No announcement yet.

2019 Decluttering Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We watched another episode of Marie Kondo's show. We then split up and attacked more clutter. DW continued to work on our photo albums. Her stack of pictures to discard is now about 5 inches high. I went into our bedroom. In the closet, I had a shoebox full of extra lightbulbs. It turns out that they were all for fixtures we no longer have, because we replaced 2 fixtures last year so they now use different bulbs. Four sealed packs of bulbs will go to Goodwill. A bunch of loose bulbs went in the trash (all incandescent, not CFL). That shoebox is now empty.

I emptied the bottom drawer of my dresser which holds my shorts and exercise gear along with a few other things. Several items were discarded. The shorts were folded the Marie Kondo way so they are upright and easily seen, rather than piled on top of each other. Some exercise accessories that I don't use regularly but still want went into a different drawer. That left the dresser drawer far more organized.

I also cleaned up some trash from the top of my dresser. I have a bad habit of just sticking receipts and shopping lists and stuff on there when I empty my pockets at night but it's all cleared off now.

I'm thinking about donating a bunch of items that I was planning to sell on ebay. It just isn't that much potential money to be worth the trouble and it helps raise money for a good cause. I go back and forth on that. I hate passing up the money but when I really think about it, I'm talking about a few hundred dollars, not thousands. Rather than spending all of the time and effort to list, pack, and ship a bunch of items to make $300 or $400, I can just pick up one extra 4-hour shift at work and make more than that. It will take me a lot more than 4 hours to sell it all.

We also have a desk in the family room that we just never actually used for the purpose intended when we bought it. I told DW that in the spring, I will sell it on Craigslist. I don't want to bother with it in the winter. That will open up a nice big space in that room. Not sure what we'll do then. DW would love to get rid of our wall unit also and replace it with something smaller but I'm willing to start with the desk.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Pre-move update: We've cleared the contingency hurdles regarding our home sale, signed the lease on an apartment yesterday evening, and are in full pre-move sell-off and downsizing mode. Well, at least I am. DH is off golfing today ... how did that happen? hah! Anyway ...

We will be moving from a too-large house to a too-small apartment with 1,600 sq ft less space.
      I've now sold off more than enough to cover the cost of renting the moving truck, which was my goal, and I'm no longer taking the time to track $$ in. (We didn't need to sell things to raise the money for the truck, we had that covered, but it gave me a number to shoot for as a self-motivational tool).

I'm following along with Peter Walsh's 31-day organizational challenge (1 challenge for every day of the month of January) on Facebook. When I find myself having a hard time trying to decide what to do next, I pop on FB, pull up his daily challenge, and do it. It gives me a direction and kind of kick-starts my brain. Plus, most of the challenges can be completed in around 30-min, which gives me a sense of accomplishment, and since they involve things that I'll have to do sooner or later it moves me closer to getting everything done by moving day.

It's also motivational knowing I get to come on here and brag about what I've been doing.

Comment

We watched another episode of Marie Kondo's show. We then worked together on one shelf in our computer room/office. We went through all of our note cards and paper, getting rid of quite a bit of it and condensing what remained. I know that we still kept stuff we'll never use but some of it has sentimental value as well as being potentially practical (stuff like the personalized stationary from our wedding; the fact that we still have some of it 26 years later tells you how often we use it). We also agreed to get rid of 2 books on the shelf. We had done the Marie Kondo thing with our books back when we read her book and had gotten rid of 50-ish books then so what remains is all pretty much stuff we still want to keep.
        Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Arrived safely in TX. Truck is unloaded. Decided to get rid of the formal living room furniture since we donít have one. Lots more stuff piling up in the garage to go.

Comment

Originally posted by corn18 View Post
            Arrived safely in TX. Truck is unloaded. Decided to get rid of the formal living room furniture since we donít have one. Lots more stuff piling up in the garage to go.
            Good luck with the moving in. Despite downsizing and decluttering prior to the move, I always find things to let go of in the unpacking process. I suppose having had mover's pack it is why that happens. If I packed it I may have realized I didn't want or need it.
            My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

I want to watch that Netflix show about Marie Kondo and the decluttering. Maybe that will help me. We did take a bunch of stuff to the thrift shop before Christmas. I used to watch a program called "Clean House" that would often help me want to declutter. It is something I truly struggle with.

Comment

DW attacked her clothes today. There is now a large pile for Goodwill, at least one full trash bag and maybe two. She also threw out a stack of hangars and reorganized her drawers now that she freed up a bunch of space.

The one downside is the dryer stopped working today. She has been doing a ton of laundry but Iím sure that didnít cause it. Iím hoping itís just the belt. Iím off tomorrow so Iíll be YouTube-ing my way through checking it out.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                  The one downside is the dryer stopped working today. She has been doing a ton of laundry but Iím sure that didnít cause it. Iím hoping itís just the belt. Iím off tomorrow so Iíll be YouTube-ing my way through checking it out.
                  We had a part on our dryer stop working, the thermal fuse. Cost $30, but we really did have to tear down the dryer to get to where it needed to go. Worth it in the end, but when you literally take the drum out of your dryer, it's a bit scary!

