Is it bad there??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it bad there??

I see all these reports on the news channels that there are masses of lines at the hospitals...and the ers are overrun etc...but then other people are sharing dated videos of the hospital parking lots, er rooms etc and they are empty...so just wondering are most hospitals busy or are they not?....Im just wondering cause we don't get a lot of news channels like you and only get a few snippets of what is happening over there...so just curious if anyone knew??

It really depends where you are. Some areas are much harder hit than others. New York City and New Jersey are the worst, by far, and the situation is bad. People are dying due to lack of ventilators. The system is totally overwhelmed. Healthcare workers and first responders are falling ill due to lack of protective equipment. There are emergency field hospitals set up in Central Park and the Javitz convention center in NYC.

There is also, sadly, a very strong political component to the response so some areas are getting more help than others.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Ohio is doing fine but our Governor was one of the first to shut our state down, March 16th. I don't think we are to hit our peak here till end of April, beginning of May so guess we still have some time to go.

The shelves in our stores were bare the 2 mid weeks of March but now pretty much everything is back in stock, minus wipes and cleaning products. Toilet paper is back in stock and they are limiting quantities of items people can buy.

Today it starts with stores limiting the amount of people allowed in at one time. Walmart and Target are no longer selling clothes, toys and other misc. not needed items. Only the essentials being sold. Trying to stop the people who are just going to the store walking around because they are bored.

My zip code has 2 to 5 cases whereas the whole state has 3,739 cases with 325 in ICU, 1006 in hospitals and 102 deaths.

Our shelter in place order has been extended till April 30th, and I expect it will be extended again, till Mid May, I'd assume.

Comment

Visitor parking lots for hospitals should be almost empty at the moment, since few visitors are allowed.

And people aren't standing in lines to get into the ER in Random Suburb because:
        • the 308,850 (as of 4/4/2020, 5:30:29 PM - TZ unknown) confirmed cases are spread across a very large country, mostly clustered in a dozen or so regions, plus
        • patients are brought inside, plus
        • only patients who have trouble breathing are being brought to hospitals.
        You aren't seeing pictures of busy emergency rooms because visitors (even news crew) aren't allowed. Officials would be smart, though, to disseminate pictures of the busy hospitals.

Comment

Originally posted by Nutria View Post
          You aren't seeing pictures of busy emergency rooms because visitors (even news crew) aren't allowed. Officials would be smart, though, to disseminate pictures of the busy hospitals.
          There have been a few videos released from inside. They're always tricky to film since you can't actually show patient's faces. I've seen one that just didn't show people and another that had all of the faces blurred out.

Also, it isn't just about how many people are at a given hospital but also what they're there for and what level of care they are requiring. Our hospital system normally has about 900 patients. It currently "only" has about 700 but at least 200 are COVID patients and that number is rising quickly. They anticipate the surge hitting by mid to late April.

The caseload is increasing and the death toll is rising. There is no Federal response to speak of, unlike pretty much every other country where the national government has been coordinating everything. Here, it is a random assortment of local and state officials as well as private parties all doing their own thing to try and address this - and that simply isn't the way it should be done. It's an extremely disjointed and ineffective way to deal with a national emergency.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Thrif-t View Post
            Ohio

the whole state has 3,739 cases with 325 in ICU, 1006 in hospitals and 102 deaths.
            In comparison, New Jersey has 34,124 confirmed cases and 846 deaths.
            Steve

Comment

Updated April 4, 2020. Count provided by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services. [health.mo.gov]
              • Confirmed Cases: 2,291
              • Deaths: 24
              I have no idea how the ERs look in this city.... I've also seen some video puporting to show empty ER waiting rooms, but with nothing in the video to demonstrate that the area shown was actually an ER rather than, say, a waiting room for an outpatient clinic in the evening after regular hours. There are people who make videos in order to back up lies or just ignorance.
              "There is some ontological doubt as to whether it may even be possible in principle to nail down these things in the universe we're given to study." --text msg from my kid

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men." --Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                There is no Federal response to speak of, unlike pretty much every other country where the national government has been coordinating everything.
                For my own edification, what is the Federal government supposed to do that it isn't? (ISTM that state and local governments -- being closer to the problem -- would be better at doing what needs to be done.)

