Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

You’ve come a long way corn.

i haven’t updated for a couple of weeks but we’re a bit over $1.1 million.
    SA got my spending under control, bogleheads got my investing on the right track. I am very sincere when I say they saved my life. Especially these fora.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
      I haven’'t updated for a couple of weeks but we’'re a bit over $1.1 million.
      I was curious after posting this. The actual total is $1,163, 347.12.
      Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
      * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
      * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I have to say we hit $925k in retirement accounts. I just checked today. I'm hoping to hit $1M in retirement this year but probably it's too hard to make. I'm starting to invest more our cash we held onto because we aren't going to buy an investment property this year. So I'll start DCA it into the market over the next few weeks.
        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

We have $538,813.78 in retirement savings, whoop, whoop!!

I'm not sure how many more years until retirement?? I struggle with that. My DH is 55 and can retire with a full pension in 2 years and we'd be fine, but no healthcare , so he has to keep working.

Our youngest is starting college in the fall so, I think, he at least has to keep working another 4 or 5 years until the youngest finds a job and can carry his own benefits.

Between his pension, I have a small pension, and I get social security, that will replace our work income. Our retirement savings are just gravy at this point, but probably will be used on healthcare.

It's weird to think we are getting old enough to retire, how did that happen????

Comment

Originally posted by Randomsaver View Post
            Retirement Account Savings . . . count it up.

I've a long waaaaaays to go . . 10 years including this year is my target.

Retirement Savings : $145K
            I'm a little ahead of you with a little less time til retirement! Last I looked I was sitting at like $173k. Target retirment=8 years. These market swings lately have been crazy though - or maybe I'm just noticing them more now that there's enough in the account to make a noticeable swing. Made a post in Jan. and I think I was around $158k then - certainly haven't contributed $15k in that time. ETA had to double check because I was curious... balance 1/1 was just under $154k and my contributions year to date are just under $4,900
            Last edited by riverwed070707; 04-23-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I just turned 41 earlier this month and today hit a small milestone, broke the 500k mark in my investment accounts!
              I typically look at the account totals at the end of every month but have been watching it since I was so close to the 500k mark.

Comment

Originally posted by tqf258 View Post
                I just turned 41 earlier this month and today hit a small milestone, broke the 500k mark in my investment accounts!
                I typically look at the account totals at the end of every month but have been watching it since I was so close to the 500k mark.
                tqf - great work. Why do you think you've had that level of success?

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

tqf - great work. Why do you think you've had that level of success?
                  Slow and steady investing through company 401k's and decent match. Got serious about retirement saving when I turned 28 or 29 and have been able to max out account for the last 6 or 7 years.

Comment

As of yesterday, we have $512,997.99 in retirement savings plus about $50,000 in cash that I need to figure out what to do with. Not as good as it should be, but still pretty good considering we were $41,586.95 in debt with no retirement savings on 8/15/2011.

Comment

Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post
                      As of yesterday, we have $512,997.99 in retirement savings plus about $50,000 in cash that I need to figure out what to do with. Not as good as it should be, but still pretty good considering we were $41,586.95 in debt with no retirement savings on 8/15/2011.
                      I would say going from a negative net worth to where you are now is frankly outstanding. The last time I checked, the median net worth of the average American was something like $125,000. So, you're ahead of the game.
                      [email protected]

Comment

I would say going from a negative net worth to where you are now is frankly outstanding. The last time I checked, the median net worth of the average American was something like $125,000. So, you're ahead of the game.
                        It is just very hard for me to be happy about it considering that we had $350,000 in the 401k's before my husband gave it away, and I can't help thinking about how we would easily be millionaires by now if he wasn't so stupid with money. We are currently in a power struggle because he wants to give $20,000 to his brother to pay him back for his "investment" in the failed start-up. Morally, I have no problems with this, but I thought it was $10,000 and he was going to offer part of those stupid coins in lieu of cash. It seems like every time we get some cash in our accounts, he tells me how many thousands of dollars "we" owe someone.

Comment

Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post

It is just very hard for me to be happy about it considering that we had $350,000 in the 401k's before my husband gave it away, and I can't help thinking about how we would easily be millionaires by now if he wasn't so stupid with money. We are currently in a power struggle because he wants to give $20,000 to his brother to pay him back for his "investment" in the failed start-up. Morally, I have no problems with this, but I thought it was $10,000 and he was going to offer part of those stupid coins in lieu of cash. It seems like every time we get some cash in our accounts, he tells me how many thousands of dollars "we" owe someone.
                          What coins are you talking about? The reason I'm asking is some coins have precious metals in them, which means the coins have a dollar value. For example a collectable coin made of 99.997% silver will be worth whatever the value of silver is at the moment.
                          [email protected]

Comment

What coins are you talking about? The reason I'm asking is some coins have precious metals in them, which means the coins have a dollar value. For example a collectable coin made of 99.997% silver will be worth whatever the value of silver is at the moment.
                            My husband agreed to buy a coin collection from a relative many years ago even though we agreed we couldn't afford them at the time. His parents paid for the coins and waited all these years for us to pay them back, and I didn't even know we owed them money until last year. Long story short, we paid them about $22,000 for the coins about 6 months ago and now he wants to give his brother $20,000. I don't know where he thinks money comes from.

Both of us collected coins from a young age so we know the value of silver content. We sold almost all of our coins when he worked for the start-up and now he wants to rebuild his collection.

Comment

Whoa! Some big timers here! Congrats!

Market pretty happy with Q1 as Dow at 26,535. SPY at 293.37.

Retirement Savings : $156K
                              Kill the debt, before it kills you!

Comment

Question:

What is the formula that would make sense of SS PIA to add to the retirement account? I want to have a combined present value of both my 401K and SS amounts.

For example, my PIA at 62 is $1,700 and total contributions so far at $115K.

Adding 115K seems to make sense initially but then it does not factor growth (or does it?). OR instead, do we calculate based on the PIA to come up with an annualized Present Value that we can add to the 156K 401K retirement balance?

Kill the debt, before it kills you!

Comment

Working...
                                X