Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's funny... a vaccine causes your immune system to do what it's designed to do, without the threat of becoming so sick from the virus that you actually die or spread the disease to others. It's that whole evolution thing where the human brain is still a couple of steps ahead of the few natural predators that we have left, besides the burgeoning lack of intelligence that seems to be plaguing our planet.

I've already had measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, swine flu, bird flu, diphtheria, pertussis, hepatitis and a couple of other diseases, including covid! - Thanks to vaccines which produced immunity through exposure to inactivated versions of those viruses. I am stronger and healthier because of those vaccines.

I have never been worried that I might die of the flu or of Covid. Yet I take the vaccines anyway.

Second shot this coming Sunday...5 minutes of my time to roll down my window and get jabbed in the arm... I'm protecting myself, others, reducing healthcare expense, potentially saving my PTO at work, and helping put our economy back online.

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post
      It's funny... a vaccine causes your immune system to do what it's designed to do
      Yep. There are two ways to develop antibodies to an infectious agent: get the disease or get the vaccine. I'll take the 2nd option every time. Your immune system knows what to do. As far as your immune system is concerned, it responds pretty much the same way whether you contract COVID or get the COVID vaccine. You most likely will get a much better immune response from the vaccine meaning you'll have a higher level of protection that is longer lasting. And you skip the part where you have to be sick for a couple of weeks or longer.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Let me get this straight...so those who had the vaccine develop antibodies to the covid-19 virus. Doesnt this essentially prevent those who have antibodies from becoming sick and dying? My understanding is you can still get covid-19, but your body will fight it off much quicker/easier.

If this is true, then why are those who are vaccinated still so salty against those who choose not get to vaccinated? If you had the vaccine, you're protected. Go live your life. Get outside, get some exercise, take a hike in nature. Why waste your energy on hating people that do things different than you?

Comment

Shouldn't the micromorts risk factor be comparing getting the vaccine to getting the disease?

Getting the COVID-19 disease also has some long term side effects for some folks.
          Some links
          https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...m-effects.html
          https://www.brighamandwomens.org/cam...ts-of-covid-19
          https://blogs.bcm.edu/2021/02/09/wha...s-of-covid-19/

Finally, every time a person contracts the disease there is chance that it will result in a mutation that might make it more virulent for all the folks who get the disease from you...you become a link in the chain.

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post
            Let me get this straight...so those who had the vaccine develop antibodies to the covid-19 virus. Doesnt this essentially prevent those who have antibodies from becoming sick and dying? My understanding is you can still get covid-19, but your body will fight it off much quicker/easier.

If this is true, then why are those who are vaccinated still so salty against those who choose not get to vaccinated? If you had the vaccine, you're protected.
            No vaccine is 100% effective. The COVID vaccine seems to be quite good with 90-95% protection from Pfizer/Moderna, somewhat less for J&J/AZ. I don't believe there have been any serious cases or deaths in vaccinated folks, so that's promising, but there have been cases of COVID.

Herd immunity requires 70-90% of the population to be vaccinated. That's what we need for this whole mess to actually end. The more people who refuse vaccination, the longer the pandemic drags on. We can't all go back to "normal" until the vast majority of the population is vaccinated.

There are also people who aren't medically able to get the vaccine. For them to be protected, everyone around them needs to be vaccinated. That's part of the point of herd immunity.
            Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

If this is true, then why are those who are vaccinated still so salty against those who choose not get to vaccinated? If you had the vaccine, you're protected. Go live your life. Get outside, get some exercise, take a hike in nature. Why waste your energy on hating people that do things different than you?
              I don't care what people do in their own lives so long as it doesn't affect me or others and the assumption that me or anyone else isn't out living life is incorrect. Just like Like2Plan said, unvaccinated people allow the disease to spread easily and they provide hosts so the virus can thrive, mutate, and render the vaccine (and antibodies in those who have already had the disease) ineffective.

Comment

I don't care what people do in their own lives so long as it doesn't affect me or others
                Exactly. What folks who refuse vaccination or refuse to wear a mask don't seem to grasp is that their actions DO affect everyone around them.

I'm going to take any reasonable precautions I can take. I don't even want a mild case of COVID because it still means losing 10 days of work for me, 14 days for my daughter, and 14 days of quarantine for my wife. No thanks.
                Steve

Comment

I don't care what people do in their own lives so long as it doesn't affect me or others and the assumption that me or anyone else isn't out living life is incorrect. Just like Like2Plan said, unvaccinated people allow the disease to spread easily and they provide hosts so the virus can thrive, mutate, and render the vaccine (and antibodies in those who have already had the disease) ineffective.
                  Forget covid then, you better park your car and never drive again. There are countless things that people do that can affect your life. You cant always live your life in fear and you cant dictate how other people should live their lives. Again, thats why we have freedom. We live in a free country. We should all be thankful for that, apparently not.

This is getting heated. Like DS said, no ones minds are going to be changed so whats the point. Ill ride the pine on this topic now.

Comment

Ill ride the pine on this topic now.
                    I've never heard that term. It's meaning was apparent but I looked it up anyway. It's a sports reference for a player having to sit on the bench (the 'pine') during the game. The more you know....
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

I've never heard that term. It's meaning was apparent but I looked it up anyway. It's a sports reference for a player having to sit on the bench (the 'pine') during the game. The more you know....
                      Yeah we used that term in baseball. Not sure if thats used in other sports though. Probably.

Comment

Forget covid then, you better park your car and never drive again. There are countless things that people do that can affect your life. You cant always live your life in fear and you cant dictate how other people should live their lives. Again, thats why we have freedom. We live in a free country. We should all be thankful for that, apparently not.

This is getting heated. Like DS said, no ones minds are going to be changed so whats the point. Ill ride the pine on this topic now.
                        Rennigade, I do understand your perspective and was once there myself in a similar regard, at least based on the views you've expressed this far. It's a long story how my mind changed on these issues, but they did, and no, some guy on a message board didn't convince me. I get it. Just as you are free to express your opposition, the rest of us are free to question and spread what we know and live about this stuff. None of it has to do with being anti-freedom or living in fear-- quite the opposite, actually. Let's kick this thing for you, me, the vulnerable, and lets go live our best lives.
                        Last edited by ua_guy; 04-21-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

West Virginia Will Pay Young People $100 To Get Vaccinated Against COVID-19
                          https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ainst-covid-19

Comment

We got our 2nd Moderna shots last Sunday. Totally honest, I spent Sunday night and all day Monday feeling like garbage. Achy, feverish, under-the-weather. By Tuesday morning any symptoms were gone.

True to what everyone told us during our first appointment at the mass-vaccination site, just show up with your card to get your 2nd shot. It was that easy. DH through the driver's window and me through the passenger window. I don't usually take shots in my right arm, but, actually, I think I prefer it! I usually have injection site soreness, but, I am right-handed, and I think the extra movement on that arm and shoulder helps the pain subside more quickly.

Same as what the media is reporting - older people are really taking the vaccination seriously. I'm continuously working on friends in my age group, 35-45 ish, go get your shots now. There are excess inventories of vaccine and enough people have been through the scheduling process for most of the initial kinks to be worked. If you are willing, the time is now!! Do it!

Comment

Now that those that wanted to get vaccinated got it, and those that don't want it put if off for whatever reason, does it really matter at this point? Vaccinated people are protected, unvaccinated are at risk to contract COVID, who cares at this point?

And do we need to pay people to get it, golly.
                              Last edited by QuarterMillionMan; 05-03-2021, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4201.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	722872

Comment

Working...
                                X