No announcement yet.

2019 Decluttering Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I packed a small box of stuff that we are donating for a charity auction later this month. It isn't nearly as much as we gave for the last one in August but it's still leaving our house and helping to raise money for a good cause. I'll take it to the post office tomorrow.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I finally got over to Goodwill today. I dropped off 3 cartons of stuff, one of which was overflowing and probably could have filled a 4th box. Also 4 framed posters.

I had a dream last night that I had done some stuff in the garage and turned around to realize that the open path was now at least twice the size it had been. I called my wife out to see it. So I'm even dreaming about getting rid of clutter. I guess taking those boxes to Goodwill today was on my mind while I was sleeping.
      Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

I listed and sold another item on Facebook Marketplace today so that's one more item out of the house that's been sitting around for ages and $15 in my pocket. Although it's a bit of a pain to have to meet up with people (I try to avoid having them come to the house though I've done that, too), ultimately it's easier than packing and shipping things sold on Ebay and there are no fees or middlemen to deal with.
        Steve

Comment

not exactly getting rid of stuff, but we finally got some clutter stored up on the new saferack that was installed in the garage to free up floor space (we have a total of 3 racks in the garage, we had added the 3rd). We still have an assortment of things that need to either go to goodwill or to the dump/recycling center, so hopefully that will happen this weekend!

Comment

[quote=breathemusic]not exactly getting rid of stuff, but we finally got some clutter stored up on the new saferack that was installed in the garage to free up floor space [quote] That counts, too. Putting things away in a way that makes everything look neater and makes the stuff easier to get to when you want it is all part of decluttering. I've actually been thinking lately that with all the work I've done in the garage, it's probably time to rearrange what remains for cosmetic and accessibility reasons. There is still a lot that probably needs to go but it's hard to get to everything to sift through it. If I can shift things around so that the stuff I know we're keeping is in the back and the stuff I still need to sort through is front and center, it will make it easier going forward. And I should be able to open up some floor space.
            Steve

Comment

I took a bag of clothes to Goodwill yesterday as well as an old broken printer to be recycled. Today I did a bit of cleaning in the basement and threw out a few things. And I just listed a lot of 92 baseball cards on ebay.
              Steve

Comment

I'm cleaning out an unused bedroom in my house. We've thrown out two full boxes of old paperwork so far and I have a few old pieces of furniture to donate. The room has been a magnet for junk the past couple years. Time to purge it.
                Brian

Comment

I went mostly through another box of photos and so far have a stack about 1 inch high to discard. They are duplicates, poorly exposed, and things we just don't need to keep. I'll finish the box after dinner.
                  Steve

Comment

So, over the weekend, I went through my oldest daughters closet (she moved to another state for a job), and got rid of some items she left behind.

I would've got rid of everything, she knows her Mother to well, she had post its on a few boxes, asking me to please not get rid of them when I go on a cleaning rampage.ha

Comment

I've decided to make another effort to sell some of my old Disney items on ebay.

Something I have a TON of (like hundreds) is old pin-back buttons, generally round 3 or 3.5 inch diameter badges with a picture on the front and a pin on the back to wear on your shirt. I sold a couple a few months ago but most of my listings didn't attract any attention. I'm taking a slightly different approach this time and putting together small lots of related buttons rather than listing them individually. Postage stays about the same which makes it a better value for the buyer who gets 2 or more buttons at once. We'll see if that makes a difference. There are plenty of completed auctions for similar items that sold successfully for prices that I'd be perfectly happy to get for mine. Time will tell. I started 3 auctions tonight for a total of 9 buttons.
                      Steve

Comment

Keep up the good work, declutterers!

Comment

I have a couple declutter efforts planned for 2020!

We have TONS of old pictures (prints) that I want to preserve. The current technology involves scanning, sorting, labeling, and then storing. I also have a hodgepodge of images on CD and DVD. So this winter, I'm planning on taking some time off to preserve images. The good news is that most are in print envelopes going back to 1980 or so that are all labeled by subject, and some of the prints have information written on the back. Others are in albums. I also have a very good scanner. I'm not sure what I'll do with the prints after, because I simply won't throw them out, maybe find some heavy duty cases that seal things up.

The second effort will be getting rid of all the CDs we've accumulated over the years. I see CL postings that have been out there for a while of people trying to unload a hundred CDs for $30. I just don't see Ebay listings moving, unless the CDs are rare, which ours are not. I guess the next best thing would be to donate them, or convert them to MP3 and destroy the originals (to stay legal).

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post
                            I'm cleaning out an unused bedroom in my house. We've thrown out two full boxes of old paperwork so far and I have a few old pieces of furniture to donate. The room has been a magnet for junk the past couple years. Time to purge it.
                            This has been completed.
                            Room has been purged and repainted.
                            We've moved some house plants into the room since it gets lots of sunlight.
                            A small couch will be moved in soon.
                            The goal is to have a relaxing sitting room.
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by bjl584 View Post

This has been completed.
                              Room has been purged and repainted.
                              We've moved some house plants into the room since it gets lots of sunlight.
                              A small couch will be moved in soon.
                              The goal is to have a relaxing sitting room.
                              That's great! Sounds like you have made the space more usable and enjoyable.
                              My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by creditcardfree View Post

That's great! Sounds like you have made the space more usable and enjoyable.
                                Definitely.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X