No announcement yet.

2019 Decluttering Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DW worked on the floor of our hall closet today. Stored there are batteries, winter gear (hats, gloves, scarves, etc.), some board games, blankets, and assorted other items. By the time she was done, she had gotten rid of a broken umbrella, an old camera and camera bag, 4 blankets, multiple hats, several unmatched gloves, 2 board games, some craft supplies, and more. She used the plastic bins that were already there to neatly organize the winter items we were keeping, labeling one container for each of us. And with everything else cleared out, we can now clearly see and access those bins. And we have a garbage filled for Goodwill.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Hey Steve when I was on my decluttering kick this fall in the garage I gave away some kids bubbles. We're in NE Ohio and DH was asking me where's the bubbles, oops. He wanted to go outside and blow some and watch them freeze with this cold weather we're having. It's times like these that it irks me that I got rid of something small. Yes I know we can go to the $ store and buy another bottle, but this opportunity will have passed. This always seems to happen to me.

But I just said to DH, 'Oh I don't know I thought I saw them out on the garage shelf.

edit, he did make some with dishwashing liquid but needed the wand to blow. Just didn't work right on a spoon.lol

Comment

Originally posted by Thrif-t View Post
        Hey Steve when I was on my decluttering kick this fall in the garage I gave away some kids bubbles. We're in NE Ohio and DH was asking me where's the bubbles, oops. He wanted to go outside and blow some and watch them freeze with this cold weather we're having. It's times like these that it irks me that I got rid of something small. Yes I know we can go to the $ store and buy another bottle, but this opportunity will have passed. This always seems to happen to me.

But I just said to DH, 'Oh I don't know I thought I saw them out on the garage shelf.

edit, he did make some with dishwashing liquid but needed the wand to blow. Just didn't work right on a spoon.lol
        You can easily do homemade bubbles. And any kind of loop will work. Do you have any wire or bend a paper clip or twist ties or something like that.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

I laughed because this kind of thing always seems to happen to me too.

I still declutter knowing these situations will come up. I’d rather have less clutter than try to anticipate all these little moments.

Alternatively, you created a moment of blowing dishwasher soap off a spoon. Maybe not as successful but I’m sure there’s a moment and memory in trying.

Comment

I mentioned a while ago that I was donating a couple hundred pens but I never actually did it. Today I had my wife take them over to the Jewish federation where she volunteers. They said they can definitely use them. So they’re out of the house finally.
            Steve

Comment

I did a little in the basement tonight. I found a bag with 87 more pens that will be donated to the same place as the ones we gave away the other day.

A few items went into the recycling bin and some into the trash. There were also several larger items (old window shades, curtain rods, etc.) that need to go out into the trash bin but I didn't feel like doing that tonight. I have them all gathered and ready to go though. I don't even remember why we had the window shades. They were labeled as being from DD's room, but she has shades so obviously we replaced them at some point. Out they go.

That's actually been a recurring theme as we declutter - none of us remember why we even have something. If nobody remembers where it came from, who gave it to us, where we got it, or why we got it, clearly none of us are attached to it and won't miss it when it's gone.
              Steve

Comment

Not too much to report as I worked the last 4 days but a couple of things. My wife has continued working on the photo albums. She has an impressive pile to discard. I can't wait until she's done and I can take a picture of everything she's gotten rid of.

Tomorrow is trash day so I took a couple of minutes to break down the boxes from our new computer and new tv. I held onto them for a few weeks just in case there were any problems with either item but both are working fine so it was time for the boxes to go. In the past, I used to hold onto boxes forever. The last time I was in the attic I discovered several boxes from items we no longer have. That's on my list of things to address when the weather is nicer (along with the garage - can't wait to get in there).
                Steve

Comment

I've been anxious to work in the garage, but it's the middle of winter. We had an unseasonably mild day today in the low 50s so I spent a little over an hour in there. I would have done more but we're going out tonight so I had to stop.

