Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaccination free for-all

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

    I would agree with you that it is not ideal, but probably better than not getting shots in arms or even worse-- having precious vaccine go to waste. (Or, overbooking--what happens if everyone shows up and then folks aren't able to get to the vaccine?)

    From the WSJ article:
    "In Detroit, one of the biggest vaccine operations in hard-hit Michigan has seen hundreds of no-shows since opening last week. Roughly 15% of booked appointments didn’t show on the first days the site, at a downtown football stadium, was open. That day, though the site administered fewer shots than it had capacity for, no doses were wasted, state officials said. Organizers have since started overbooking appointments to ensure as many people as possible are vaccinated."
    I'm not sure but seeing that it is in Detroit, it may be focused on a lower income population. No shows for medical care are notoriously high in that population because of transportation issues, work issues (can't get the day off), child care, etc. I experienced that all the time when I practiced in a very poor area here in NJ. Overbooking is a good solution. The worst that can happen is you run short of vaccines and people need to reschedule.
    Steve

    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

    Comment




      Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
      Overbooking is a good solution. The worst that can happen is you run short of vaccines and people need to reschedule.
      I think it would be far more difficult to have to try and reschedule and have to put together your transportation options twice--especially if it was difficult to get there in the first place.


      But, bottom line is this: cancel the appointment you are not using if you have more than one appointment.



      Comment


        Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
        Okay folks, any further posts regarding your personal views about COVID will be deleted.

        If your post isn't about the availability of the vaccine, which is the topic of this thread, please don't post it. Thank you.
        I'm having trouble scheduling my second dose. A co-worker who got his 1st dose the same day I got mine and I are both searching online daily. I did find a pharmacy in the next county with 2nd dose appointments available, but I didn't bite because I'm not actually eligible (must live or work in the county where you receive your vaccine).

        I find it a bit frustrating that it is possible to receive a 1st dose when there is no capacity to give you a 2nd dose. The clock is ticking. If I don't get the 2nd dose in time, am I supposed to start over?

        Comment


          Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

          I'm having trouble scheduling my second dose. A co-worker who got his 1st dose the same day I got mine and I are both searching online daily. I did find a pharmacy in the next county with 2nd dose appointments available, but I didn't bite because I'm not actually eligible (must live or work in the county where you receive your vaccine).

          I find it a bit frustrating that it is possible to receive a 1st dose when there is no capacity to give you a 2nd dose. The clock is ticking. If I don't get the 2nd dose in time, am I supposed to start over?
          That's unacceptable. The site that gives you your 1st dose should schedule your second dose (and retain supply for it) at the time of that 1st dose. That's certainly how it's being done here. I don't know why other places aren't doing that.
          Steve

          * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

          Comment


            A big part of the problem with the vaccine rollout is that the bureaucrats decided to get in and muck everything up. There should be walk-in clinics throughout cities where you don't need an appointment. This is a 10-15 minute exercise, and requiring red tape is simply unacceptable, yet so predictable when Big Brother decides to get involved.

            I live in Amarillo, TX, and our city has a walk-in, no appointments vaccination at the convention center. You just show up. My first shot I was in and out in 20 minutes; my second shot I was in and out in 12 minutes. 35 percent of our population has received one dose; about 22 percent have received both doses.

            Word is getting around about Amarillo: There are license plates from a number of other states at the convention center.


            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

            -George Carlin

            Comment


              Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

              That's unacceptable. The site that gives you your 1st dose should schedule your second dose (and retain supply for it) at the time of that 1st dose. That's certainly how it's being done here. I don't know why other places aren't doing that.
              Are the first and second dose the same? Same quantity and everything? If yes, I may just try to schedule another 1st dose.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

                Are the first and second dose the same? Same quantity and everything? If yes, I may just try to schedule another 1st dose.
                They are identical. You just get it twice.
                Steve

                * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
                  There should be walk-in clinics throughout cities where you don't need an appointment.
                  The problem is that the shots are only good for a certain amount of time once they're prepared so going by appointment minimizes waste. I believe they have found that the Pfizer shot can last up to a week out of the super cold freezers so that has helped do things like what you described. I've even heard of individual doctors' offices getting some vaccine supply and being able to expand the vaccination efforts that way.

                  Steve

                  * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

                    They are identical. You just get it twice.
                    Good to know, thank you.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

                      I'm having trouble scheduling my second dose. A co-worker who got his 1st dose the same day I got mine and I are both searching online daily. I did find a pharmacy in the next county with 2nd dose appointments available, but I didn't bite because I'm not actually eligible (must live or work in the county where you receive your vaccine).

                      I find it a bit frustrating that it is possible to receive a 1st dose when there is no capacity to give you a 2nd dose. The clock is ticking. If I don't get the 2nd dose in time, am I supposed to start over?
                      I had the same problem at MLK hospital in Los Angeles. After getting my 1st dose of Pfizer before leaving the hospital I tried to get my appointment for the 2nd dose but the woman handling "check-outs" who was sitting in front of a computer insisted that no appt was needed and to return without an appt. MLK has 2 lines, no appts with 100's of people in line, and an appt line with 5 people in line. My employer was able to schedule me for the 2nd dose at another hospital.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

                        The problem is that the shots are only good for a certain amount of time once they're prepared so going by appointment minimizes waste.
                        All appointments do is prevent people from getting the shots. We have had zero problems here. Show up, get your shot, leave. We don't need the gubmit to hold our hand. Most of us are big boys and girls. The states with all of the red tape are also the ones having trouble getting everyone vaccinated.
                        Last edited by TexasHusker; 04-08-2021, 10:53 AM.
                        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

                        -George Carlin

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

                          Are the first and second dose the same? Same quantity and everything? If yes, I may just try to schedule another 1st dose.
                          Just make sure you are using the same manufacturer for the 2nd dose.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

                            Just make sure you are using the same manufacturer for the 2nd dose.
                            Thank you, I am taking care to do that.

                            Comment


                              I'm having a lot of trouble of trouble getting an appointment for second dose. Worse case is supposedly the mass vaccine site i went to will email me 2 days before and tell me that I have an appointment. I don't know. It's ridiculous. I think it should have an appointment but it shouldn't be this hard. Our problem is there is a lot of appointments 2-3 hours outside the city but within the city areas it's impossible. So people aren't getting it in the country but in the city people are desperate.
                              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                                I'm having a lot of trouble of trouble getting an appointment for second dose.
                                This is just wrong. The 2nd dose should be scheduled at the time of the 1st dose. Why are there places not doing this? Around here, if you go for dose 1 of Pfizer today, they will tell you to come back on April 30 for dose 2. They won't leave you hanging. And they will make sure they have that dose reserved for you so they don't run out.

                                It's a pretty simple concept. I don't know why some places can't manage to do it correctly.
                                Steve

                                * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X