Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you made 2021 travel plans? Do you think they'll happen?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Have you made 2021 travel plans? Do you think they'll happen?

    We rarely plan our travels far in advance. 2021 happens to be an exception and we already have 2 trips booked. We are scheduled to go to Florida in late March to attend a big event being held by Give Kids The World Village. Tickets are already bought and paid for and are non-refundable but we're really uncertain whether or not that trip will be feasible. I realize a lot can change in 5 months but the way things are looking right now, it doesn't look promising.

    Then we are also booked to go to Disney World in October for the 50th anniversary celebration. Some of that has also been paid for. I'm a bit more optimistic about that trip since it's nearly a year away but it's still not 100% certain.

    What's on your travel docket for 2021? Have you made plans and are just hoping for the best? Or have you refrained from making plans to wait and see what conditions are closer to the time you want to travel?
    Steve

    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

    #2
    I had to cancel a trip to Italy, a cruise and a trip to the Caribbean in 2020. I will not make reservations again until the world opens back up.

    Comment


      #3
      We're planning a vacation to Fairbanks in January, right around the new year. Willingly vacationing in -40F temperatures probably sounds crazy to many, I'm sure.... But when we were living up there (in Anchorage), we never really got to explore Fairbanks, and never got a good look at the aurora. So we want to go up in the ever-dark winter, see the aurora (best time to see them), visit the hot springs, and visit the Christmas village in North Pole (which has some awesome ice sculptures, plus a bunch of reindeer that the boys love seeing up close). It's also gonna be our last chance for a vacation before our daughter is born in March (that's a thing BTW... Don't think I've mentioned that here yet), and before I deploy again in April.

      This trip is almost certainly going to happen. With the low population density up there (and consistently low infection rates), there shouldn't be any significant reasons to avoid travelling up there.

      Beyond that, I've got a 6-month "business trip" planned for April, super stoked about that one... We haven't made any plans for after that yet.
      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by kork13 View Post
        It's also gonna be our last chance for a vacation before our daughter is born in March (that's a thing BTW... Don't think I've mentioned that here yet)
        Congratulations! That's fantastic news.

        Seeing the Aurora is on my bucket list. Friends of ours recently went to Cherry Springs State Park in PA. That is one of the two international dark sky sites in the US. You can see a ton of stars, the Milky Way, and in season, the Aurora (though they couldn't see it when they were there). But ultimately, I'd like to see it somewhere better like Alaska, Norway, Iceland, etc.
        Steve

        * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by kork13 View Post
          It's also gonna be our last chance for a vacation before our daughter is born in March (that's a thing BTW... Don't think I've mentioned that here yet), and before I deploy again in April.
          Congratulations Kork! That is wonderful news.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
            What's on your travel docket for 2021? Have you made plans and are just hoping for the best? Or have you refrained from making plans to wait and see what conditions are closer to the time you want to travel?
            We have cancelled all our travel until June 2021...But, I think the June trip is going to have to be rescheduled.

            Some of my friends and I are planning a trip to Disney World in Nov 2021. I guess we'll have to see how the vaccine plays out and if the infection rates come down.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

              We have cancelled all our travel until June 2021...But, I think the June trip is going to have to be rescheduled.

              Some of my friends and I are planning a trip to Disney World in Nov 2021. I guess we'll have to see how the vaccine plays out and if the infection rates come down.
              We were not planning to travel in March, but then Give Kids The World announced a really can't-miss sort of event so we bought tickets. I'm hoping that either the world will have settled down enough to hold it safely or things will still be bad enough that they'll have to cancel it on their end. Honestly, I wouldn't be terribly upset if that happened. I will be upset if they go ahead with it and we decide not to go because it still isn't safe to travel.

              We're going in October. I don't care if we only go for the 3 nights we currently have booked but I want to be in the Magic Kingdom on October 1.
              Steve

              * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

              Comment


                #8
                No solid plans yet. Back in the Northwest and will be looking to take some RV trips up and down the coast during the winter months, State Parks mostly. Tentative on making any bigger travel plans or with other people.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Haven't booked anything yet but considering a remote wilderness fishing trip to AK in July with my son, son in law and nephew.
                  Wife and I go to typically go to Canada in August with another couple to a fly in lodge.

                  Will probably look into travel insurance just in case.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
                    Will probably look into travel insurance just in case.
                    I wonder if travel insurance would cover the cost of the event tickets we bought or if it just covers the actual travel costs like airfare and hotel.
                    Steve

                    * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

                      We were not planning to travel in March, but then Give Kids The World announced a really can't-miss sort of event so we bought tickets. I'm hoping that either the world will have settled down enough to hold it safely or things will still be bad enough that they'll have to cancel it on their end. Honestly, I wouldn't be terribly upset if that happened. I will be upset if they go ahead with it and we decide not to go because it still isn't safe to travel.

                      We're going in October. I don't care if we only go for the 3 nights we currently have booked but I want to be in the Magic Kingdom on October 1.
                      That sounds like a lot of fun. I have been going back and forth about the anniversary festivities on October 1st. Were you able to get a park reservation for MK for Oct 1st or are they all already sold out?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

                        That sounds like a lot of fun. I have been going back and forth about the anniversary festivities on October 1st. Were you able to get a park reservation for MK for Oct 1st or are they all already sold out?
                        I was able to reserve it. I did it the morning they opened up the reservations. I'm guessing it's probably sold out now. I had made our hotel reservation months ago before they stopped accepting new reservations. We're staying at the Contemporary garden wing. It is stupid expensive ($700/night) but I wanted to be able to walk to MK and not have to deal with any transportation that day.
                        Steve

                        * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          We don't travel much. Not really our thing.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            We had to cancel our second Europe trip this year. What a hassle. We were able to cancel all our hotel but one airline from Greece called Aegean only gave us credit for now. No refund yet.

                            We started travelling internationally and we want to visit few countries in the next couple years but COVID definitely changed our plans. Last year and a half, we had our first Europe and visited UK and France, and also we visited Japan which is our favorite tourist destination so far.

                            We want to visit Japan again and some countries in Europe but I don't think we will go back to normal soon. I know Olympics will be in Japan in 2021 and I heard they plan to open up their country in April 2021. My wife really wanted to go again but we'll see what happens.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I won a 3 night stay at a 5 star adults only all inclusive in the Dominican Republic with VIP customs service, transportation and some not usually included free excursions. It expires Sept. 2021. All inclusive wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm not going to miss out on a free trip. Waiting on my passport renewal and who knows how long that might take. Will start looking at travel timing after that. And yes I definitely plan to buy travel insurance as when I had to cancel a united flight (in April!!) they refused to refund and only offered a credit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X