Comment

Originally posted by mumof2 View Post
                  I see all these reports on the news channels that there are masses of lines at the hospitals...and the ers are overrun etc...but then other people are sharing dated videos of the hospital parking lots, er rooms etc and they are empty...so just wondering are most hospitals busy or are they not?....Im just wondering cause we don't get a lot of news channels like you and only get a few snippets of what is happening over there...so just curious if anyone knew??
                  It is largely dependent on what part of the country someone is in and what source of "news" you have. i have not seen any massive lines and I am close to a known hot spot.

We unfortunately have a severe lack of ethical journalists and we had network news use fake pictures and even a still frame from a movie to make it LOOK worse then it is.

In some areas the numbers seem awful but..... since the real # of asymptomatic people is not known it is hard to calculate an Accurate death rate.
                  They are also testing the after any death .....so if the dead test positive..... even if they had no symptoms and died from being hit by a truck they call it a Covid-19 related death.

I do not know what is worse those who local officials that want to pad their numbers for possible federal $$$ or those countries that are not reporting real # and trying to down play their problem with this virus.

Comment

In a way serious, in a way overblown. 300 something known cases and 3 deaths out of a population of 1.2M. All three deaths were elderly or people with serious pre-existing conditions. Lots of unknown cases still, I have a feeling the true death rate might be something like 0.5%. Once effective treatments and vaccines are devised, death rate will drop to flu levels. Current experimental treatments are done through infusion,once they devise an aerosol method, treatment will be widespread, as will be the vaccines.

Comment

Originally posted by ~bs View Post
                      I have a feeling the true death rate might be something like 0.5%.
                      Even if the ultimate death rate is 0.5%, that would still be 5 times higher than the seasonal flu. Last year, 2018-2019, there were 34,200 flu deaths, so that would equate to 171,000 COVID deaths. And all of the epidemiology tracking suggests a death rate closer to 1%, so more like 350,000 deaths. They are hoping that the shutdowns and social distancing measures will keep the number from being that high.
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Nutria View Post

For my own edification, what is the Federal government supposed to do that it isn't? (ISTM that state and local governments -- being closer to the problem -- would be better at doing what needs to be done.)
                        The Fed is supposed to work with state and local governments to coordinate the response, manage resources, and keep everyone on the same page. Instead, you've got the president standing up every day blatantly contradicting the information coming from CDC, WHO, Dr. Fauci, etc. You have the Fed cancelling PPE orders placed by state and local governments by outbidding them and even confiscating shipments of supplies en route.

The Trump administration actually changed the website of the Strategic National Stockpile to downplay the size of the stockpile and de-emphasize its commitment to helping the states. Trump's son-in-law mistakenly said ""the notion of the federal stockpile was it’s supposed to be our stockpile, it’s not supposed to be states’ stockpiles that they then use." Now I have no idea who "our" is in that statement but the website said the exact opposite - until right after Kushner spoke and then they changed the website to match what he had said.

The Fed could have (and arguably should have) shut down travel. The FAA could have grounded flights other than those deemed medically necessary. Why were thousands of people from the NY metro area still flying around the country long after the COVID outbreak in NY was well underway?

The Fed could have ordered, or at least strongly advised, state shutdowns. The spring break crowds on the Florida beaches helped contribute to the spread of COVID across the country when all of those people traveled back home.

I could go on and on but it's just the scene from JAWS playing out over and over on a national basis with the mayor (president) refusing to close things down despite the police chief (CDC, WHO, Dr. Fauci) warning him about the shark (virus).

A friend posted a week or so ago that every disaster movie starts with the government officials ignoring the scientists. And here we are in that exact situation.
                        Steve

Comment

mumof2, they are building makeshift morgues in New York City and requesting Federal help for refrigeration facilities in New Orleans because they need more space to store the growing number of dead bodies. The morgues are full.

So yes, it's bad.
                          Steve

Comment

If the president had stepped in and insisted all the states go on lockdown as suggested, the haters would all be calling him Hilter and saying how those decisions should be left to the state and local authorities.
                            Never waste a good tragedy without turning things political.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
                              If the president had stepped in and insisted all the states go on lockdown as suggested, the haters would all be calling him Hilter and saying how those decisions should be left to the state and local authorities.
                              Once a national emergency was declared, which I think was completely appropriate, that should have granted the Fed the right to supersede some state authority. Otherwise, what's the point of the emergency declaration?

And far better to be upset at the president for taking actions to save people's lives than for inaction to do so.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X