No announcement yet.

What's Your Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But you can only earn so much per year to keep SSDI, right?

Comment

This is true and I get nowhere near that. They do have a Ticket to Work program that you can look up on line. I've never been up to going out for a job like that. I literally do run this business around naps, etc. Having even to drive to a job would be exhausting. Some days I can barely walk. My husband helps me with this as I can't do it all on my own.
      Gailete
      http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

Comment

I love what I do. I would do it for free. If I wouldn't do what I do for free then I wouldn't do it at all.

But thats me.

Comment

Originally posted by clatoden99 View Post
          I love what I do. I would do it for free. If I wouldn't do what I do for free then I wouldn't do it at all.

But thats me.
          I still have no idea what you do, (unless you write rhyming children's books).

Comment

Direct Support Professional. Work two 18 hr shifts per week (mid week). paid to sleep for 6-7 hrs of each shift. Client loves thrift stores so each shift we shop at 3-5. It means my EBAY/AMAZON business has done very well. After she is in bed at 10:30pm , I list the items I bought that day- take photos, answer pm's. Look up prices.

Job perks are- By Fed Law, I am provided a twin bed in a private bedroom w/fridge. Also a private bathroom w/shower ( I shower sometimes when Client does so in her own shower). Temp controlled apartment. Good Medical & Dental Benefits- I pay $150 for medical and dental for myself, no deductibles and co pays are $5-$10. $50 for ER visits. Life insurance, D&D also incl. 1.5 x paid holidays

It comes to about $14.50+ per hr (both jobs worked simultaneously). About once a month, I find something of value to sell on Craigslist (not factored in) making $40-$60

Ok money, could be worse. Sort of a taxing job so probably cannot do it for longer than 2-3 more years but we'll see

I can make $16.50 per hr being a supervisor but paid sleep isn't included so not worth it.

Downside- Someone tried to steal my car while on the job in this low apartment complex.. So I got ONSTAR (car is equipped with it) for $24.95 and ordered a few onstar stickers off of ebay to put in the window. Btw, my client is Developmentally Disabled. Used to reside in a mental institution (they closed down) she's got other disorders too but is good w/me
            Upside is these low income apartments she resides in are clean, Temp controlled. Great pressure in the shower. Fast internet. I sleep better at work than at home

Last edited by Outdoorsygal; 06-20-2016, 12:06 AM.

Comment

What a terrific sounding job. As an RN I tried home health for awhile. My first couple patients I hated dealing with them/their parents. The last one was a little angel, but by then I was already discouraged from home nursing and had realized I no longer had the strength to move adult patients anymore, especially on my own and I didn't want to deal with crackpot parents. So a job like yours when going well sounds great with good benefits and a chance to do other things along the way, such as thrift store shopping.
              Gailete

Comment

Originally posted by Gailete View Post
                What a terrific sounding job. As an RN I tried home health for awhile. My first couple patients I hated dealing with them/their parents. The last one was a little angel, but by then I was already discouraged from home nursing and had realized I no longer had the strength to move adult patients anymore, especially on my own and I didn't want to deal with crackpot parents. So a job like yours when going well sounds great with good benefits and a chance to do other things along the way, such as thrift store shopping.
                Thanks Gailete. Because we like to do the same things, honestly it is perfect. But it is perfect mainly because i have health issues so there are very few things I can do. Mostly what I was born with but sadly, its not visual. So this is the best I can probably do at this stage in the game. So I relate to your story. You seem a very ambitious person dealt a bad card in life. I am going to start praying for you, sounds odd, but you seem to be such a sweet person with a wonderful attitude.

