No announcement yet.

2019 Decluttering Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting for the local charity to call us to pick up all of the formal living room furniture. Nice stuff, but not needed. Have another 2 loads to go to Goodwill as well. Moving is awesome for decluttering.

Comment

The pre-move sales and donations continue but are in the wind-down stages.
      Big ticket items are leaving the house at a steady pace, on their way to new homes in the community, all sold via FB.

Sold off at a super discount price to a young woman all but 6 of my wedding crystal wine glasses & water goblets. This was a hard one to decide what to do. I hardly ever use it, but I still love it and will use it occasionally. But I have more than I need and the thought of the amount of packing material and space in the truck and effort to pack & move and lack of storage in the new space made it unpleasant to think about. I just don't think I'll be doing sit-down meals for 12 any more. I decided that 6 should fulfill my needs, and if I ever do need more, I can either borrow or fill in with more plain glasses or even rent. 6 was the number I decided on and I'm really happy with that decision - it feels right. It was a decision I had been putting off, and emotionally I feel a bit lighter now that it's been made.

And I mailed off a package with a few old pairs of eyeglasses to the charitable organization New Eyes which gave me a moment of feeling virtuous.
      Last edited by scfr; 01-23-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

In the basement tonight I tossed a stack of old sheet music and got several items added to the Goodwill pile. Tomorrow is our day to Marie Kondo the kitchen. Iíll report back after we do.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Prior to our move we sold my desk, simply no room here for one. It's changed how I deal with paper it seems and not in a good way. Yesterday, I finally tackled several piles of papers, deciding what to keep and what to recycle or shred. I went to put the remaining ones to keep in our file cabinet and decide to flip through about four folders. I found another 58 pieces of paper to let go of. Old manuals and receipts for furniture we sold (yes, including the desk receipt!) were the most of obvious. So many manuals can be found online, I probably have less than ten we are keeping. I also found Honor Roll certificates from when my husband was in college...not needed EVER, so those were tossed. And then there were handouts from our youngest daughter's college orientation this summer, most of it information we no longer need or can be found online.

Marie Kondo's paper practices are ruthless but very helpful in reducing what is kept. I'd have to go back and see if I wrote about my paper purge on my blog early last year, but I'm sure I let go of hundreds of paper documents (some I did scan, such as year end financial statements). This was primarily motivated by our move. It's important to hand carry personal papers when you move. The move prior to this one we had two bankers boxes overstuffed with paper. I was determined to move with just ONE. And we did it. One banker's box of papers, and it wasn't even stuffed full. I threw our hard drives and some jewelry in the box, I think it was only 2/3rds full.
          My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
            Tomorrow is our day to Marie Kondo the kitchen. Iíll report back after we do.
            Stage one is complete. That was going through all of the drawers and cabinets that held utensils, pots and pans, bakeware, containers, etc. It didn't include dishes and glassware as we've done those previously. It also didn't include the cabinets and pantry holding food items. We'll do that next round.

We emptied out every drawer and cabinet and spread the stuff out on our kitchen table, another table that I brought in, and the counters. We went through item by item, deciding if we still needed each thing. A few things went in the trash or recycling bin. A good size pile of stuff was collected to give away. A number of items we decided we need to keep but they don't need to be in the kitchen and we will store them in the basement instead since we only use them occasionally when we entertain. Everything that remained got put back but in a more organized manner so that things are easier to get when we want them.

Here's a photo of everything that is going to Goodwill from today's efforts (and is no longer hogging space in our kitchen):
            Last edited by disneysteve; 01-26-2019, 12:46 PM.
            Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Since I'm a "book person" I thought this one was worth sharing: Today I packed up the books. I did a final purge and got myself down to just one small size moving box. I even had some room left over to add some other small items to the box. Since we are DIYing our move, the thought of having to carry the books was a big motivator. I mostly kept reference type books that I refer to from time to time, plus a couple extra-special sentimental choices. For books that I read once and am done with, I get them from the library.

Comment

I worked down in the basement this morning and got it all organized. I got rid of the comforters that I had in my attic and then stored in the basement this summer. If you remember I thought I was going to hold on to them for my girls because they were complete sets with dust ruffle, comforter, shams, and drapes. But today I got rid of them, donated. Plus got rid of an old comforter for my son's bed that he outgrew (boyish).

We have wooden built in shelves that has a ton of food items and other misc stuff. I got rid of a ton of coffee mugs that I used to drag out for outdoor picnics (my family are coffee drinkers so we used old mugs for outside). Also got rid of an old carving board and some old books and other misc stuff on those shelves. I was able to reorganize what i'm keeping and things just look so much better clutter free.

Purged a trash bag full of trash, and also went through some old wall decor and donated some of that. Free'd up some bins and stored some stuff in them to just make the place look a lot better.

I also was able to go through some of the stuff I took out of the dining room and living room hutch's last weekend and donated some of that stuff.

Ah it feels so good to purge and be clutter free!

