Influenza season has already begun and many people are looking for low-cost ways to stay healthy. The best way to avoid falling ill, however, is getting a flu shot. Despite that, many people still avoid getting vaccinated against the flu every year, but you really shouldn’t.
Projections For This Year’s Flu Season
Last year’s flu season was intense. Millions of individuals got sick and there were even a few deaths as a result. This happens every single year even though inoculations are available to help prevent people from falling ill.
It is predicted that the 2019-2020 flu season will peak earlier than usual. Therefore, it is important you get inoculated as soon as possible. While you can get the flu even though you get the shot, it will decrease the length of time you are sick as well as the severity of the symptoms.
Health officials are recommending you get the shot before the end of October. It is especially important for children under the age of one, seniors 65 and older, pregnant women, and individuals suffering from pre-existing medical conditions to get a flu shot.
Where You Can Get a Flu Shot For Free
Even if you don’t meet the end of October deadline, it is still a good idea to get the shot. The standard price for a flu shot is between $30 and $40, but it is possible to get discounted and free shots. Here’s how.
- Call your doctor: Individuals with insurance will probably fair the best by going to their primary care physician. Most insurance companies cover the shot completely.
- College students: Most colleges offer free flu shots to enrolled students. You’ll need to check your school’s website to confirm whether or not your institution does.
- Costco: Costco is offering flu shots for $19.99 (no membership required).
- Employers: Some employers may offer free flu shots to employees. Check with your employer to see if they offer this perk.
- Flu shot rewards: If you go to get a flu shot, you should consider looking for places that offer coupons or gift card rewards for getting your shot. CVS, for instance, is offering a $5 off $25 coupon for anyone who gets a flu shot there.
- Health department: Some areas may have a health department offering free flu shots but they will be limited.
- Veteran Services: Military members and veterans can get a free flu shot through Veterans Affairs at the closest VA center.
Exact prices and availability may vary store to store. It is always a good idea to call ahead before you head out for your shot to confirm.
- 80,000 People Died Last Winter, It’s Time to Get Your Flu Shot
- Why Intermittent Fasting May Not Be Great For Your Health
- How Mindfulness at Work Helps Your Health … and Maybe Even Your Bank Account
- How Mental Health Issues Impact Finances