My husband sold a garbage disposal and an aerobed for me today, both brand new. I suspect I will be able to increase my income by at least a hundred dollars but I need to be home (or he does) to sell the larger items I just started buying on CL. Before I would just buy one or two here or there but now I look up many of the larger items whereas before, not.
                Another lady who works here does tech support from 11pm-6am. Hardly anyone needs her so she sleeps about 4-5 hr straight, maybe 1-2 calls come in on the computer. She told me with his job and her tech support job, both jobs come to $16.00 an hour. She gets at least 4 hrs sleep a night, usually 5-6hrs.
                I noticed you have an ecrater store,. Neat ! Hoping it's going well for you. my ebay id is california-256 if you want to look me up. Love Amazon but ebays just a necessary evil to make $$ imho

Last edited by Outdoorsygal; 06-20-2016, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I noticed you have an ecrater store,. Neat ! Hoping it's going well for you. my ebay id is california-256 if you want to look me up. Love Amazon but ebays just a necessary evil to make $$ imho
                  I hear you on the 'necessary' evil of ebay. I left there 8-9 years ago and didn't look back other than one auction item that ended with a BIN of $75. I have bad RA and OA and got really sick a little over 14 years ago. Haven't worked a day since. Went home one day in horrible pain and never went back. So I'm on disability and sell the patterns with some help from hubby on a PT basis as SS is 1/3 of what I was making 14 years ago! I do like to eat and feel so much better when I take my meds, so we need more money that the SS. Hubby is in poor health as well. We muddle by.

Thank you for the kind compliments. I tried to help a newbie on the ecrater forum the other day and he said I was rude, a troll, and stressing him so bad as if I was a B52 bomber coming at him, etc. etc. Funniest of all to me was he said this is his thread and for me to get off of it. Something I had never seen anyone do in all the years I have visited forums was a writer taking ownership of a thread and thinking they could control what was being said on it. All because I told him what he was selling was counterfeit! Now why would someone get mad about that?? LOL! Anyone who even dared tried to explain that I had only been trying to help he then went off on as well. Seems to have some mental health issues.

I honestly do try to help people when I can. I have a lot of years that I look back on with accumulated knowledge and I hope some wisdom. Many 20-somethings usually want no part of it, but that is life. What is it about late teens and early adulthood that they think they are the only ones that know anything and the rest of us are dopes? I know what it is like to be poor and broke and wanting somehow to find a way to make anything extra. I have been blessed with some success with my on line store, so I want to help others get some of that same success as well. I would never purposely try to be rude to people. Oh well.

Have fun at your job which is one way to go about what you are doing. If you can't enjoy what you are doing, then you need to find something else. It is too stressful otherwise working at a place you hate. In 14 years I had a lot of different nursing jobs, but other than switching from mostly books to sewing patterns, I have had this same job for 14 years. I guess it makes a difference whether you are working for yourself and not having to play office politics.

Time to get some orders out!
                  Gailete

Comment

Originally posted by Gailete View Post
                    I hear you on the 'necessary' evil of ebay. I left there 8-9 years ago and didn't look back other than one auction item that ended with a BIN of $75. I have bad RA and OA and got really sick a little over 14 years ago. Haven't worked a day since. Went home one day in horrible pain and never went back. So I'm on disability and sell the patterns with some help from hubby on a PT basis as SS is 1/3 of what I was making 14 years ago! I do like to eat and feel so much better when I take my meds, so we need more money that the SS. Hubby is in poor health as well. We muddle by.

Thank you for the kind compliments. I tried to help a newbie on the ecrater forum the other day and he said I was rude, a troll, and stressing him so bad as if I was a B52 bomber coming at him, etc. etc. Funniest of all to me was he said this is his thread and for me to get off of it. Something I had never seen anyone do in all the years I have visited forums was a writer taking ownership of a thread and thinking they could control what was being said on it. All because I told him what he was selling was counterfeit! Now why would someone get mad about that?? LOL! Anyone who even dared tried to explain that I had only been trying to help he then went off on as well. Seems to have some mental health issues.

I honestly do try to help people when I can. I have a lot of years that I look back on with accumulated knowledge and I hope some wisdom. Many 20-somethings usually want no part of it, but that is life. What is it about late teens and early adulthood that they think they are the only ones that know anything and the rest of us are dopes? I know what it is like to be poor and broke and wanting somehow to find a way to make anything extra. I have been blessed with some success with my on line store, so I want to help others get some of that same success as well. I would never purposely try to be rude to people. Oh well.

