Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you made 2021 travel plans? Do you think they'll happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
    Heading to Alaska in a few weeks.
    Looking forward to it.

Wish the Canadian border would open back up so we could go fishing.
    I have a Canadian friend who literally lives within site of the US. The border closure has been such a pain for him. He has a US post office box since shipping to the US is so much cheaper than shipping to Canada and he hasn't been able to use it for a year and a half. We have a box for him and have to send it direct to Canada for twice the price.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I wish the canadian border would open as well.
      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Our plan of doing local and regional RV adventures is sticking. We've enjoyed a number of great ones so far. But haven't made any long-term, long-distance travel plans yet...work has become very busy and it's back to saving PTO for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
          Heading to Alaska in a few weeks.
          Looking forward to it.

Wish the Canadian border would open back up so we could go fishing.
          Canada hasnt gotten the memo that its ok to reopen and live a normal life again. That country is doomed. But then again, they do not have the same freedoms that america does.

We're headed to beach in Delaware in July. My guess is after summer, everything will be locked down again. News is already pumping the new strain found in indiana or something. They're greasing the population up so its easier to manipulate them when the time comes. Get your traveling in now. No one is going anywhere after summer.

Comment

I'm slowly forming plans for a massive series of trips for my family. I currently have 95 days of leave, having not had an opportunity to take a long vacation since 2019 due to two deployments, a PCS move, and COVID restrictions. By the time I get home from my current deployment in October, it'll be 106 days, as long as they let me maintain my fiscal year overage abve the 60 days I'm normally allowed to carry over (common practice after deployment). It's seriously absurd how much time off I have stored up.

So my goal is to take no less than 30 days of leave (preferably closer to 45) before the end of December -- going out to family in upstate New York (late October, ~10 days, by train if my boys & I can talk DW into it), more family at the Oregon coast (Thanksgiving, ~7 days), and hunting aurora in/around Fairbanks, Alaska (after Christmas/into the new year, ~14 days). Plus, I'm planning to take multiple weeks off in Oct/Nov/Dec to work on finishing my masters' thesis. They probably won't let me take 2 consecutive months off....but I might try to see how far I can push it. I foresee 2-3 weeks of leave, then a week or two at work, then back on leave, etc., at least through the new year. One son would miss some time from school, but it's first grade -- I think he'll survive.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post

Canada hasnt gotten the memo that its ok to reopen and live a normal life again. That country is doomed. But then again, they do not have the same freedoms that america does.

We're headed to beach in Delaware in July. My guess is after summer, everything will be locked down again. News is already pumping the new strain found in indiana or something. They're greasing the population up so its easier to manipulate them when the time comes. Get your traveling in now. No one is going anywhere after summer.
              Um...so maybe its because fewer people have received the vaccine up there? That might be why they haven't reopened as quickly as the US.
              james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

The Mexican border from San Diego has been allowing non-essential travel since about Sep 2020 that I am aware although officially it is still closed. I have been crossing since Sep 2020 and I am not essential. Although those corrupt officials on the Mexican side sometimes pull me aside into the office and claim that I have to pay $30 to enter. So far I've paid about $90.

Comment

One thing I have to say is Ready or Not, here we come!

We've taken a couple of car trips--(DH is testing out retirement. )

Our last trip included stays at Marriott properties (4 properties in 5 nights). DH has status which gives us free breakfast at most Marriott brands. But....one property did not have breakfast because of "staffing issues" (they did have coffee, though). Another property did not have coffee first thing in the morning because staff was running late. (They told him to come back in 15 mins. When he came back a little while later, they said come back in an hour.... I think it was 9am before we could get coffee) A third property told him no coffee because the coffee maker was broken! I usually bring my own breakfast items, so no breakfast is no big deal (to me, anyway), but no coffee in the morning puts me in a real bad mood! I think we might need to invest in a coffee maker to take on our road trips. LOL Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have to add that one of the 4 properties was one that we visit quite often. They gave us an upgrade to a suite and treated us real nice. They had great coffee AND breakfast in the morning.

Comment

Driving all over Texas is in part of my job description, so does that count?

In all realness, I'm scheduled to go to Tampa in July for a conference, and plans have solidified to hit New Mexico in Sept/Oct for state number #14 on our list of 50.

Comment

I ordered a small coffee maker (shhh! it's a surprise-I'm going to give it to DH for Father's Day. ) Now, we should have coffee on our road trips.

Last night in a wave of optimism I purchased a bunch of airline tickets to go with the Disney reservations I have made so far.

Comment

My son took a 3 week vacation on 3 June; flew to Florida, then LA (not L.A.!), and drove to Gatlinburg, returning today. He flies back to NJ on the 23rd.

(Being in the military, he's been fully vaccinated for a while.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nutria View Post
                          My son took a 3 week vacation on 3 June; flew to Florida, then LA (not L.A.!), and drove to Gatlinburg, returning today. He flies back to NJ on the 23rd.

(Being in the military, he's been fully vaccinated for a while.)
                          Was your son able to find a reasonable rate for car rental? I have been modeling some trips--and the rentals have either been nothing available or the price was over $100/day.

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

Was your son able to find a reasonable rate for car rental? I have been modeling some trips--and the rentals have either been nothing available or the price was over $100/day.
                            Rental cars have been a rare expensive commodity. That’s why I’m not selling my cousin’s car yet. If we fly down to deal with the house I want to have the car available rather than having to rent.
                            Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Rental cars have been a rare expensive commodity. That’s why I’m not selling my cousin’s car yet. If we fly down to deal with the house I want to have the car available rather than having to rent.
                              That sounds prudent. (And in my case, thank goodness for Disney's Magical Express. ) For the non-Disney trips DH is not anxious to fly anyway so this just makes the decision easier for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Like2Plan View Post

He and some friends drove in one of their trucks. (Went primitive camping.)

Comment

Working...
                                X