My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by creditcardfree View Post

We had a part on our dryer stop working, the thermal fuse. Cost $30, but we really did have to tear down the dryer to get to where it needed to go. Worth it in the end, but when you literally take the drum out of your dryer, it's a bit scary!
                    Not to go too far off on this tangent (and I started another thread) but we fixed the dryer this morning. Took an hour and $8.51! I need to post that to the ďwinsĒ thread too.
                    Steve

Comment

Watched the next episode of Marie Kondo. Afterwards, DW bagged up all of the clothes she had accumulated to give away. Two full garbage bags plus a few other things. She also went through a bunch of papers.

I save all of my old date books (day planner things). They've just been piled up on the top shelf of a closet. I took them down tonight, used a silver Sharpie to label the spines, and got them all stored neatly in a shoe box. The box went right back into the closet but now they aren't falling all over and I can easily look into the box and find the year I want. I often refer back to them to check when we traveled somewhere or some other info. Marie Kondo is big on organizing things into boxes to both keep things tidy and have them easily accessible. She tries to have everything standing up, rather than piled up, so that you don't have to sort through things to find the item you're looking for.

While in that closet, I also took out an adding machine that we haven't used for years. DW agreed that we didn't need it so into the Goodwill pile it went.
                      Steve

Comment

Well we are having a snow storm today (OH) so I cleaned my curio's! Took a bunch of stuff out of my curio in my living room. Packed it up and going to see if anyone in the family wants anything as some things were my Mothers and Grandmothers. I just kept a couple memento's from each of them. Curio looks so much better as its not as cluttered.

Then I cleaned and decluttered my dining room hutch and another little curio I have in my dining room. I have A LOT of Mikasa crystal pieces. I can't part with them, I wrapped them up and packed them away in a bin and put in my basement. Man I'm sad, I can't let them go. I'll get there though...it's hard. But the hutch and curio look nicer, the crystal I kept is all sparkly and clean, I love it!

I know me, and I know at some point I'll go back down the basement and just get rid of things in bins that I haven't used, but I can't do it today.

Comment

I routinely donate or give away stuff throughout the year. But the basement was really bothering me for the past few months. So last weekend, I went down there and did a major clear out. Between the basement and a few closets, I filled the back of my SUV about five times and took to Goodwill, the women's shelter and animal rescue. I also cleaned out our small pantry, kitchen drawers, misc drawers. I will go through my clothes and shoes/boots in the Spring. It's way better and I will not allow it to get to that point again. I berated myself a few times because it took me almost two days to finish the project and I'd much rather spend my time on something else! But I'm really happy with the results! That's motivation enough for me! I've read Marie Kondo's book a couple of times, but haven't seen the Netflix shows yet. I'll look for those tonight and tomorrow since we're also dealing with the snow storm this weekend!

Comment

Today, DW did more work with her clothes, getting rid of a number of items of exercise gear that either don't fit well or she just doesn't use. She also did more of the neglected laundry, now that we fixed the dryer, and those bins are nearly done. Once everything is clean, we will gather all of the like items together to decide what we can get rid of. We know there are at least bed linens that need to go, but we want everything together at once to pick out what to keep and what to discard/donate.

Tonight, after watching another episode of Marie's show, I spent some time in the basement. I can't say that I took any sort of orderly approach but I did take a large empty Rubbermaid tote and make it a recycling bin and started tossing a bunch of paper items in there. A bunch of stuff went into the trash. I also cleared off one storage shelf and started filling it with items that are to be donated. Some will go to Goodwill. Some will get donated to a couple of upcoming charity events.

I'm still debating whether or not to list things on ebay. This is a tough one for me, as I've said before. Being a collectibles dealer for more than 30 years, it's very hard to get out of that mindset but I'm working on it. I've already given away a lot of stuff that I formerly would have tried to sell.

ETA: Finished off the evening going through some old stuff in one filing cabinet and got a pile of stuff to recycle and a little trash, too.
                            Last edited by disneysteve; 01-19-2019, 06:19 PM.
                            Steve

Comment

DW continued in the bedroom today, specifically the top of her dresser. She organized her head bands and hair scrunchies into a couple of decorative boxes and cleared off a bunch of other stuff. She started going through her jewelry cabinet and got rid of a bunch of jewelry boxes, realizing that she will never need them. And she did some more work on our photo albums.

I did more in the basement and threw out a bunch of things that I've been hanging on to for years and years but will never use or need. The recycling bin is filling up and I took out a couple of bags of trash as well as packed a box for Goodwill and set aside more items to donate. I also found several things that I will list on ebay. I'm doing my best to rid myself of items that are only selling for a few dollars each but we have quite a few things that are worth $20 or more that I think are worth the time to sell.
                              Steve

Comment

Not new progress but the final step: took 4 trash bags of clothing and accessories to Goodwill this morning. I feel better when the stuff is actually out of the house, not just set aside to get rid of.

DW and I decided last night that we need to do a thorough decluttering of the kitchen cabinets. I'm off this weekend so I think we will do it then. We plan to empty out every cabinet and drawer that holds pots and pans, cutting boards, bakeware, utensils, small appliances, etc. We'll go through it all, pull out items we no longer want or use, and then decide the best way to organize and store them going forward. I'm quite sure there will be a bunch of stuff leaving the house after that exercise.

Step two will be emptying out the pantry and cabinets holding food items and doing the same thing there.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X