Is it bad there??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nutria View Post

Different laws, different computer systems. How strong is the Australian federal government vs the states? (The US was designed for devolved power instead of federal centralization, and that is more or less baked into the system.)
    Well the federal govt is what is doing the stimulus money it has nothing to do with the states....federal does all the social security/unemployments etc payments...states have nothing to do with it...so yes the federal have more say than the states do....although they don't have a say in what the states spend their money on

Comment

Originally posted by mumof2 View Post

Well the federal govt is what is doing the stimulus money it has nothing to do with the states....federal does all the social security/unemployments etc payments...states have nothing to do with it...so yes the federal have more say than the states do....although they don't have a say in what the states spend their money on
      In the US, the states control unemployment insurance, so are you talking about Australia?

Comment

Has anyone here been tested? How much is the test?

Comment

Originally posted by Nutria View Post

In the US, the states control unemployment insurance, so are you talking about Australia?
          yes I am...

Comment

Cases here went down from 30 something a day to 7 most recently. It's probably why we still have hundreds of tourists and other "prospective residents" still attempting to fly in daily. Harder for virus to spread in a location isolated by thousands of miles of ocean so people with vacation homes are attempting to flee their home state temporarily.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

I thought the surge was supposed to be now, and hospitalizations in were actually declining? Have they pushed it out some more?
              You are probably looking at the average number for the whole USA. The New York area (where most of the current cases are) is probably close to the top of the curve(--behavior dependent, of course). There are other places are past peak according to the IHME model.

My state (VA) is not supposed to reach peak until Apr 20th according to the IHME https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...erica/virginia
              Texas is Apr 22th https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...-america/texas

But, of course this is one model. (The Chime model has later dates.)

In my own county, we are now at 690 cases and 16 deaths (up from 387 confirmed cases and 6 deaths) from 5 days ago. My county leads the number of cases in our state. We are part of the greater Washington DC area-- Dr. Birx was saying in the press conference that they are worried about Baltimore/Washington DC area becoming a hot spot.

Comment

Cases in our hospital system decreased today for the first time since the epidemic began.
                Friday: 169
                Saturday: 181
                Sunday: 190
                Monday: 187

It's not much but it's the first time the number has gone down day to day at all. Let's hope that's the beginning of a trend. COVID patients now comprise 32.4% of the census up from 27% last week.
                Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                  Cases in our hospital system decreased today for the first time since the epidemic began.
                  Friday: 169
                  Saturday: 181
                  Sunday: 190
                  Monday: 187

It's not much but it's the first time the number has gone down day to day at all. Let's hope that's the beginning of a trend. COVID patients now comprise 32.4% of the census up from 27% last week.
                  That's all the covid inhospital cases you guys have? Seems like a lot to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post

That's all the covid inhospital cases you guys have? Seems like a lot to me.
                    That's the number of inpatients at our 5 hospitals and our long term care facility (which occupies a section of one of our hospitals).

That's not the total number of patients in our area or county or anything. Just in our hospitals. There are numerous others.
                    Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

just been looking at the number of cases in the US I am hoping that it slows down real soon...for all of your sakes...I feel bad that we have had 6400 with 64 deaths...I know australia has such fewer people than the US but I hate seeing numbers liek these....and I'm hating that it is the start of our flu season!!...I wish youu the best and stay safe...especially those of you on the front lines

Comment

Originally posted by mumof2 View Post
                        just been looking at the number of cases in the US I am hoping that it slows down real soon...for all of your sakes...I feel bad that we have had 6400 with 64 deaths...I know australia has such fewer people than the US but I hate seeing numbers liek these....and I'm hating that it is the start of our flu season!!...I wish youu the best and stay safe...especially those of you on the front lines
                        Thanks.

Here in New Jersey, we now have 68,824 confirmed cases and 2,805 attributed deaths. There have been 41 deaths just in my county alone, and we're not one of the hottest spots.

The more involved I get in some of this, the more convinced I am that the case number is grossly underestimated. We at urgent care are responsible for calling patients to give results of their COVID tests done at our two drive through testing sites. I've called many people who tested negative but had symptoms that were textbook cases. One former coworker who now works at the hospital has been sick with very typical COVID symptoms but tested negative. His condition continues to worsen, however, and I'm 99% sure he has COVID despite the negative test.

