Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is on Monday, January 17, 2022, in the United States. As one of the major federal holidays, government offices are typically closed in observance of the holiday. Additionally, many other businesses may choose to give employees a day off. However, not everything shuts down for all of the federal holidays. As a result, it can be a little tricky to figure out if your favorite store will be open if you were hoping to get some shopping done. If you’re wondering, “Is Target closed on MLK Day 2022?” here’s what you need to know.
Is Target Closed on MLK Day 2022?
No, Target is not closed on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in 2022. Additionally, Target stores won’t be using a modified holiday schedule. Instead, Target will open and close at its usual time.
Does Target Have an MLK Day Sale?
Target doesn’t have a sale specifically geared toward Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. However, that doesn’t mean there aren’t deals available. Target always has some product discounts, giving savvy shoppers opportunities to save.
If you want to see what’s discounted at your local Target, check the weekly ad that publishes on January 16, 2022. That will show you what’s on sale on MLK Day at the stores, as well as local pricing.
You can also explore deals at the Target website. Along with deals that align with the weekly ad, you may find deeper discounts on clearance merchandise, exclusive offers for RedCard customers, and more.
Target Holiday Schedule 2022
As with many other major retailers, Target stores don’t close often, even for holidays. However, that doesn’t mean the retailer never shuts down to observe a holiday; it just isn’t the norm.
Target’s corporate office outlined several holidays that the retailer observes with closures. Since the stores all use the same holiday schedule, it’s typically safe to assume that all locations aren’t open on those chosen holidays.
Here is an overview of the holidays where Target stores close or shut down early:
- Easter – Sunday, April 17, 2022 – Target stores are closed
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 24, 2022 – Target stores are closed
- Christmas Eve – Saturday, December 24, 2022 – Target stores are open but close early
- Christmas Day – Sunday, December 25, 2022 – Target stores are closed
- New Year’s Eve – Saturday, December 31, 2022 – Target stores are open but close early
While Target stores used to open on Thanksgiving Day, that hasn’t been the case since the pandemic. Whether Target decides to open on Thanksgiving in 2022 isn’t clear, so it’s best to assume the stores will close until an official notification from corporate is released that says otherwise.
Beyond The Holidays
Beyond the holidays above, Target stores are usually open. The only exceptions tend to be events not relating to the holiday that make a closure a necessity. For instance, an unexpected technical issue, new COVID-19 restrictions, or similar circumstances may trigger an unplanned closure.
Here is a list of the holidays where Target stores are open:
- New Year’s Day – Saturday, January 1, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, January 17, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Valentine’s Day – Monday, February 14, 2022 – Target stores are open
- President’s Day – Monday, February 21, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Patrick’s Day – Thursday, March 17, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Good Friday – Friday, April 15, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Mother’s Day – Sunday, May 8, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Cinco de Mayo – Thursday, May 5, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 30, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Father’s Day – Sunday, June 19, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Juneteenth – Sunday, June 19, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Independence Day – Monday, July 4, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Labor Day – Monday, September 5, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Columbus Day – Monday, October 10, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Halloween – Monday, October 31, 2022 – Target stores are open
- Veterans Day – Friday, November 11, 2022 – Target stores are open
2022 Target Store House
While Target doesn’t have a single operating schedule that all stores have to follow, most open and close at similar times. Here is a look at a typical store operating schedule at Target:
- Monday through Friday: 8:00 am to 9:00 pm or 10:00 pm
- Saturday: 8:00 am to 10:00 pm or 11:00 pm
- Sunday: 8:00 am to 9:00 pm or 10:00 pm
While the hours above are the norm, there can be some exceptions. High-traffic locations in large cities may have longer hours. Additionally, there are some 24-hour locations, though this is rarer than it once was because of the pandemic.
If you have questions about your local store’s hours, it’s best to either call the store or to use the store locator on the Target website to find that information. That way, you’ll know when your preferred location is welcoming shoppers, allowing you to plan for your trip more effectively.
How do you typically spend MLK Day in your household? Is spending time with family a priority, do you tackle errands, or is heading to work usually on your agenda? Do you think you’ll head to Target this MLK Day? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Come back to what you love! Dollardig.com is the most reliable cash back site on the web. Just sign up, click, shop and get full cash back!