Is the Post Office Open on New Year’s Day?
No, the post office is not open on New Year’s Day. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is a federal agency, so it follows the federal holiday schedule. As a result, no post office workers will be available, and mail deliveries will not run.
However, certain services may be available. If you have a post office box in an unsecured part of the building, you can access it even on holidays. Similarly, if there are self-service kiosks, those may still be accessible and operational on New Year’s Day.
It’s only services that require USPS personnel that won’t be available. For example, you won’t be able to bring in a missed delivery slip and retrieve a package. Along the same line, if you get postage through the kiosk and what you want to mail won’t fit into an available outgoing mail slot, you won’t be able to get it officially in the hands of USPS until the next business day, which is Saturday, January 2, 2021.
Does the Post Office Open on New Year’s Eve?
Yes, the post office is open on New Year’s Eve. December 31 is not a federal holiday, and, in 2021, it falls on a weekday, so USPS doesn’t close.
Post Office Holiday Schedule 2021
The post office follows the federal holiday schedule. Here’s a look at the holiday closure calendar for 2020:
- New Year’s Day – Friday, January 1
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, January 18: The post office is closed
- Washington’s Birthday (Presidents Day) – Monday, February 15: The post office is closed
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 31: The post office is closed
- Independence Day (Observed) – Monday, July 5: The post office is closed
- Labor Day – Monday, September 6: The post office is closed
- Columbus Day – Monday, October 11: The post office is closed
- Veterans Day – Thursday, November 11: The post office is closed
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 25: The post office is closed
- Christmas Day – Saturday, December 25: The post office is closed
Since July 4 falls on a Sunday in 2021, the federal government is observing the Independence Day holiday on Monday, July 5. This means there will be no USPS services for customers or deliveries that day.
Post Office Normal Hours
Aside from holidays, post office locations follow a regular operating schedule. While the exact opening and closing times may vary from one USPS post office to the next, the majority use similar hours.
Monday through Friday, a post office usually opens at 8:00 or 8:30 am and closes at 5:00 or 6:00 pm. However, some may open as early as 7:30 am or close as late as 9:00 pm.
Certain post offices are also open on Saturdays, but not all locations open their doors. For those that open, the hours are typically shorter than their Monday through Friday schedules.
If you want to see exactly when your local post office is open, checking the USPS website is usually the best move. That way, you can see your location’s schedule and plan your trip accordingly.
Is UPS Open on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day?
UPS is not open on New Year’s Day. All services except UPS Express Critical are not available on January 1.
However, UPS maintains its usual operating hours on New Year’s Eve. That means, on December 31, 2020, all typical services are available to customers.
Is FedEx Open on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day?
FedEx is not open on New Year’s Day. The only service that remains operational on holidays is FedEx Custom Critical. Otherwise, all other services are not available on January 1.
On New Year’s Eve, many FedEx services run on modified schedules. Some locations may have early drop box pickups, and FedEx Office locations will close no later than 6:00 pm local time. For FedEx Freight, only prearranged pickups and deliveries are made. However, other services – including FedEx Home Delivery, FedEx SmartPost, and FedEx Ground, will follow their usual operating hours on New Year’s Eve.
- Start the New Year with These Savings Goals
- Diet Bet: Lose Weight and Save Money in the New Year
- Six Financial New Year’s Resolutions That You Might Actually Keep