Many people have already started getting ready for the holidays. Shopping and decorating have begun and some radio stations are already playing Christmas music. Because of this, Veterans Day often gets forgotten. However, many establishments will be closed in observance of the holiday. This can put a huge damper on your holiday prep if you don’t plan ahead. So, is the post office open Veterans Day?
Is the Post Office Open Veterans Day?
Post offices are closed on Veterans Day. The post office generally closes for most federal holidays. Your local P.O. will be closed as usual on Sunday and then will also be closed on Monday in observance of the holiday.
The post office will also be closed for the following holidays through the end of 2019:
- Thursday, Nov. 28 – Thanksgiving Day
- Wednesday, Dec. 25 – Christmas Day
Services Available at the Post Office Veterans Day
The United States Postal Service employees will not work Sunday, November 10 or Monday, November 11. This means that mail delivery will not run, mail won’t be picked up, and you also won’t have access to the employee-run services inside the post office either.
However, you will be able to access your post office box on Veterans Day. You’ll also be able to print postage via the postage machines in the lobby. While Priority Mail Express is normally available 365 days a year, not all locations offer the service on Sundays or holidays. If you need specific services on Veterans Day, check with your local P.O. to ensure the services you need will be available.
What Days Will Mail Be Delivered?
Mail delivery can get confusing when Veterans Day falls on a Monday. Here’s the schedule you can expect the week leading up to Veterans Day.
- Tuesday, Nov. 5 – Open. Regular business hours and mail service.
- Wednesday, Nov. 6 – Open. Regular business hours and mail service.
- Thursday, Nov. 7 – Open. Regular business hours and mail service.
- Friday, Nov. 8 – Open. Regular business hours and mail service.
- Saturday, Nov. 9 – Open. Regular business hours and mail service.
- Sunday, Nov. 10 – Closed.
- Monday, Nov. 11 – Closed.
- Tuesday, Nov. 12 – Open. Regular business hours and mail service.
If you need to ship something on Monday and can’t wait for the post office to open on Tuesday, there are a few other options to ship your package. The two best-known shipping services are FedEx and UPS. Will they be open?
Is FedEx Open Veterans Day?
FedEx is open on Veterans Day. FedEx will be open on Sunday and Monday. The delivery service may have altered hours for the holiday though, so you’ll want to call ahead and check their Veterans Day hours.
Will UPS Be Open?
UPS is open on Veterans Day. UPS does not close for Veterans Day. The company will provide normal delivery and pick-up services.
In general, all government-run businesses will be closed on Sunday and Monday in observance of Veterans Day. This includes the post office. If you have specific questions about your local P.O.’s hours, give them a call.
- Save Money at Disney With These Veterans Discounts
- Organizations That Help Veterans (And How You Can Get Involved)
- Which Retailers Offer Discounts to Veterans?
- Giving Back to Veterans: 10 Tax-Deductible Charities to Say ‘Thanks’