Post COVID customer service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

Wages are rising. But don’t complain when your prices go up accordingly. They have to. No sympathy.
    Absolutely. That's the way it has always worked, and always will.

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post

Absolutely. That's the way it has always worked, and always will.
      So I’m curious...if Suzy was staying unemployed for $50K a year, if the IRS told you that they are now getting out of the middle, and you would just need to pay Suzy yourself from now on, would you be down for that? Because that’s essentially what you and I are doing. We are simply letting the IRS and Fed take our earnings and send it to someone else, while employers would love have Suzy actually work.

Is that sound policy? It’s not a political issue.
      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

-George Carlin

Comment

So I’m curious...if Suzy was staying unemployed for $50K a year, if the IRS told you that they are now getting out of the middle, and you would just need to pay Suzy yourself from now on, would you be down for that? Because that’s essentially what you and I are doing. We are simply letting the IRS and Fed take our earnings and send it to someone else, while employers would love have Suzy actually work.

Maybe. But I hear a lot of states are pulling out of extended unemployment. I also know that people on unemployment some are staying because of childcare. Also most who make the maximum (make a lot more) and don't want unemployment. They want a real salary because they make more than unemployment. Lower tiers i Can see, but people making double what unemployment pays? They want jobs.
        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Both the economy and labor force are in transition right now. Covid was and is still a real thing that affected both, and, I'm with James who believes it's another 6-9 months before we see "normal". People on unemployment is not concerning to me at this time.

Comment

Both the economy and labor force are in transition right now. Covid was and is still a real thing that affected both, and, I'm with James who believes it's another 6-9 months before we see "normal". People on unemployment is not concerning to me at this time.
            So you would be ok mailing some random person a weekly check for $X amount until September out of your own bank account, until September, even though help wanted signs are in every store front? That’s what we are doing, except we borrowing funds to do it.

-George Carlin

Comment

So you would be ok mailing some random person a weekly check for $X amount until September out of your own bank account, until September, even though help wanted signs are in every store front? That’s what we are doing, except we borrowing funds to do it.
              Yes, Texas, because that's what you want me to say to your made-up scenario. I already do this in some form, every paycheck, which goes to funding my employment insurance, and my employer also contributes their part. I also pay taxes, which go to funding other assistance programs, and which also go to repaying money borrowed for the assistance programs deployed during the pandemic. I continue to believe in these programs and agree that they are a good idea, because these programs are designed to help the individuals and families that need them. And it is also there for me, should I need it. There are people who will abuse these programs, but that's not why they exist, and it's not where the vast majority of the benefit goes. Most people want to get back to work and be productive.

Comment

So I in an ABQ for car service, and I just had coffee at Starbucks with a gentleman who owns two smallish franchise hotels here. They are considering closing one temporarily because they can’t get housekeepers. They are offering bonuses, apple watches, TVs, you name it.

He and his wife are cleaning rooms everyday themselves and now they are even soliciting help from their family to try to make it work. Meanwhile, you, me, and the state of NM are paying unemployed people here $500-700 a week.

How is this sound policy?

This guy pays taxes, his business pays taxes, SS, Medicare, payroll taxes. The guests pay taxes. How is it good for him to shutter a hotel because you and I are paying people not to work at his hotel?

There is an argument to be made that this is good fiscal policy?

-George Carlin

Comment

Yes, Texas, because that's what you want me to say to your made-up scenario. I already do this in some form, every paycheck, which goes to funding my employment insurance, and my employer also contributes their part. I also pay taxes, which go to funding other assistance programs, and which also go to repaying money borrowed for the assistance programs deployed during the pandemic. I continue to believe in these programs and agree that they are a good idea, because these programs are designed to help the individuals and families that need them. And it is also there for me, should I need it. There are people who will abuse these programs, but that's not why they exist, and it's not where the vast majority of the benefit goes. Most people want to get back to work and be productive.
                  that’s the problem. Folks like you don’t understand that this isn’t a made-up scenario. It’s reality. It’s precisely what we are doing. But don’t give up the fight - stick up for that liberal agenda no matter how indefensible and outrageous! You can’t make this stuff up!

-George Carlin

Comment

So I in an ABQ for car service, and I just had coffee at Starbucks with a gentleman who owns two smallish franchise hotels here. They are considering closing one temporarily because they can’t get housekeepers. They are offering bonuses, apple watches, TVs, you name it.

He and his wife are cleaning rooms everyday themselves and now they are even soliciting help from their family to try to make it work. Meanwhile, you, me, and the state of NM are paying unemployed people here $500-700 a week.

How is this sound policy?

This guy pays taxes, his business pays taxes, SS, Medicare, payroll taxes. The guests pay taxes. How is it good for him to shutter a hotel because you and I are paying people not to work at his hotel?

There is an argument to be made that this is good fiscal policy?
                    Offer more, problem solved. I'd imagine that compares favorably with shuttering an entire hotel. Nobody is owed cheap labor, and some jobs really suck. Oh the insanity, he and his wife had to do manual labor.

Comment

that’s the problem. Folks like you don’t understand that this isn’t a made-up scenario. It’s reality. It’s precisely what we are doing. But don’t give up the fight - stick up for that liberal agenda no matter how indefensible and outrageous! You can’t make this stuff up!
                      Just a few posts ago you said this isn't a political issue and here you are insulting people whose political views differ from yours. Knock it off please.
                      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

they can’t get housekeepers. They are offering bonuses, apple watches, TVs, you name it.
                        Gee, maybe a minimum wage worker in Albuquerque doesn't need an Apple watch or a TV. Maybe they need better pay. Have they tried that?
                        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Offer more, problem solved. I'd imagine that compares favorably with shuttering an entire hotel. Nobody is owed cheap labor, and some jobs really suck. Oh the insanity, he and his wife had to do manual labor.
                          Unbelievable.

-George Carlin

Comment

Another thread for people to whine about politics, vaccines, and masks?

It must be a day that ends in -day!
                            My thoughts exactly. This is getting old. All the made-up scenarios, the jumping to conclusions, the spouting of things that aren't even true. Not to mention the use of questionable and offensive words as we saw in a post not long ago, and name-calling of people who defend masks. Why is this behavior encouraged? Why aren't people booted or suspended or the posts shut down?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Gee, maybe a minimum wage worker in Albuquerque doesn't need an Apple watch or a TV. Maybe they need better pay. Have they tried that?
                              What would you propose they pay? They need to pay $25 an hour to compete with unemployment. Are we all down for that? Are we down for $250 a night at the local Hampton inn from now on? Just so they can outbid you and me paying someone to sit at home?

are you guys really arguing for this policy?

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by HundredK View Post

My thoughts exactly. This is getting old. All the made-up scenarios, the jumping to conclusions, the spouting of things that aren't even true. Not to mention the use of questionable and offensive words as we saw in a post not long ago, and name-calling of people who defend masks. Why is this behavior encouraged? Why aren't people booted or suspended or the posts shut down?
                                I agree! Cancel me! The tolerant, liberal way!

Mods...need another thread lockdown and/or delete. Cant have anything but liberal thought here.

-George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                X