Announcement

Collapse

Markets Closed Memorial Day Monday

U.S. stocks markets are closed Monday in observance of Memorial Day. Foreign financial markets will be open. The New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq will resume normal trading hours on Tuesday.
See more
See less

House Mortgage -- Countdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tqf258 View Post
    Have been waiting to post....finally broke the $100,000 barrier.
    $99,100 balance as of today!
    You're the man (or woman) !
    Last edited by Randomsaver; 06-02-2015, 06:35 PM.
    Kill the debt, before it kills you!

Comment

Originally posted by Randomsaver View Post
      Mortgage Principal : $188K

I'm no longer angry, I'm
      Mortgage Principal : $180K

Comment

Same to you snafu!

Not sure how to compute but my past 2 months' statements showed a $4 drop in interest charges (from $454 to $450).
        Above post was from 1/1/2015.

My monthly interest expense went down from $450 on 1/1/2015 to $420 for 6/1/2015. That is $30 payment swing to the side of principal reduction so far.

Comment

@Randomsaver, did I read this correctly, June 2014 Mortgage $ 203K, June 2015 Mortgage $180K?
          Good on you for making a plan and sticking to it! Terrific progress

Comment

Great job by a bunch of folks here ! More should focus on paying off their homes.
            We've been mortgage free for approx. 10 years now. It's a great feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by snafu View Post
              @Randomsaver, did I read this correctly, June 2014 Mortgage $ 203K, June 2015 Mortgage $180K?
              Good on you for making a plan and sticking to it! Terrific progress
              Originally posted by Fishindude77 View Post
              Great job by a bunch of folks here ! More should focus on paying off their homes.
              We've been mortgage free for approx. 10 years now. It's a great feeling.
              Thank you both snafu and Fishindude77. It uplifts the spirit to read words of encouragement. I don't know how others are able to do it. Really. This is one tough test of mental, emotional and even physical boundaries.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                $49,079.30 as of today.
                I just scheduled the July 1 payment. That will bring the balance to about $46,701 more or less.
                Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                  I just scheduled the July 1 payment. That will bring the balance to about $46,701 more or less.
                  Cheers!

Comment

Mortgage Principle: $98,588.27 April...

Mortgage Principle today: $98,151.88

So ready to get this thing under 90k. Been a long 6 months. Hopefully the next 6 months will be better.
                    ~ Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle View Post

So ready to get this thing under 90k. Been a long 6 months. Hopefully the next 6 months will be better.
                      It will. Each future payment will chip away at the principal a little more than the previous one. We hung at a certain figure for what seemed a very long time, but now we're bringing the balance down pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle View Post

Originally posted by JoeP View Post
                        It will. Each future payment will chip away at the principal a little more than the previous one. We hung at a certain figure for what seemed a very long time, but now we're bringing the balance down pretty quick.
                        Eagle, buddy miss you here. Congrats on bringing down debt!

I agree JoeP. Hope all is working well for you.

But before we look to the second half of the year, it's a pat-on-your back mini-celebration time as the first half of the year of payment draws to a close.

I'm gonna grab me a nice fancy cold beer. Cheers!

Comment

Happy Memorial Day Weekend to y'all!

Focused Debt : $31K
                          Focused Debt : $29K

Advance happy Fathers' Day!
                          Last edited by Randomsaver; 06-19-2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I (single father) have little by little started college savings for my 2 kids. Total saved currently is $28K.

I plan to divert the $14K for my youngest and use it to bring down my principal mortgage balance since I believe I still have time to rally for that later on in life.

I'll keep the other $14K for my eldest who is approaching 10 and continue adding to it. I should be done with the house mortgage a few good years before my youngest starts college.
                            Last edited by Randomsaver; 06-21-2015, 10:51 AM.

Comment

General question that I am faced with in my efforts to payoff my mortgage quickly and I'm curious what others are doing.

Are people still maintaining their homes and replacing aging items ( doors, windows, HVAC, appliances, etc)?

I do one or two projects each year. However, if I really accelerate the payoff of the mortgage I feel like I will reach the point where the house is paid off but then I'll need a loan for other projects. Feels like a balancing act with allocating savings.

So will I ever see cheap money as my current mortgage? (68000 left @2.875% with max 7 years to go, $900/month)

Sorry if I hijacked this thread.

Comment

^ This thread is for all who has mortgage debt.

For me, I'm putting my maintenance project every after 5 years. The last time I did mine was 2013.

This way I can focus on increased mortgage payment for 4 straight years.

Comment

Working...
                                X