Announcement

Collapse

Markets Closed Memorial Day Monday

U.S. stocks markets are closed Monday in observance of Memorial Day. Foreign financial markets will be open. The New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq will resume normal trading hours on Tuesday.
See more
See less

2019 Decluttering Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should also include ridding us of a chin up bar. Former co-worker is going to pick it up tomorrow. She has also stated she will take a bottle of rum as well as a leather recliner we don't use.

Comment

Originally posted by alliecat79 View Post
      I should also include ridding us of a chin up bar. Former co-worker is going to pick it up tomorrow. She has also stated she will take a bottle of rum as well as a leather recliner we don't use.
      Gee if I knew you were decluttering the liquor cabinet I would have gotten in touch.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Disneysteve, we tossed our ENTIRE liquor cabinet. We really aren't drinkers, have moved the box to multiple homes and now have a teenager in the house who doesn't need access to free booze. Our kitchen sink smells like a dive bar right now. LOL!

Comment

UPDATE: I have takers for almost every single item I posted today. Woo hoo! Still need to find a taker for the curtains and just posted a space heater.

Comment

I haven't had anything to report lately but I worked in our collectibles room again today. DW also uses that as her sewing room and is trying to arrange it better and asked for my help. So far, 11 more items have been removed. A bunch of others have been rearranged to take advantage of newly cleared off shelf space. There is a lot more to do but that brings the total number of items removed from that room to 136. I was actually surprised to pull out that log and see that the first entry was back in March 2018 so it's almost a year since we started working in there.
            Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

This isn't about me decluttering, but my DD23! Last week she spent all day in her room and got rid of a bunch of trash mostly! Finally, since she's in her last semester of college, she felt ok getting rid of some past school work. Nice not to see piles of folders and spiral notebooks on the floor.

And she got rid of a lot of junk on her dressers!! I still think there's too much clutter, but I won't complain because at least now I can actually see the top of her dresser. She still has a ways to go, but she thinks she's done. I won't yap at her because who knows maybe she'll get a job somewhere and move out.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                So far, 11 more items have been removed.
                that brings the total number of items removed from that room to 136.
                Took out 5 more things so 141 total.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Thrif-t View Post
                  This isn't about me decluttering, but my DD23! Last week she spent all day in her room and got rid of a bunch of trash mostly! Finally, since she's in her last semester of college, she felt ok getting rid of some past school work. Nice not to see piles of folders and spiral notebooks on the floor.

And she got rid of a lot of junk on her dressers!! I still think there's too much clutter, but I won't complain because at least now I can actually see the top of her dresser. She still has a ways to go, but she thinks she's done. I won't yap at her because who knows maybe she'll get a job somewhere and move out.
                  I'm not sure I knew that our daughters were the same age. Kudos to her for doing that. And I agree with not complaining or criticizing. Praise her for what she's done, even if you think she needs to do more. Much better for her to get positive feedback for that sort of thing. Fortunately, our DD is good about clutter. Honestly, sometimes I think she's too good and gets rid of things that she ought to keep. I've gotten several t-shirts out of her give away pile and the sweat jacket that I'm wearing right now. I also got a "hand me down" rain jacket from her. I hate seeing her discard things that aren't that old, weren't cheap, and are in perfectly good shape. If you didn't intend to keep them, why did you buy them in the first place?
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Took out 5 more things so 141 total.
                    16 more items removed today - total up to 157!

A few things I took out today are going on ebay. I go back and forth about whether ebay is worth my time but for certain things it really is the best option.

ETA: 2 ebay auctions started. I'll do more later.
                    Last edited by disneysteve; 03-01-2019, 03:03 PM.
                    Steve

Comment

• So I was forced to declutter part of the basement the other day because our stupid cat pulled a hose out of the aquarium and approx. 30 gals of water wound up in the basement. And after we clean everything, the idiot husband and child refill the aquarium and put the stupid hose back without reattaching it, and 15 more gallons wind up in the basement before I notice what happened. I'm going to have to completely drain the tank and pull up the carpeting this weekend. What really pisses me off is that NOT ONE of my husband's stupid boxes got wet!!! It was all my antiques and some food. He had one box filled with random newspaper clippings and athletic cups from his childhood sitting right next to a box with about $2,000 worth of antiques, and the water actually curved around his box and soaked mine. Thankfully, the antiques that got wet were sterling so no real harm was done to them. So far, our recycling bin overfloweth and we have 5 contractor bags of wet insulation, camping stuff, and toilet paper. The area looks nice and clean, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post
                        Thankfully, the antiques that got wet were sterling so no real harm was done to them
                        Glad to hear there was no damage.
                        Steve

Comment

• Sold 1 item on ebay for $29 plus shipping. It still had the original price tag on it. I think it was $7.95. It's been sitting in our collection for years so not a bad return. And now it's out of the house (well it will be once I get paid and ship it) and I made a few bucks in the process.
                          Steve

Comment

• This thread has been quiet.

We are starting to get ready to host Passover dinnersat our house on April 19 and 20 so the cleaning and decluttering is back in gear. Our living room/Disney display room/DW's sewing room is where we actually have dinner so we are focusing our initial attention in there.

I removed 6 more items from our personal collection today bringing the total items removed to at least 147.

I packed an 18x18 inch carton box of items that will be donated to a charity auction this summer and got that into the garage.

I worked on rearranging some of the collectibles with the goal of getting some items that have resided on the floor onto shelves. I managed to get one big item off the floor and several smaller items. Still work to be done but definitely making progress.

What has everyone else been up to? It's getting to be spring cleaning season so keep that decluttering going and share your progress (and challenges) here.
                            Steve

Comment

• Just today I listed two items on eBay, if they don't sell in the first week...they will be donated. I also listed a soundbar and subwoofer for sale on a local area FB site. I think I'll set a goal to do a donation drop off at the end of April. I don't think we will have a lot, but it's a good time of year to evaluate clothes as we change seasons.
                              My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

• Last Saturday I finally got around to decluttering my jewelry box.ha I took 2 quart size zip lock baggies to our donation store.

I have a graduating high school senior and a graduating college senior, so I'm in the midst of end of school things and planning parties (at a park) so probably no more decluttering happening around here for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X