Post Your Wins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
    When this is all done, I'll probably start a thread about what I've learned going through the whole estate process.
    That'll be interesting.

Comment

I caught water leaking out of the ice maker in our refrigerator this morning. Win/lose. Things were just starting to defrost in the freezer so was able to save about $200 worth of food from going bad. The fridge was creeping up into the mid-40's, and saved most, not all of it. Probably another $150 in food in food there. We have a freezer in the garage, so in went the stuff from the house. Turned on the fridge in the RV to keep the other stuff cool.

Not impressed with LG -- at all. It wasn't a cheap model. Less than 4 years old. It has "smart" features and a phone app. Apparently none of which alert you to failure....totally worthless IOT. Now to get it fixed....lol

Comment

My neighbors gave us two free +/- 180 lb hogs this weekend. Myself and two friends processed them into Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, plain ground pork and some choice loin cuts.
        Wound up with approx. 130 lbs of processed meat to split between us. Only expense was some vac seal bags and spices. I'd call that a win.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
          My neighbors gave us two free +/- 180 lb hogs this weekend. ... Wound up with approx. 130 lbs of processed meat
          Out of curiosity, what happened to the other 230 lb? Bone, skin, offal, etc?

And did you make hog's head cheese?

Comment

Originally posted by Nutria View Post

Out of curiosity, what happened to the other 230 lb? Bone, skin, offal, etc?

And did you make hog's head cheese?
            Hogs that go through a processor yield about 70% finished product vs live weight. Many of their cuts, chops, ribs, etc. have bone in them adding weight, plus they probably count the liver, brains, and heart as yield which we didn't keep.
            Don't have a band saw, so we debone everything, also didn't save any guts, etc. I'm sure we don't get all the meat off the carcass like a professional processor would, but I didn't see anything to make me feel we were wasteful in any manner.

Also, a big NO on the head cheese.

Comment

My Corolla was cutting out and stuttering while driving. It was misfiring, to the point I could barely make it up a hill, was happy to make it home. Went to Walmart, bought a $20 OBD2 scanner, cylinder 3 misfire code. My spark plugs haven't been changed in 130k miles so I replaced them all. That didn't fix the issue. Replaced ignition coil in cylinder 3, that fixed the problem. $40 in spark plugs and $55 for ignition coil. Less than half hour job. 217k miles and counting.

Comment

Found a dime and penny on the street today. A small win, but a win.
                james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Wife called Spectrum today to cancel our internet so I could signup and get new customer price. Lady on the phone asked why she was canceling and my wife said price so she gave us a $25 per month discount for a year.

Comment

Just got the mower unhooked and tractor in the barn and big gully washer rain started.
                    I'll take that win every time.

Comment

I'll call this a qualified win...

More or less on a whim, I took Singuy's suggestion on ARKK in October, and put ~$1200 into the ETF. I don't remember when exactly, but sometime in April/May (its value had been down heavily for a while), and I kinda lost hope in its chances. I put in a limit order to sell out if it happened to recover, with a relatively arbitrary limit price that was enough to still profit nicely but get free of the volatility. Lo and behold, it actually recovered faster than I expected and yesterday the limit order (which I had basically forgotten about) actually executed. While I'm banking a cool 38% profit on the investment, I am also kicking myself a bit. For one, it's a short-term gain, so I shot myself in the foot for taxes. Beyond that, it was a silly choice to put in the sell order... No reason not to trust that the underlying growth stocks would do fine over the long term, and I should have expected that kind of volatility given what it invests in.

So as I said, I'm walking away with a healthy profit, which is great. But I'm disappointed in myself for not waiting for LTCG, and for losing my nerve on what really was an inconsequential investment.
                      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

I received the check today from the estate attorney for the proceeds from the sale of my cousin's Corvette. It was in escrow pending title transfer. It will basically cover the funeral costs, the attorney's fees, and some prep costs for getting the house ready to sell. So it's basically all spent but still very nice to have to reimburse us for those things.
                        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                          I received the check today from the estate attorney for the proceeds from the sale of my cousin's Corvette. It was in escrow pending title transfer. It will basically cover the funeral costs, the attorney's fees, and some prep costs for getting the house ready to sell. So it's basically all spent but still very nice to have to reimburse us for those things.
                          Disneysteve, I'm curious on your take of having to pay the funeral costs albeit you were aware that you'd be getting "reimbursed" when all was said and done?

For myself, I bought a prepaid funeral plan and forwarded my contract to my successor trustees/executors upon my death. They are well aware that even if they had to front the costs for my funeral expenses that they would recover at least 30x each of a $10,000 funeral expense for me but I didn't want them having to use their own money hence the prepay on my part.

Edit to add: if you don't mind me asking how much was the funeral for your cousin? No need to answer if it's too personal.
                          Last edited by QuarterMillionMan; 06-29-2021, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I just saved us $1,000! We hired a contractor yesterday to do some siding work and replace a door and a window. I was just in the garage clearing a path to the inside of the window. In the process, I checked the window and discovered that it actually works fine. There's nothing wrong with it. For some reason, I've been under the impression that it wasn't functional. I honestly don't know if I've ever opened it before.

Fortunately, the contract has a 3-day cancellation period so I emailed the contractor to let him know we want to cancel the window and just proceed with the door and siding aspects of the job.

And yes, $1,000 for a window is pricey. We're using a contractor that isn't cheap but they're very good. We already cancelled one previous contractor because we weren't happy with the service and communication we were getting and decided to suck it up and pay a premium for a company we actually trusted to do everything right.
                            Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by QuarterMillionMan View Post

Disneysteve, I'm curious on your take of having to pay the funeral costs albeit you were aware that you'd be getting "reimbursed" when all was said and done?

For myself, I bought a prepaid funeral plan and forwarded my contract to my successor trustees/executors upon my death. They are well aware that even if they had to front the costs for my funeral expenses that they would recover at least 30x each of a $10,000 funeral expense for me but I didn't want them having to use their own money hence the prepay on my part.

Edit to add: if you don't mind me asking how much was the funeral for your cousin? No need to answer if it's too personal.
                              We had no issue with paying for the funeral. We knew all along we would need to do that and that the inheritance would take care of it in the end. We do wonder, though, what people do when they need to cover an expense like that and aren't in a position to do so. Funerals aren't cheap. I guess the funeral homes might offer some sort of financing plan or maybe accept credit cards (for a fee most likely).

The total burial costs which included the charges from our funeral director, the charges from the cemetery, and the charges from the funeral home in Florida that handled picking up and then shipping the body back to New Jersey came to a total of $17,000. We are fortunate to have been able to just write a check for it but I realize that most people can't do that.
                              Steve

Comment

I went through a couple sites & cashed in some rewards.
                                Citi Double Cash CC: $129.62 (~4 months of rewards)
                                Pinecone: $66 (~6 months of rewards)
                                Others are not quite as readily accessible (Costco CC for example), or I prefer to cash them in via other means (gift cards + bonus from Discover), so those are delayed for now.

Not huge, but certainly nice to collect periodically.
                                "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Working...
                                X