Post COVID customer service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

Its a general rule for all forum posters.
    Understood. I’m just trying to figure out where I may have mocked or insulted someone. If I did, it certainly wasn’t my intent. Good dialogue is good! We don’t always have to agree.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

I think safety nets are good. I have a problem with taxpayers competing against employers by paying people at or near what they earned. I found out yesterday, that NM hasn’t even been requiring unemployed to seek employment until just this week. That’s insane policy.
      Yes - its the unintended consequences.
      james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

I could make a case that this was Uncle Sam’s poison pill to get to a $15 minimum wage, but since we can’t talk politics, I’ll refrain.

-George Carlin

Comment

Where did I mock or insult someone?
          This wasn't a particularly neighborly comment:
          stick up for that liberal agenda no matter how indefensible and outrageous!
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

This wasn't a particularly neighborly comment:
            Meh. That’s just jabber. If you feel that’s mocking or insulting, have a martini.

-George Carlin

Comment

So it looks like that UE in NM is 53% of your wage. So if a worker earned $11.50 per hour, after the $300 weekly Biden gift, you’re at $15 an hour based on a 35 hour work week.

So what does an employer have to offer to get someone to work who is already earning $15 an hour, plus extra benefits such as tax credits?

The hotel owner feels it’s $25 an hour.
              First off, didn't the extra unemployment start during the previous administration, and wasn't it originally $600?

I'm not familiar with the tax credits. Does anyone know what that amounts to for this $11.50/hr worker?

Is there a reason you assumed a 35-hr work week? Is that something that is standard in the hotel world or something this guy shared with you? I have no idea. Obviously, if it's a 40-hr week, the equivalent "wage" of UE would be somewhat less than $15 (or more than $15 if their actual hours are less than 35). I just don't know.
              Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

ua_guy -

First, I want to acknowledge that, yes, safety nets can and do work. And, there are plenty of good economic, sociological & moral reasons why someone might not like them.

1. First the economy is going to recover, slowly but surely. The need for immediate stimulus in the form of very generous unemployment payments isn't as pressing now as say, last year in April or May.

2. Transfer programs are often inefficient and have unintended consequences. They're inefficient because they don't rely on market mechanism to allocate services or payments - instead they rely on centralized bureaucracies. In terms of unintended consequences, there does seem to be some relationship between this and last years stimulus payments and the current high inflation rate. Another unintended consequence is inequality. Much stimulus money seems to have found its way into big tech's pockets.

3. Transfer programs reduce choice. Like it or not, everyone has to abide by tax regulations. If you don't pay, you go to jail. Well, what if you have a moral objection to the government's allocation of unemployment funds? Maybe you feel transfer programs disincentivize work and you feel that, from a moral standpoint, its better that people gain self respect through work? Under the current regime, you'd not be able to act on this moral stance. You can't say, make a donation to the religious organization of your choice to provide services to out of work people.

Also - the labor market turmoil Texas is talking about is real. We've lost several staff in my business currently as well. Disneysteve is probably right - its not as simple as a couple of unemployment checks, but for sure, the labor market has been disrupted.
                Thanks, James, and I don’t mean this disrespectfully, but it’s not as if I don’t understand opposing arguments.

I’m tired of the constant whining, complaining, spreading of misleading and false information. I believe it is my freedom to speak against it in accordance with forum rules.

You must be aware of some member’s constant political interjections and permeations into every single topic. It’s trolling to the point that I question the motive beyond just a difference of opinion.

Comment

First off, didn't the extra unemployment start during the previous administration, and wasn't it originally $600?

I'm not familiar with the tax credits. Does anyone know what that amounts to for this $11.50/hr worker?

Is there a reason you assumed a 35-hr work week? Is that something that is standard in the hotel world or something this guy shared with you? I have no idea. Obviously, if it's a 40-hr week, the equivalent "wage" of UE would be somewhat less than $15 (or more than $15 if their actual hours are less than 35). I just don't know.
                  I’m not sure when it started, but it’s poor policy regardless. I’m no trump apologist. He was an egomaniac idiot.

35 hours a week is typical for manual labor-type jobs. 40 hours is more white collar. If you assume 40 hours a week, yes then you’re at $14-ish per hour.

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by ua_guy View Post

Thanks, James, and I don’t mean this disrespectfully, but it’s not as if I don’t understand opposing arguments.

I’m tired of the constant whining, complaining, spreading of misleading and false information. I believe it is my freedom to speak against it in accordance with forum rules.

You must be aware of some member’s constant political interjections and permeations into every single topic. It’s trolling to the point that I question the motive beyond just a difference of opinion.
                    Misleading and false info? Link ?

-George Carlin

Comment

I found out yesterday, that NM hasn’t even been requiring unemployed to seek employment until just this week. That’s insane policy.
                      The rule requiring people to be seeking employment had to be suspended when everything was shut down and there just weren't jobs to be had. When to reinstate that rule really had to be based on local conditions. You said back in post #5 that the hotel is using only 4 of 12 tables, has the computers out of use, etc. If there are still significant COVID restrictions in place, job availability is probably still significantly reduced. If places aren't 100% open, they don't need 100% of their staff, making it harder for those seeking work to find it. As those restrictions are lifted and places need to start hiring again, then making those collecting be required to seek work should be part of the process. Some states probably did it too soon; others probably dragged it out too long.
                      Steve

Comment

Link to tax credits info for unemployed:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/unemp...210000911.html

-George Carlin

Comment

35 hours a week is typical for manual labor-type jobs. 40 hours is more white collar.
                          Thanks. I had no idea. For the record, I work 36 hrs/wk.
                          Steve

Comment

Thanks. I had no idea. For the record, I work 36 hrs/wk.
                            Yes, for folks on their feet all day, 36 hours is very full time. And your employer certainly doesn’t want to pay you 1.5 for breaching 40 hours.

-George Carlin

Comment

Link to tax credits info for unemployed:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/unemp...210000911.html
                              I skimmed through that quickly so I apologize if I'm mischaracterizing it but it sounds like they're just not taxing the UE benefits. So if you got $15 in UE that's better than getting $11.50 from working not only because the number is higher but also because of the different tax treatment. That would make the equivalent wage needed to "beat" the UE benefit higher than $15. I'm still not sure the hotel guy is right about the number being $25 because they aren't saving that much in taxes but it's probably about $17-18 because they would be in the 22% bracket.
                              Steve

Comment

Yes, for folks on their feet all day, 36 hours is very full time. And your employer certainly doesn’t want to pay you 1.5 for breaching 40 hours.
                                Actually we have providers who do 40 and ones, like me, who do 36. And we're contracted/salaried so if we are there more than 40 we don't get overtime.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X