Comment

Took 3 boxes of stuff from the kitchen to Goodwill today along with the old bedroom tv that we replaced yesterday.
                  Steve

Comment

I struggle with depression and recently started to watch Marie Kondo on Netflix. It really motivated me to declutter. My problem is that I tend to hold on to my son's therapy materials even when he's shown no interest in them and it's physically painful for me to get rid of it, making me even more depressed.

But since starting to watch the show, I've given away a few items and continue to work on decluttering. One thing that I do to help me get rid of "stuff" is to pretend that there is a fire and quickly determine if the item I am holding or watching is important enough to save as we're fleeing out the door. If it is then I keep it. If not, I then set it free ... I am much more conscious of the things we bring in these days since going "Scorched Earth" so we're well on our way to being completely clutter free soon !
                    Last edited by Scallywag; 01-29-2019, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scallywag View Post
                      I am much more conscious of the things we bring in these days
                      I think that's one of the big advantages of decluttering. The more you get rid of and learn you can live without, the more discerning you are about what new things you bring in. Plus, once you start enjoying the less cluttered environment and the peace that brings you, the more you want to keep it that way.
                      Steve

Comment

My wife has really been working on the clutter. She has continued to address the bedroom and her dresser specifically. She has always collected small trinket boxes, getting them from various places we've traveled to as well as me giving her several as gifts over the years. Her dresser was mostly covered with them. She decided it was time to start trimming down, getting rid of the ones that just aren't that meaningful to her anymore. She has also reorganized how she stores things on the dresser like headband and hair ties, getting little baskets to keep them all together neatly instead of them just being thrown about. We picked up a nice little basket at Goodwill the other day for that.

She also picked up a nice tray to organize items in our bar area, and repurposed a couple of trays to better organize some stuff in the kitchen like container lids now that we made a bunch of extra room in the cabinets with our recent purge.

I've been working so nothing much to report myself but she's been keeping the progress going.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                          She has also reorganized how she stores things on the dresser like headband and hair ties, getting little baskets to keep them all together neatly instead of them just being thrown about. We picked up a nice little basket at Goodwill the other day for that.
                          Man I wish I could get my DD to organize her dresser. I have to just stay out of her room. I cannot stand a cluttered dresser. I mean I know sometimes things get thrown there, but then I usually get it off and put it in its home. But DD throws EVERYTHING on her dresser, you can't even see the wood. Her dad would be like this if I let him. When we were in college, his dorm room dresser was just like that, so I can't even get mad at my DD because I know she inherited those traits from him!

Comment

Just a quick general update since I have only 1-1/2 days before we head out to our new home. We've already loaded a lot in to the moving truck, and it looks like when we are done our 16' truck will be about 75-80% full. We briefly considered going for a 12' truck and getting even more aggressive about purging/downsizing, but ended up cutting ourselves some slack with the 16'. This is for 2 adults in their mid-50's, 1 dog, and 1 business. In our car we'll load our "on the road" suitcases, the dog's on the road gear, 1 tote of vital documents that we'll bring in to the hotel room each night, and a few cleaning supplies to give the new place a quick freshening up before we start unloading. We're far from super minimalists like those vagabonds who can load all of their possessions into an Outback, but I think we did pretty good. There are still 2 problem areas that I need to address: 1) photographs, and 2) retirement plan papers. Both of those areas need further purging and a much better system for dealing with them. Two problem areas. Everything else under control. I can live with that.

Comment

I hear ya, scfr on the photos! Man I've got about 3, 18 gal bins in my basement of pictures!! And they're mostly of my kids so I don't feel I can throw them away. But when you have 3 kids x 4 sports each that's a lot of yearly sports team photos.

I never wanted to buy all those and would never fill out the paperwork to get them, but my dang DH always would, now I'm left with all this in my basement, ugh.

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                                1) photographs
                                Here's my advice for photographs. My wife has been working on ours in recent weeks.

1. Toss any photos that just didn't come out well. Blurry, too dark, too light, eyes closed, etc.
                                2. Toss photos of places and things with no people in them. It's great that you took the kids to the zoo 20 years ago but do you really need a stack of photos of the tigers and monkeys and elephants? Save a couple just to round out the people pictures from the visit but toss the rest.
                                3. Toss multiple similar photos of the same event or activity. Pick out one or two that are the best and save those. I guarantee if you look at pictures from a kid's birthday party, for example, there are 4 or 5 of them in front of the cake and blowing out the candles. Keep one, trash the rest. The same for sports pictures. If your kid played some sport, or sang in choir, or was in the band, you probably have dozens (or hundreds) of photos. Pick out a few that came out particularly good and eliminate the rest. You don't need 25 pictures from the 8th grade winter concert. One or two will suffice.

My wife isn't done working on ours but when she is, I'll post a pic of the stack of photos she has eliminated. It's not in front of me right now but I'd guess it's at least 6 inches high so far. And she had already done a previous round of this a few months ago where another large stack was trashed.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X