Have fun at your job which is one way to go about what you are doing. If you can't enjoy what you are doing, then you need to find something else. It is too stressful otherwise working at a place you hate. In 14 years I had a lot of different nursing jobs, but other than switching from mostly books to sewing patterns, I have had this same job for 14 years. I guess it makes a difference whether you are working for yourself and not having to play office politics.

Time to get some orders out!
                    Thanks that is good advice so true about the stress of working somewhere you hate. The lady I am with is pretty crazy so it is what it is. That's why I am with her, mainly. She means well and has really excelled being with me. Growing up she was in 35 foster homes, raped and had baby taken immediately upon birth, stole a car and drove into a shopping mall injuring a few and maiming one lady. And that isn't nearly all of it ....

I decided to start perusing CL for jobs at your advice. Never hurts, and i have time later at night. With my invisible disabilities, I never got a College degree. With back issues due to an injury, I exercise alot to keep the pain incheck. My, eyes just give out... out of the blue (been that way my whole life). So I don't drive for long periods or do paperwork for long periods of time. My boss and the company is very dysfunctional, they've pulled a few pranks on me but nothing compared to others employees. Never seen so many people quit or get fired in my life. It's the uncertainty that really makes it taxing.

On a brighter note, Iread some of your past posts and couldn't help but think that maybe you guys should try to move to an offgird home and rent out your own house. Seems your housing costs could go down. You seem resourceful and probably already considered this. We will eventually build an un-permited home on acerage hopefullyin a nearby offgrid town.
                    Anyhow... that is our plan. We cycle in this town twice a month and have many friends there so have been looking to move for a while. We are now living near my 90 yr old FIL, I was caring for him. He just got caregivers paid for by my rich BIL so now we can move. The prices of that land and homes are going up so fast... I fear if we don't buy something soon, the prices may be too much for us. People are getting wiser to these offgrid towns, going solar etc...to save money. It will work out though, always does. I am also considering opening up a care home in this town eventually after moving there. Taking only level 4-5 clients. My husband wants to open up a cycling tour company if we are able to move to this off grid town. It is located in a recreation area but my back really dictates whether this plan unfolds. We are back to cycling but I can only do it twice a week. I don't see the money in a tour company and the care home $ is more of a guarantee. So we'll see....we have high credit card bills to pay off but have been chipping at it pretty well. Started going onto a forum called Mr Money Mustache which got me jazzed.

I have a close friend from high school who is sort of in the same boat as you but her health issues are due to an auto accident. Her husband was killed so she's a bit worse off. With her RN background, and she's on disability, she's been wanting to work 1-2 days a week in a care home. Shes on disability. She lives in a nice cabin but there is no water. Internet, power, phone but no water source. She Just needs a place to shower and wants to make a few bucks extra since her disability just doesn't quite cut it. She also has bad days where she isn't able to do much. But if we did proceed, and it worked out, a care home when she could work would be good for both of us.
                    Last edited by Outdoorsygal; 06-21-2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Outdoorsey gal - I sent you a PM
                      Gailete

Comment

I have held several different roles in supply chain and currently work in Sales Operations for a midsize company. I have been very fortunate to be in jobs that have allowed me to travel to customers/manufacturing plants around the world. My wife works for the Feds.

Dividends/Interest from our taxable account continues to grow and now pays for 10% of our expenses.
                        Last edited by AJ444; 06-26-2016, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan_Peter
                          I'm a student
                          Your location would indicate otherwise. And your previous post in this thread. I'm beginning to think you are a spammer.

Comment

Im mainly trading and teaching others to trade!

Im trading Forex, CFDs and binary options a few hours a day!

Comment

I work from home in data analysis.

Comment

Whats Your Job

I dont have a job yet. Ive never sold a fly but have traded for various rod building/flytying/fishing tools and materials.

Comment

Working...
                                X