Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think incentivizing people is a great idea. Endless studies on behavior have proven that incentives work. If that's what it takes to boost the vaccination rate, I'm all in favor.

Now that those that wanted to get vaccinated got it, and those that don't want it put if off for whatever reason, does it really matter at this point? Vaccinated people are protected, unvaccinated are at risk to contract COVID, who cares at this point?
    It matters a lot. Vaccinated people can still catch and transmit COVID to others. We're only at 32% fully vaccinated in the US. It's a good start but it's far from where we need to be if we want to be able to get back to normal, stop wearing masks, etc. We had over 1,000 new cases here in NJ yesterday. India is seeing over 400,000 new cases a day. COVID is not anywhere near under control.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4201.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	722872
      This should be rolled out nationwide.
      james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
        I think incentivizing people is a great idea. Endless studies on behavior have proven that incentives work. If that's what it takes to boost the vaccination rate, I'm all in favor.

It matters a lot. Vaccinated people can still catch and transmit COVID to others. We're only at 32% fully vaccinated in the US. It's a good start but it's far from where we need to be if we want to be able to get back to normal, stop wearing masks, etc. We had over 1,000 new cases here in NJ yesterday. India is seeing over 400,000 new cases a day. COVID is not anywhere near under control.
        And I have yet to hear any mention of people getting healthier by eating better and exercising. You're an MD...why do you think that no one will touch this subject with a 10' pole...the importance of being healthy. Are people now that offended by fat shaming? Almost 3 million people die each year from obesity, something that for the majority of those folks could be completely prevented by choosing what they eat.

My wife was able to get her show around 2 weeks ago. She was sick in the stomach for around a week. Her mom was also sick about a month prior to that, for approx one week. They're both on the up and up now. It was the pfizer one. She did say how organized it was at the hospital she went to.

Comment

Ha-ha good one James. I already got my 2 shots but I would get another round for this good deal.

Comment

Ha-ha good one James. I already got my 2 shots but I would get another round for this good deal.
            In the link I provided upthread--they said that the deal was retroactive for folks who qualified who already got their shots:

"The initiative will apply retroactively to people in this age group who have already gotten their shots. It is funded with money from the CARES Act, with Justice adding that officials have "vetted this in every way that we possibly can."

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

In the link I provided upthread--they said that the deal was retroactive for folks who qualified who already got their shots:

"The initiative will apply retroactively to people in this age group who have already gotten their shots. It is funded with money from the CARES Act, with Justice adding that officials have "vetted this in every way that we possibly can."
              This is a total no brainer. Lets reward good behavior and increase buy in to system as well.

Comment

Ha ha, thanks QMM, good find!!!!

Comment

L2P, such a good deal. I wish like James suggested it was nationwide.

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post

And I have yet to hear any mention of people getting healthier by eating better and exercising. You're an MD...why do you think that no one will touch this subject with a 10' pole...the importance of being healthy. Are people now that offended by fat shaming? Almost 3 million people die each year from obesity, something that for the majority of those folks could be completely prevented by choosing what they eat.

My wife was able to get her show around 2 weeks ago. She was sick in the stomach for around a week. Her mom was also sick about a month prior to that, for approx one week. They're both on the up and up now. It was the pfizer one. She did say how organized it was at the hospital she went to.
                    The Leading Causes of Death in the US for 2020
                    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2778234

"The Table also presents leading causes of death in the US for the years 2015 to 2020.4 According to provisional data, in 2020, there were notable changes in the number and ranking of deaths compared with 2019.5 COVID-19 was the third leading cause of death in 2020, with an estimated 345 323 deaths, and was largely responsible for the substantial increase in total deaths from 2019 to 2020."

"Trends in mortality for leading causes of death are important indicators of shifting patterns in mortality. During the COVID-19 pandemic, changes in leading causes provide insight into the direct and indirect effects of the pandemic on mortality burden. Most of the increase in deaths from 2019 to 2020 was directly attributed to COVID-19. However, increases were also noted for several other leading causes of death. These increases may indicate, to some extent, underreporting of COVID-19, ie, limited testing in the beginning of the pandemic may have resulted in underestimation of COVID-19 mortality.6 Increases in other leading causes, especially heart disease, Alzheimer disease, and diabetes, may also reflect disruptions in health care that hampered early detection and disease management."

(Seems logical to me anyway that if someone came up with a cure for a disease and all you had to do was take a vaccine, it would be a no brainer.... )

Comment

Seems logical to me anyway that if someone came up with a cure for a disease and all you had to do was take a vaccine, it would be a no brainer....
                      Exactly.

Are other diseases important? Of course they are. But fixing diabetes and heart disease and stroke isn't as simple as fixing COVID. Using that argument as justification for not getting the COVID vaccine is inane.
                      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Exactly.

Are other diseases important? Of course they are. But fixing diabetes and heart disease and stroke isn't as simple as fixing COVID. Using that argument as justification for not getting the COVID vaccine is inane.
                        Vaccines work - they're a total "no brainer".

Comment

(Seems logical to me anyway that if someone came up with a cure for a disease and all you had to do was take a vaccine, it would be a no brainer.... )
                          I wasn't aware that the covid vaccine was a cure. From what I understand you can still get covid even after being vaccinated. Hmmm

Comment

Exactly.

But we know that 3/4 of people that were hospitalized were obese. Why hasn't anyone addressed this? Why won't any doctor touch that subject?

Comment

But we know that 3/4 of people that were hospitalized were obese. Why hasn't anyone addressed this? Why won't any doctor touch that subject?
                              Obesity is addressed every single day by medical providers all across the country. What's your point here? What does that have to do with COVID vaccinations?
                              Steve

Comment

I wasn't aware that the covid vaccine was a cure. From what I understand you can still get covid even after being vaccinated. Hmmm
                                I'm not looking up the exact numbers but I think there have been something like 9,200 cases of post-vaccination COVID out of over 105,000,000 fully vaccinated people. That's as damn close to 100% as you're ever going to see.

"Cure" is the wrong word though because that would mean the shot would fix someone who has COVID. The shot PREVENTS the disease; it doesn't cure it.
                                Last edited by disneysteve; 05-03-2021, 02:33 PM.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X