Sunday deliveries have become increasingly common in the US. Amazon’s partnership with certain package services, including the United States Postal Service (USPS), in specific areas, opened the door for Sunday deliveries in cities where that wasn’t previously an option. As a result, many people have become a little spoiled by the service, and increasingly wonder if the post office is open on Easter, or any Sunday.
Is the Post Office Open on Easter?
No, the post office is not open on Easter. Generally, post offices close on all Sundays. Even if your location typically offers Sunday deliveries, there usually is not any help available at the customer service counter, and Easter will be no different. However, there also won’t be any Sunday deliveries, even if they are common in your area.
If your post office has certain self-service features in unsecured portions of the building, those should still be available on Easter. For example, post office boxes that are accessible 24/7 will still be reachable. Similarly, any automated postage machines, stamp vending machines, and similar services that do not require an employee may remain available on Easter.
Post offices will be open on the days surrounding Easter, depending on their typical operating schedule. Here is a look at the span from Good Friday to Easter Monday:
- Good Friday, April 19 – The post office is open on Good Friday according to the locations regular schedule
- Saturday, April 20 – If your post office usually offers Saturday hours, it will be open on the Saturday before Easter
- Easter Sunday, April 21 – The post office is closed
- Easter Monday, April 22 – The post office is open according to its usual opening and closing hours
Are UPS or FedEx Open on Easter?
No, UPS and FedEx close on Easter. UPS is typically not open on Sundays, so Easter will be no different. The only delivery exceptions are the UPS Express Critical service, which is available 365 days a year, including on Easter. Certain UPS Store locations may open on Easter, though only a highly limited number.
FedEx is mainly closed on Easter as well. They do make exceptions for FedEx Custom Critical deliveries and FedEx Trade Networks shipments. Additionally, FedEx Office locations may be open, though on a modified holiday schedule.
Post Office Holiday Schedule
USPS is a federal government agency. As a result, they follow the federal holiday schedule each year. Here is a look at the post office holiday schedule for 2019:
- Tuesday, January 1 – New Year’s Day – the post office is closed
- Monday, January 21 – Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Birthday – the post office is closed
- Monday, February 18 – Washington’s Birthday / President’s Day – the post office is closed
- Monday, May 27 – Memorial Day – the post office is closed
- Thursday, July 4 – Independence Day – the post office is closed
- Monday, September 2 – Labor Day – the post office is closed
- Monday, October 14 – Columbus Day – the post office is closed
- Monday, November 11 – Veterans Day – the post office is closed
- Thursday, November 28 – Thanksgiving Day – the post office is closed
- Wednesday, December 25 – Christmas Day – the post office is closed
While Easter isn’t listed as an official federal government employee holiday, it does always fall on a Sunday. Most government offices close on weekends, except for organizations that oversee public safety and national security. Since the post office isn’t typically open on Sundays, the fact that it isn’t listed as a federal holiday doesn’t have an impact on their schedule.
Post Office Normal Business Hours
Not every post office maintains the same operating schedule. Most locations open between 8:00 am and 8:30 am and close between 5:00 pm or 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday. However, some locations stay open earlier and close much later on weekdays. For example, a few Miami locations open at 7:30 am and don’t close until 9:00 pm.
In most cases, Saturday hours are more limited, and not every location opens at all on Saturdays. If you need to head to the post office on a Saturday, or any time outside of the typical operating hours, it is best to confirm that your location will be open before you head out. You can either contact your local post office directly or go to the USPS website for additional details.
Have you ever needed to go to the Post Office on Easter Sunday? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- Easter Deals and Freebies
- 2019 Costco Holiday Schedule
- Bank of America Holidays 2019
- Target Holiday Schedule 2019 and Store Hours
- 2019 Walmart Holiday Schedule
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you; you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Just click here to get started.