-essential retail. Salons and barbers can open June 22.
                    Steve

                    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                    Comment


                      things here are somewhat getting back to normal with more places opening up, you can now eat inside and outside a venue but still only certain number of people can be in the venue...more stores are starting to open....in our state we haven't had any in a week, the last one we had was someone they had in quarantine in another state and they let her in on compassionate grounds..was so annoyed...we didn't have any cases in 19 days before she got here and so far only she had it...so they were discussing whether or not to do it again...I'm not sure they will otherwise we would have had no cases in a month but now its just a week...but we are doing great

                      Comment


                        Los Angeles today had 56 new deaths and 1225 new cases. CNBC said Texas is spiking in terms of hospital beds being used. 56.png

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
                          Los Angeles today had 56 new deaths and 1225 new cases. CNBC said Texas is spiking in terms of hospital beds being used. 56.png
                          A number of states are seeing their highest numbers yet: Texas, North Carolina, Arkansas, and more. I believe it was AK that said their hospitals were at max capacity.

                          The pandemic is far from over. Just because things are starting to reopen doesn’t mean everything is okay.

                          ETA: 19 states still have a rising number of cases and 7 more are holding steady. And it may have been AZ, not AK that I saw was getting maxed out.
                          Last edited by disneysteve; 06-10-2020, 04:46 AM.
                          Steve

                          * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                          Comment


                            They are wanting t open up all our borders in Australia but most don't want it, there are a couple of states that are still having daily cases where some of our states don't have any and haven't for a few weeks now and we don't want it spreading..obviously those states aren't doing the right thing like the other states..so we say keep them closed till they are...yes we ony have 9 new cases overnight in the whole country but 98 of them are in 1 state...we havent had any new cases for 15 days...was 21 before they let someone from another state in on compassionate grounds who then tested positive...otherwise we would have had no new cases for almost 6 weeks

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by mumof2 View Post
                              They are wanting t open up all our borders in Australia but most don't want it, there are a couple of states that are still having daily cases where some of our states don't have any and haven't for a few weeks now and we don't want it spreading..obviously those states aren't doing the right thing like the other states..so we say keep them closed till they are...yes we ony have 9 new cases overnight in the whole country but 98 of them are in 1 state...we havent had any new cases for 15 days...was 21 before they let someone from another state in on compassionate grounds who then tested positive...otherwise we would have had no new cases for almost 6 weeks
                              No different here. Florida is trying to enforce a 14-day quarantine for visitors from NY, NJ, and CT. However, cases in those states are down dramatically while they're rising rapidly in Florida, Texas, Arkansas, and elsewhere, so that ban makes no sense. If anything, NY should be quarantining visitors from FL, not the other way around.

                              The big problem is this has largely become a political issue rather than a scientific/medical/public health issue. Decisions are being made based on what politicians perceive will benefit their campaigns the most, not what fits the best available medical data.
                              Steve

                              * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                              Comment


                                My local news in Los Angeles said today they recorded the highest rate of new cases at 1875 today, and 47 new deaths today. 1875.png

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X