This was discussed at a work conference tonight and they said that testing too early in the course of disease could result in a negative result even in an infected patient. So folks who acted early and got tested on day 2 or 3 of illness may falsely test negative. Great! Makes it even harder to do contact tracing and mitigation.
                        Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=disneysteve

This was discussed at a work conference tonight and they said that testing too early in the course of disease could result in a negative result even in an infected patient. So folks who acted early and got tested on day 2 or 3 of illness may falsely test negative. Great! Makes it even harder to do contact tracing and mitigation.[/QUOTE]

Wow that is interesting to know and probably a lot of people who don't get tested...I know over here some people have been tested if they have been around others that have come back positive and some of them have been positive but have shown no symptoms at all....mostly younger people....its a hard one guess we are all learning as it progresses

I know our state has the least amount of measures in place compared to most we can still go out in public not just for shopping and essential things but just to get out of the house, can still go to the beach etc as long as we are doing the social distancing and washing our hands etc...and yet we have one of the lowest cases in Aust...and most of the ones we have had are overseas travellers that have it or the one ones of the princess cruiseline....so we are doing pretty well here...I think 4 have died in our state...all elderly...so I think we are all really grateful have had less than 500 cases in our state

Comment

So far in my area not to bad at all. We are in PA and got locked down pretty quickly as well. When I did have to go out on errands, my little town looks like a ghost town since the grocery store and the 2 pharmacies are a few blocks away. The first time I picked up meds through the drive-thru the girl helped me made sure I had sufficient of my drug of choice - Peanut M&Ms and volunteered to go get some for me. They check me out with all my stuff at the pharmacy most of the time, so they see my addiction. The joys of small-town living! My son is working his regular job from home and is also doing Insta-Cart as well and making gobs of money for him. He also does our shopping and my in-laws next door as none of us should be out to the stores. He does stay 6 feet away from me, but with not getting to go to work, he is going nuts not being able to go to or see his friends and co-workers. He needs that socializing. I'm so grateful for him and so are my in-laws who consider him to be the grandson that they love the most as he actually spends time with them and does things like this to help. The first couple of times of him getting groceries and then paying him back made me realize I needed to give him a credit card to use so I can get points and not have my checking account wiped out right when a big bill is due and I think that will help a bit. I just hope he doesn't get sick.

He does say that in our area, rice is nonexistent, Macaroni and Cheese, as well as other pasta, is in low or now supply, He managed to find me a 6 pack of TP so that was handy. This hit right as we were about to be going on a big grocery shopping trip, so missing that, it is hard to get my pantry supplied again. His main job is with a branch of one of the big hospital's mental health clinic and he would have heard if there has been a lot of cases. Last I knew, about a week ago we had 16 cases in a fairly large county.
                            Gailete
                            http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

Comment

Trust me a lot of people in harder hit areas are not tested even with known positives. A friend is a NP in a major hospital in the news, her department shares and "office manager" with another department at the hospital The woman has not been tested though she's been home since March sick. No one in either department has been tested because they aren't showing signs. So...30+ providers (Drs and NP, and PA) and office staff untested. But pretty much everyone is sure she has it.

Another friend whose husband came back on a private jet March 1st with his company and 28 other executives. They were "quarantined" for coming back from London at work. Everyone at some point was sick. But one particular was very ill, he was finally tested and came back positive. They never bothered to test the rest of them. They were in "quarantine" from their families till end of March but whatever. No tests for the other 27 people on the trip and plane ride. The positive test got out of the hospital.

Whatever. So underestimating cases? In highly dense and hard hit areas absolutely its bad. And yes I our hospitals are full not overrun but the PPE was tight. But if you want to say we don't have it. Okay.

I still think that other parts of the country can open up. The people in the less dense middle of the country should work and live. They probably won't visit the coasts anyway. I wouldn't if I were them. It'll be seen as disease infested areas.
                              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

You are probably looking at the average number for the whole USA. The New York area (where most of the current cases are) is probably close to the top of the curve(--behavior dependent, of course). There are other places are past peak according to the IHME model.

My state (VA) is not supposed to reach peak until Apr 20th according to the IHME https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...erica/virginia
                                Texas is Apr 22th https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...-america/texas

But, of course this is one model. (The Chime model has later dates.)

In my own county, we are now at 690 cases and 16 deaths (up from 387 confirmed cases and 6 deaths) from 5 days ago. My county leads the number of cases in our state. We are part of the greater Washington DC area-- Dr. Birx was saying in the press conference that they are worried about Baltimore/Washington DC area becoming a hot spot.
                                My county is at 1207 cases and 21 deaths. Unfortunately, the number of new cases have almost doubled in 5 days. I don't know what we are doing wrong. Schools were closed on the 16th of March. Teleworking started on the 16th of March (for those who could). Stores have been closed. The stay at home order was put in place on 30 March. Parks are closed.

Comment

Working...
                                X