Post COVID customer service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post COVID customer service

I am sure all of us is now encountering a new level of poor customer service post COVID. It’s like many businesses are using the former crisis to abuse people.

My first example is, I called Best Buy today to talk to car audio. I got a robot answer that just said “We are not taking phone calls as this location at this time” and CLUNK, they hung up.

Nice!
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

-George Carlin

I don't think that's a unique experience with Best Buy, not in the last 10 years or so. They laid people off this year and closed more stores.

Comment

I’ve also noticed restaurants are shifting to more of a self service model whilst increasing their prices. Makes sense. They can’t hire people, so they just say “screw you people” and go self service.

A year of free money has created an entire sector of willfully unemployed and under-employed people. Once that mindset is established, it’s hard to turn back. I am seeing it in my business - people who used to work for us and do a great job, simply not working much any more, if at all.

On the other hand, people who ARE willing to work, the world is now their oyster. We are venturing further into a mostly two-class society: The owners and the peasants. The peasants getting a few scraps portioned to them from the rich by tax code. The owners being people who own companies through stocks, or mutual funds, or other investments, and their investments are paying them substantially.
      Last edited by TexasHusker; 05-19-2021, 06:06 PM.

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
        On the other hand, people who ARE willing to work, the world is now their oyster. We are venturing further into a mostly two-class society: The owners and the peasants. The peasants getting a few scraps portioned to them from the rich by tax code. The owners being people who own companies through stocks, or mutual funds, or other investments, and their investments are paying them substantially.
        Agree on this.
        If you are one of the ones with a work ethic and are willing to hussle and grind even a little bit, then you can really cash in and get ahead in this environment.

Brian

Comment

I had to make a short trip to ABQ NM for a couple of days. NM is firmly in a COVID stupor. Its like another planet. Masks everywhere. Hotel staff stares at you if you aren’t wearing one. The people serving breakfast have full body protection on - masks PLUS shields, footies, gloves. As in hospital OR protections. Your orange juice is in plastic wrap. 12 tables to eat at. All but 4 are closed due to social distancing. Lobby computers disabled so you won’t contaminate them.

It’s amazing how masses of supposedly free-thinking people are all-so-willing to lay down their freedoms at the requirement of some whacko governor.
          Last edited by TexasHusker; 05-20-2021, 06:42 AM.

-George Carlin

Comment

I had to make a short trip to ABQ NM for a couple of days. NM is firmly in a COVID stupor. Its like another planet. Masks everywhere. Hotel staff stares at you if you aren’t wearing one. The people serving breakfast have full body protection on - masks PLUS shields. Your orange juice is in plastic wrap. 12 tables to eat at. All but 4 are closed due to social distancing. Lobby computers disabled so you won’t contaminate them.

Whackos.
            Texas - people aren't rational. They're driven by emotions as much as by reasoned conclusions. At this point, the more correct response would be to expect people to be irrational.
            james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

Texas - people aren't rational. They're driven by emotions as much as by reasoned conclusions. At this point, the more correct response would be to expect people to be irrational.
              In NM for sure! NM was very clear that they wanted no tourists from Texas during the pandemic, due to the fact that Texas was misbehaving. Yet when we opened our “no appointment” vaccination clinic at the convention center in Amarillo Texas, the parking lot was full of New Mexico license plates. Apparently NM set up a hopelessly draconian vaccination process, so a lot of their citizens just came over to Texas.

Watching the local NM news last night, it has been discovered that the state “overpaid” $250 million in unemployment benefits in the last year. And they are JUST NOW requiring unemployment applicants to demonstrate that they are seeking employment.

https://kvia.com/news/new-mexico/202...d-250-million/

Talk about a train wreck of a state.

-George Carlin

Comment

Another thread for people to whine about politics, vaccines, and masks?

It must be a day that ends in -day!

Comment

It’s really about customer service in the post covid world. I’m just citing examples as I see them.

It might be a mental exercise for some of you, for fear that simple observations might contrast slightly to the company line. Heck, our heads are so buried we can’t even agree that there’s inflation.

But don’t let your guard down, keep up the good fight!

-George Carlin

Comment

It’s really about customer service in the post covid world. I’m just citing examples as I see them.

