Since stores aren’t required to follow the federal holiday calendar, knowing which retailers are open and closed on holidays isn’t always easy. If you’re wondering about the holiday schedule for 2022, here’s what you can expect.
Holiday Schedule for Walmart 2022
Most major retailers don’t close for many holidays, and Walmart is no exception. In fact, the retailer is open more often than many of its competitors, giving customers the ability to shop at almost any time.
However, that doesn’t mean Walmart never closes. As a result, it’s essential to know which holidays the retailer observes with closures, ensuring you can plan accordingly.
Here is a list of all of the holidays where Walmart is open using its normal operating schedule:
- New Year’s Day – Saturday, January 1, 2022
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – Monday, January 17, 2022
- Valentine’s Day – Monday, February 14, 2022
- President’s Day – Monday, February 21, 2022
- Patrick’s Day – Thursday, March 17, 2022
- Good Friday – Friday, April 15, 2022
- Easter – Sunday, April 17, 2022
- Mother’s Day – Sunday, May 8, 2022
- Cinco de Mayo – Thursday, May 5, 2022
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 30, 2022
- Father’s Day – Sunday, June 19, 2022
- Juneteenth – Sunday, June 19, 2022
- Independence Day – Monday, July 4, 2022
- Labor Day – Monday, September 5, 2022
- Columbus Day – Monday, October 10, 2022
- Halloween – Monday, October 31, 20211
- Veterans Day – Friday, November 11, 2022
- New Year’s Eve – Saturday, December 31, 2022
Here is an overview of Walmart holiday closures, including shutting down early in preparation for a holiday:
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 24, 2022 – Walmart is closed
- Christmas Eve – Saturday, December 24, 2022 – Walmart is open, but some stores close early
- Christmas Day – Sunday, December 25, 2022 – Walmart is closed
It’s critical to note that Walmart only completely closed on Christmas prior to the pandemic. However, it used a different approach in 2020 and 2021. Technically, Walmart may decide to start opening on Thanksgiving Day once the pandemic eases; it just isn’t clear whether that will occur in 2022.
Also, there can be other situations where a Walmart has to close. Along with pandemic-related issues, a Walmart might have to shut down unexpectedly due to technical problems or a lack of utility services. However, those incidents are rare.
Walmart Store Hours 2022
Walmart doesn’t have a single operating schedule for all of its stores. However, due to the pandemic, many are starting 2022 with a 6:00 am to 11:00 pm Monday through Sunday operating schedule or something similar.
Whether store hours will change may depend largely on the pandemic. If the situation calms, more locations may return to a 24-hour schedule. However, if the pandemic becomes a bigger concern, hours may get scaled back.
Ultimately, it’s best to check the hours at your preferred location, particularly if you enjoy shopping early in the morning or later at night. Then, you can confirm that you’re able to shop before you head out of the door.
The simplest way is to either call your local Walmart and listen to the store information recording or use the online store finder. Both of those options will have up-to-date details in most cases.
Also, it’s important to remember that you can shop at Walmart.com at any time. While delivery and pickup are tied to operating hours, the ability to place an order isn’t, allowing you to arrange for items you need whenever you like, including holidays.
Do you think that the holiday schedule for Walmart 2022 seems reasonable? Would you prefer that the retailer be open or closed more often? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- All You Need to Know About the Walmart Price Match Guarantee
- How Much Does an Eye Exam Cost at Walmart?
- What Are the Restocking Schedules of Costco, Walmart, and Sam’s Club?
Come back to what you love! Dollardig.com is the most reliable cash back site on the web. Just sign up, click, shop, and get full cash back!
Tamila McDonald has worked as a Financial Advisor for the military for past 13 years. She has taught Personal Financial classes on every subject from credit, to life insurance, as well as all other aspects of financial management. Mrs. McDonald is an AFCPE Accredited Financial Counselor and has helped her clients to meet their short-term and long-term financial goals.