Anyway, my general plan of attack was to start at the front and work my way back. I finished filling a 30-gallon trash bag and got that out. I partially filled another bag. I threw out a 13x19" crate of stuff, crate and all. I lined up a bunch of stuff for Goodwill. I'll see if I can make a trip over there this weekend. It wasn't a huge accomplishment but definitely made a dent, and it was only about an hour of work.

DW and I are planning to address the pantry and food cabinets this weekend. We're going to do it the Marie Kondo way and totally empty them out onto the tables and counter and go through everything item by item. I know there's stuff in there that needs to go. We've also talked about buying some better storage containers to help keep things more organized when everything goes back in.
                  Last edited by disneysteve; 02-09-2019, 05:26 PM.
                  Steve

Comment

We did the Kon-Mari thing in the kitchen today with our pantry closet and cabinets where we store everything but snack foods. We emptied out everything and cleaned the shelves. Then we went through stuff item by item. We threw out a number of things that were way, way, way past date. We eliminated items that we just never use. We organized some related items into small boxes that are now clearly labeled and more easily accessed. We took out a few things that just don't belong where they were.

Then we put everything back. Most things stayed exactly or pretty much where they were. A few things got re-positioned so that infrequently used items are on the top shelf or at the back of a shelf while frequently used items are front and center. We moved around a couple of shelf organizers in an attempt to make better use of them.

I'm sure the way it all ended up won't be the final version but it's much better than the way it was. Pretty much everything is now positioned and labeled so that it is easier to see and access and the shelves aren't stuffed full of things that will get lost.
                    Steve

Comment

I did some work in the basement tonight. First, I brought up a number of items we decided to give away last time we worked down there. For some reason, I hadn't done that. They are now lined up in the garage with everything else that has to go to Goodwill.

Then I went shelf by shelf through the other main storage closet down there. Most of that is things we actually want/need like our holiday china, flatware, serving pieces, etc. But there were still a number of items that I pulled out to ask DW about. Once I had them all out, she came down and took a look. There were a couple of things she still wanted to keep but a bunch that she was fine with getting rid of. There are also a number of things that DD made as craft projects in school when she was little for the holidays. DW will talk to her about that stuff and we'll get rid of anything she isn't attached to (which will probably be everything as DD isn't sentimental that way). So quite a few more things got added to a box down there that I've been filling for Goodwill.
                      Steve

Comment

Donated a bunch of t-shirts, jeans, blazers, vests, sweaters that no longer fit, over the weekend. Threw out a few more older electronic cords/chargers for devices I just no longer use. Going to give away an old ipod since I use my phone for music as well. Have been pretty good about trimming the fat where I'm currently living at.
                        "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

I mentioned earlier that my wife was working on getting all of our bed linens clean at once so we could sort through them. We finally did that today. Several that are worn out are getting trashed and a trash bag full of sheets we no longer need are going to Goodwill. The last step will be organizing what we are keeping in a better way so that we can see and access them easily. We want to do something like Marie Kondo teaches with some sort of container or tray so that they are standing up instead of stacked on top of each other. Now that we know what we have, we can figure out how best to store it.
                          Steve

Comment

^ Steve, I like to keep my sheets in those plastic zipper bags that some sheet sets come in. I can't get the pillow cases in them but I can get the fitted sheet and top sheet in. Makes it so easy to pull them out of my linen closet, plus keeps it organized.

Comment

^ Steve, I like to keep my sheets in those plastic zipper bags that some sheet sets come in. I can't get the pillow cases in them but I can get the fitted sheet and top sheet in. Makes it so easy to pull them out of my linen closet, plus keeps it organized.
                              We never save those, plus most of our sheets are t-shirt sheets and most didn't come in those. We also never use the top sheets, just the fitted sheets and pillowcases. We're actually giving away all of the top sheets that we still have. It's silly to keep them and have them taking up space when we will never use them.
                              Steve

Comment

DH went through one of our storage closets. We sold a number of items today for a total of $40. Still have a few outstanding items. Sold: large dog crate, thunder shirt, humidifier, squatty potty, bath lotus, dog food container. Still trying to unload 20 lb box of poly fil (anyone interested???) and two white velvet curtains. I listed the curtains on ebay to hopefully get some money for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X