It might be a mental exercise for some of you, for fear that simple observations might contrast slightly to the company line. Heck, our heads are so buried we can’t even agree that there’s inflation.

But don’t let your guard down, keep up the good fight!
                    its almost a moot point Texas, if companies have poor customer service, people won't buy from them. This is the case whether someone likes it or not.

Look at DirectTV. They have a terrible reputation. People who know about their dismal service won't buy their cable packages.

Comment

That’s 100% right. I’ve made a lot of changes in my purchasing after this last year. I don’t go to Target, Walmart, or Lowe’s unless absolutely required. I just added Best Buy to my list. I don’t pay money to companies that hang up on me on purpose or herd me around like a cow.

I started shopping more locally. There’s a men’s clothing shop I really like. Ace Hardware has most of what I need. And there’s a local grocery here that gives good customer service. Fired Altice internet and went local. Most of the ones I’ve written off were on some covid kick to the extreme. Hope they have fun with that - I’m not a player.

In my businesses, I told our teams early and often that we would not participate in the hysteria and if you felt the need to do that you’d need to work elsewhere. No reduced hours, playing doctor, short staff, etc. Wasn’t willing to put my investment on the line to play games. A year later, we’ve never been busier, while several competitors have defaulted on their leases and have gone dark.

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
                        its almost a moot point Texas, if companies have poor customer service, people won't buy from them.
                        Not really, especially if there is a shift across the board towards the lowest common denominator.

My mother was suppose to have had knee surgery last week. She had an appointment card. About a month ago she called to confirm the surgery was still planned. No answer. She left a message. No call back. Over a two week period she called about six times, left messages and never received a call back. Finally she drove the hour drive to the office to confirm, at which point they said they had no record (despite her appointment card), and they were going to need to schedule her for next month. It infuriates her because she was a nurse and would spend a good portion of her day following up with patients.

Everywhere I go there are "Now Hiring" signs in the windows. When I ask the managers and staff about them, they say no one is submitting applications. Presumably employers are having to hire anyone they can get, regardless of skill or ability.

Comment

Fired Altice internet and went local.
                          We've often tried to "go local" over the years, only to have the local guy sell out to one of the big players a year or two later. It happened with our alarm company. It happened with our HVAC contractor. It happened with a few others.

Just this year, the lawn guy we've used for quite a few years notified us that he was getting out of the business. He referred me to another local guy. Between the time I reached out to the new guy and the time he got back to me, he had already sold out to a much bigger (though still local) landscaping firm.

It's hard for the independent places to compete because they just don't have the staff, budget, or service (or prices) that comes with size.
                          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I actually like target. I like the order online, pickup at curb or car or in store. I just order and pick up for a lot of things. But then again I hate shopping. I still don't get the whole there is no inflation. I can't see it but sure if CPI is chained to some imaginary numbers. Or i just think maybe it's in the rest of the US and not where i live?

As for customer service the worse are banks. I'm seriously thinking of asking them are you even open? Why not just close down sites permanently. It doesn't feel like anyone is working.
                            LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by myrdale View Post

Not really, especially if there is a shift across the board towards the lowest common denominator.

My mother was suppose to have had knee surgery last week. She had an appointment card. About a month ago she called to confirm the surgery was still planned. No answer. She left a message. No call back. Over a two week period she called about six times, left messages and never received a call back. Finally she drove the hour drive to the office to confirm, at which point they said they had no record (despite her appointment card), and they were going to need to schedule her for next month. It infuriates her because she was a nurse and would spend a good portion of her day following up with patients.

Everywhere I go there are "Now Hiring" signs in the windows. When I ask the managers and staff about them, they say no one is submitting applications. Presumably employers are having to hire anyone they can get, regardless of skill or ability.
                              myrdale, thats a very fair point. Two thoughts:

First, labor market conditions are no excuse for companies to allow poor performance. They need to adjust their management style and ensure that record keeping is being done. Frankly well run companies are at an advantage in business - they attract better staff. So, its in a companies best interests to provide excellent customer service.

Second, switching costs are an issue in the medical field. Its a hassle to change doctors and, yes, you're correct, this can provide an incentive for companies to perform poorly. Why would they need to do a good job if their customer's won't walk away? In event, that's still not an excuse for doing sloppy work.

Comment

Working...
                              X