Comment

From the west coast. Click image for larger version

Name:	WestCoast.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	715881

Comment

I can't put an exact dollar amount on this but:

Early on in the pandemic, we did a really good job with cooking more and only doing take out occasionally. Once restaurants reopened for outdoor dining, we slacked off and started eating out more, and still doing some take out as well. Between the cost and the health impact, we both agreed we can't keep doing that.

Last weekend, I pulled out our recipe file and pulled out a couple of recipes that we both like and haven't made for ages. I went to the store on Tuesday to buy supplies and that night made a mushroom and barley pilaf for dinner. Yesterday, I made a pot of mushroom soup. For dinner, we had a nice salad, a bowl of soup, and a slice of tomato pie from a local Italian place that we really like. I also bought everything to make a pot of chili this weekend so I'll do that tomorrow or Saturday.

The point is it has kept us from eating or ordering out at least a couple of times. Less money spent and better for us.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Another win yesterday. My wife has been trying to better organize all of her sewing stuff. She was thinking of getting some type of organizer for papers and patterns. Yesterday someone posted one on our local Buy Nothing group. She responded and got it. We picked it up after dinner. It looks like they go for about $20 on Amazon so free sure beats that.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Got free samples of composite deck boards to see the color on buy nothing. Also even better we have someone in line to pick them up next week after we decide and order.
            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Paid off car loan (balance $2650) this morning.

transferred money to ETrade for a $75 bonus (assuming no glitches should have that in a week). Money needs to sit for 6 months so that is now going to go towards school taxes in July.

May do same ETrade offer for my son with money at CapOne once I know they pay it).

Comment

By sheer dumb luck, yesterday I came across a farmstand selling big shiny acorn squash for $1 each. I bought 2. Today I made simmered squash and roasted the seeds. Roasting the seeds isn't something I'd do normally, but I had some time so decided to give it a go, and since they're so easy to make even I was able to make them turn out tasty.

Comment

With all of the craziness in the world right now, it's good to remember that non-monetary wins count too.

I visited my mom today. She mentioned that one of her framed photos had fallen and the stand on the frame broke (it's a photo of my brother and I when we were young - I was probably about 1). She taped it together and wanted me to put it back on top of the bookcase it was on as she couldn't reach it.

She hands me the frame and first of all, the way she taped the stand would never work so she needs a new frame. Then I look and the frame was already cracked and taped together at two of the corners. There was no glass in the frame as that probably broke some time in the past when it dropped before. The tape on the frame extended onto the photo itself on two sides, and the photo was creased and torn along the one edge.

I told her I'd take care of it and took it home with me. I carefully removed it from the frame and peeled off the tape. I then did a hi-res scan of the old photo and printed a nice clean, color-corrected fresh print. I'm about to head over to the store to pick up a new frame and I'll give it back to her next time I see her on Wednesday. I have no doubt that she will love it. The entire thing will cost me a dollar for a dollar store frame and a few cents for a sheet of photo paper.
                  Steve

Comment

On 10/28, my wife took some of the bags she makes to an area yarn shop to sell on commission. She brought a total of 17 items. She got an email today that 5 items sold in the first week. Total sales of $160; $116 after commission and CC fees. And the owner said to let her know as soon as she has more stock!
                    Steve

Comment

It's getting cold. I don't have slippers. Yesterday I went online and ordered a pair. They looked nice and warm, have the features I want, and I thought the price was OK even though they aren't a great bargain. Heck, I even got my 2nd choice of color (only my 1st choice was sold out). I used a 20% off coupon code, but they weren't on sale, and I didn't meet the minimum for free shipping. After tax and shipping they cost $40.

Why is this a win? Because I could go ahead and pay $40 for something for my comfort without agonizing over it or enduring a winter with cold feet without slippers, waiting for a clearance sale. That's a long way from the flat broke kid I was way back when I was first out on my own.

When those slippers arrive I'll feel like I'm having a spa day. So I think it's also a win that I still get jazzed about the luxury of little creature comforts.

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                        Why is this a win? Because I could go ahead and pay $40 for something for my comfort without agonizing over it
                        Great perspective. It's important to appreciate what you have, whether it's a lot or not.
                        Steve

Comment

I booked tickets to hawaii. DH's ticket was 80k miles and I would have paid $1700. for me and the 2 kids I paid $1900 roundtrip for 3 people including upgraded premium elite seats. Without it, the total would have been $1000 for 3 tickets to hawaii at christmas. I figure that's a huge win and worth a bit of time to book everything and I saved easily $3000. That pays say for 6 months of $500/month groceries savings.
                          LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Bow killed a nice fat buck Saturday and now have 60 lbs of processed, healthy, lean, boneless meat in the freezer to enjoy for a while.

Comment

Listed an unused computer keyboard on Marketplace last night. Someone responded and picked it up from me at work this morning. $25 in my pocket and an item out of the house.
                              Steve

Comment

I redeemed $63 in cash back from our Chase card tonight.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X