No announcement yet.

Advice on wife's idea for our finances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am so happy to read this. You two are certainly a success story. I wish others would take finances as seriously as you. I have a few friends in serious financial trouble but they haven't hit bottom yet. Congratulations to both of you!

Comment

I can't believe it has been almost a year already. Glad to hear you are successful!

Comment

Here to provide a yearly update. My wife has never been happier with what we agreed to and how great our finances now are. What has been interesting is that with her in control of the finances, she has slowly taken control over more aspects of our relationship.

This has occurred in many ways. First, she took to heart my wanting her to enjoy her financial independence. She decided, and I agreed with, that to reduce our outlay that we should downsize our house, the two of us, who are older, didn’t need that big of a house. This gave us about an extra thousand per month. So, in addition to her putting a substantial amount into our savings (remember we also don't have credit card payments), almost all of our discretionary spending is for her. She upgraded her car to a top of the line 2 year old Accord and I got her 12 year old Civic which is better than the 15 year old Accord I had. Also now she doesn’t have to give me as much for gas. She has also been buying herself some new clothes and jewelry, the latter she never had much of due to my spending. She does want me to have more money, but rather than raising my allowance she decided I could earn more money by doing chores around the house. Each chore has an amount I can earn assigned to it, so if I have done a good job she adds that to my allowance. I won’t go into details, but the amounts aren’t large but fair. I can easily get to $30/week.

The quote, “[S]he who controls the purse strings, controls the household (or “makes the rules”, depending on the version)” seems very applicable for our situation. Over the past two years, and particularly the last year, I have deferred more and more to her judgement and decisions. She, of course, asks my opinion, and may modify her decision based on that, but she pretty much knows what is best for us and acts on it. This is occurring for two reasons: 1) how happy my wife is, and 2) how well we are doing financially. Even with her spending, essentially, as she pleases for herself (this includes good vacations for both of us) our savings have gone up a lot. (I guess I didn’t realize how much I had been spending in the past.)

This past week we redid our written agreement for the last time. We made the two account system permanent and, with my being able to do chores to earn more money, made my $20/week allowance permanent. Again both my and her sister witnessed this.

Not only is she happier than ever, and am too, as I am no longer messing up our finances and we are doing very well.

Comment

That is awesome news glad that it is working out for you guys....although I'm not sure about the amount she is spending on herself compared to what you get...if it works for you guys then good for you...glad you are both stress free and your financial future looks bright

Comment

Amazing teamwork - congrats!

Comment

Hard to believe that it has been a year already! Congrats! You two sound like the couple I wish we were. We have been looking to downsize for a few years but my husband can't let go of the idea of owning a McMansion. We take turns getting the new car and the other person gets to choose if they want to keep their car or take the other old one. My husband is still taking money out of the checking account whenever he wants but he can't access the savings or stocks. I am in charge of practically everything here, including where we go for vacations. If it was up to him, we would either be going to Hawaii every 6 months or go nowhere at all. I think it is normal for her to buy some things for herself considering that she couldn't buy anything before because of his spending. It is her turn, as long as they can afford it and it doesn't cause problems. As long as your needs are being met and the both of you are happy, keep doing what you are doing!

Comment

Working...
              X