Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you made 2021 travel plans? Do you think they'll happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still thinking of singapore/thailand.
    LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

With the current state of covid activity heating up again this winter, I'm reluctant to make any big plans for the first half of the year. We are targeting some local RV trips still, and maybe some broader ones, but that's going to be influenced by any coming shutdowns. Not planning anything where I can't get a refund, that's for sure.

My focus is turning to what projects and things can I accomplish locally. If now isn't the time to plan vacations then there are still plenty of things to take my mind off work and focus my energy.

Comment

Well, we're no longer planning to go up to Alaska around the new year... Why? COVID testing. Alaska requires that all arrivals from out of state show documentation of a negative COVID test, recent within 72hrs, or else face quarantine. I just checked, and our insurance is not covering "elective" (not medically indicated, including personal travel) COVID testing, which means it's out of pocket... Apparently to the tune of $100-$500/person. NOPE! So we'll plan to go up there later, and try to do something more local instead... Sad though, we were really looking forward to going back up there...
        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
          Well, we're no longer planning to go up to Alaska around the new year... Why? COVID testing. Alaska requires that all arrivals from out of state show documentation of a negative COVID test, recent within 72hrs, or else face quarantine.
          I think we'll see more and more of that.

That said, it really makes no sense medically speaking. A negative test means one thing and one thing only: you were negative at the moment the test was done. You could be positive the next day, or the day after that. That's part of why this pandemic is so out of control. People think a negative test means they are good to go about their normal life, so they do, only to develop symptoms a few days later, after they've already exposed a bunch of others.

People need to STAY HOME unless they absolutely have to go out.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

We have a tentative trip to Myrtle Beach with a group of 40 in July 2021, but I'm not booking anything until we see how things look around May. If I can't get anything, then we won't go.

Truth be told I'd rather go in June. The weather here sucks in June and July is finally nice summer weather, so ya, if we can't go, I'm fine with that

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

I think we'll see more and more of that.

That said, it really makes no sense medically speaking. A negative test means one thing and one thing only: you were negative at the moment the test was done. You could be positive the next day, or the day after that. That's part of why this pandemic is so out of control. People think a negative test means they are good to go about their normal life, so they do, only to develop symptoms a few days later, after they've already exposed a bunch of others.

People need to STAY HOME unless they absolutely have to go out.
              Generally agreed -- the testing retirement seems somewhat silly, because it effectively requires you to get tested before you fly & expose yourself to the petri dish of airports & airlines. Honestly, I'm almost perfectly comfortable with traveling EXCEPT with the flying. We can & do easily maintain our distance from other people, and our plans were built around that. But the flying piece? Ugh...... With the recycled air, close quarters, and hours sitting in place, it's almost unavoidable to pick up a bug from any infected people.
              "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
                Generally agreed -- the testing retirement seems somewhat silly, because it effectively requires you to get tested before you fly & expose yourself to the petri dish of airports & airlines. Honestly, I'm almost perfectly comfortable with traveling EXCEPT with the flying. We can & do easily maintain our distance from other people, and our plans were built around that. But the flying piece? Ugh...... With the recycled air, close quarters, and hours sitting in place, it's almost unavoidable to pick up a bug from any infected people.
                They say the planes are fine. It's the airports and sitting on a plane not running that is the problem. I'll tell you how it all works out after we fly to hawaii in a couple of weeks.
                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post

They say the planes are fine. It's the airports and sitting on a plane not running that is the problem.
                  Yep. Studies are showing that flying is actually quite safe due to mask-wearing and good air circulation and filtration. You're more likely to catch Covid in the terminal.
                  Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Booked my solo Bryce/Zion hiking trip for the first week of March, flying to Vegas and driving rest of the way. The 2nd week is spring break for me, so I decided to go earlier to hopefully less crowds. But then I'm flying to Los Angeles to Vegas for that week to spend time with friends. A buddy just texted me CA is lifting stay-at-home order, and restaurants are opening up. So that's a good start.
                    "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Comment

Originally posted by cypher1 View Post
                      restaurants are opening up. So that's a good start.
                      I do miss restaurants. I’m looking forward to spring when outdoor dining returns. Not that it’s as good as indoor but it’s a lot better than takeout only.
                      Steve

Comment

We are going to Florida in two weeks for 16 days. We rented a house on a lake with its own heated pool for 10 days, then staying with my dad (who will be fully vaccinated by then, hopefully, he's scheduled to get 2nd shot next week) and spending two nights in Disney.

