No announcement yet.

2019 Decluttering Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent some time in our collectibles room today. 3 more items removed. A couple of things relocated from the floor to shelving. One framed item hung on the wall.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

My daughter's school is having a contest where the school with the most donations to Goodwill gets a visit from a Blackhawks player. I'm in it to win it. So far we have 3 large boxes and a garbage bag full of clothes put together, and that is just scratching the surface. I wouldn't be surprised to have 10 boxes and few bags of clothes/linens. My in-laws are coming today to pick up our old plasma tv that escaped the flooding in the basement. I will miss her, but we don't need a 55" tv just sitting in the basement.

We are still cleaning up from the flood. Our city limits recycling to the one container we have, even though it is giant, and we get a complaint letter when we throw away a lot of garbage at once. We have had to toss things bit by bit. I'm hoping the solar lights we bought for the yard still work as they got a bit wet. I'm happy that I don't have to replace the shelves that got wet, but I have had to throw away about 50 lbs of sea salt, 20 lbs of flour, a lot of our freeze-dried camping food that I no longer trust to be safe, and I don't even know how many rolls of toilet paper. I'm estatic to report that my husband has recycled several of his boxes on his own. I think the Blackhawks contest frenzy has rubbed off on him and he finally wants to declutter.

Comment

msomnipotent - sorry about the flood damage and losses. Great job on the decluttering efforts. And I have to ask why you had 50 lbs of salt. 20lbs of flour makes sense if you do much baking but that's an awful lot of salt.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
          msomnipotent - sorry about the flood damage and losses. Great job on the decluttering efforts. And I have to ask why you had 50 lbs of salt. 20lbs of flour makes sense if you do much baking but that's an awful lot of salt.
          Thank you. I buy good sea salt in bulk once every year or two and they ship in 50 lb boxes. I use it for scrubs, cleaning, and brine a lot of meats. I don't use table salt at all. The flour was for the Christmas cookie baking the kids were supposed to do but never did.

Comment

Well since all posts since April got lost when the site crashed, I thought I'd bump this thread up.

I did sell 2 items on ebay this week that I shipped this morning. Another auction ended unsuccessfully today and got relisted. I'll probably go in and lower the price but haven't had a chance yet.
            Steve

Comment

Well since all posts since April got lost when the site crashed, I thought I'd bump this thread up..
              I wondered what happened! Kept getting page cannot load. That's too bad :-(.

Our oldest graduated college and moved 3 1/2 hours away. She wants some Christmas decorations, so I gotta get in my basement and see what I can find to give her. I did get rid of a lot of stuff last year, of course!, but I think I still have plenty I don't use that I get her started with.

Comment

I spent about an hour in the garage today. I basically worked in one direction and tried to address as many items as I came across along the way. I got the usual assortment of trash, recycling, giveaway/sell stuff. I cleared off a couple of shelves on one shelving unit, broke down one photo album, tossing most of the photos. I also found a bunch of old camp photos from 73 or 74. I'll scan those in and post them to the camp alumni Facebook group I'm in. People will get a kick out of those.

Lots more work to be done but I love even making a little progress. Everything that goes into the trash or to Goodwill is another thing out of our space.
                Steve

Comment

I just spent a short time in the garage before I lost interest. I did manage to pack 2 boxes for Goodwill along with a few loose items. I didn't feel like taking them over today but I'll try to get them there this weekend.

I really need to do a full on cleaning session out there, not start at 3pm. Maybe on Sunday. It might rain here which makes it a little harder as I like to be able to haul stuff out onto the driveway to make room to work but I'll see what happens.
                  Steve

Comment

I think this might be the first time posting on this thread in 2019...I did pretty well at the end of 2018 and I'm going to get back to it for 2019. Goal is to find 365 (or more) items to donate/sell.

Comment

I got my carpets cleaned in my bedroom. We took all our furniture out of our bedroom and I picked up everything off the closet floor, and I PURGED! I can't believe how big my closet is without all the crap on the floor (we have a walk in closet, so it was easy to throw things in there). I have some under the bed bins that I have to go through and see what I can part with, I've been putting that off. I have 2 bins of memento's from my childhood and college years, I think I'll probably keep them. But the wedding dress that was cleaned and boxed and has spent the last 28 years under the bed, well it will probably go back under there; although I should pitch it, but I just can't.

I also have a couple of under the bed bins of my kids school stuff. Now I have no problem pitching it, but then I'll have to hear how I kept my stuff but not theirs.ha I guess the thing to do would be to give it to them but none of them really have room yet for that stuff, so that will probably go back under the bed too. Oh well, at least it's all organized.

I did throw out a picture I painted of a lake scene in 9th grade that was under there, lol.

Comment

I spent some time in the garage. I had noticed the past couple of times I was in there how many empty boxes and containers have accumulated. I keep some small boxes on hand in case I sell anything on ebay and need them for shipping. I keep larger boxes for packing stuff for Goodwill or consolidating stuff in the garage. And I now have numerous empty storage containers as a result of all of the decluttering.

I took all of the empty things out to the driveway, broke down and recycled several of them, and condensed/nested what remained so they now take up much less space.

I also listed 2 items on Facebook Marketplace and already have a buyer for one of them. I'm meeting her after work on Sunday.
                        Steve

Comment

I also listed 2 items on Facebook Marketplace and already have a buyer for one of them. I'm meeting her after work on Sunday.
                          Just got a hit on the other item. Coming at 6pm today to pick it up.

If both items sell, that will be $35 in my pocket and some extra space in the garage.
                          Steve

Comment

First item was just picked up. Thatís $15 in my pocket.
                            Steve

Comment

First item was just picked up. Thatís $15 in my pocket.
                              I met the buyer nearby after work today and sold the other item. That's another $20 and another item gone.
                              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by MooseBucks View Post
                                I think this might be the first time posting on this thread in 2019...I did pretty well at the end of 2018 and I'm going to get back to it for 2019. Goal is to find 365 (or more) items to donate/sell.
                                Over the past week weíve found 218 items to donate. The vast majority was clothes & toys that our kids no longer used. Iím optimistic that we will easily be able to surpass my original goal of 365. Going to finish going through our closet this week and hopefully find more items to donate/trash.

Comment

Working...
                                X