I have an 8th grader doing 100% virtual school and since Thanksgiving no one in my house has been unmasked around anyone besides my mother. She loves Florida and Disney World is her favorite place on earth. She is so thrilled to go and talks about it every day.

I got some N95 masks for the flight, and we will be able to live somewhat normally with all the outdoor options in Florida. My husband can golf and fish. My daughter can swim every day. For Disney, we splurged on a studio apartment Villia at the Polynesian (500/night). The ground rules are: no eating indoors at restaurants, if we are waiting indoors for a ride at Disney we wear N95s.

Congrats Kork!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snydley View Post
                          We are going to Florida in two weeks for 16 days. We rented a house on a lake with its own heated pool for 10 days, then staying with my dad (who will be fully vaccinated by then, hopefully, he's scheduled to get 2nd shot next week) and spending two nights in Disney.

I have an 8th grader doing 100% virtual school and since Thanksgiving no one in my house has been unmasked around anyone besides my mother. She loves Florida and Disney World is her favorite place on earth. She is so thrilled to go and talks about it every day.

I got some N95 masks for the flight, and we will be able to live somewhat normally with all the outdoor options in Florida. My husband can golf and fish. My daughter can swim every day. For Disney, we splurged on a studio apartment Villia at the Polynesian (500/night). The ground rules are: no eating indoors at restaurants, if we are waiting indoors for a ride at Disney we wear N95s.

Congrats Kork!!
                          It sounds like heaven to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Snydley View Post
                            The ground rules are: no eating indoors at restaurants
                            This is one area that has been problematic at Disney World. They do not have an abundance of restaurants with outdoor dining. That makes sense, since between the heat and the rain, it's not a place you really want to be eating outside most of the year. There are some counter service places with outdoor seating but hardly any table service ones.
                            Steve

Comment

As of now, No international Travel Plans.

But we do have FEB - trip to Scottsdale, AZ - Hanging with Immediate family (in laws ). This includes a flight.... which complicates it a bit.. but we did buy the Travel Insurance (as I read it, it is accommodating for COVID related problems). *But I don't trust airlines... They're greedier than Health Insurance companies...

April - Family wedding in Savannah (driving). Smaller wedding size, and I believe it is outside.

Those are the only (2) on the books....

**June - will be my wife and I's 5 year anniversary. If USA and their 2,000,000 different medical systems, can figure out how to distribute vaccine by May/June. I would love to plan a trip back to Hawaii (went to Maui for our Honeymoon). But **too early to plan right now, too much can change in the next 2 months. We're tabling it until we get closer.

Will be excited to get back to International Travel. But I imagine it will take time. Especially because I wanted to go to some EU countries I have not yet been to. As far as I was last informed, they have several countries on lock down. So we may have to hold off until they lower the drawbridge to foreigner tourists. (TBH I'm interesting in prospecting countries to consider moving to part time - But don't tell my wife that yet!)

Comment

Originally posted by amarowsky View Post
                                If USA and their 2,000,000 different medical systems, can figure out how to distribute vaccine by May/June
                                I think the distribution is getting better quickly now but it's still a monumental task. Even if Pres. Biden is successful in getting 100 million doses delivered in 100 days, that means by the end of April, we'd still only have less than 1/3 of the country vaccinated. We need 75-80% for herd immunity. And that can't really happen until there is an approved pediatric vaccine since 25% of the population is kids.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X