Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i am a sales manager in local company.

Comment

I'm a web designer and also a freelance coach. I help people start their own online business, even if they have no experience. I also run few blogs that earn me some more passive income.
      Personal Finance Blog | Dojo's PF Musings

Comment

I am unemployed and have never made more money in my life.
        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

-George Carlin

Comment

what's your job?How do you make money to live?

hi, i am working in SEO post as a trainee for yupstrips company.“If you’re really passionate about what you do, but it’s not going to make you a lot of money, should you still do it?”

Comment

Originally posted by sake123 View Post
            How do you make money to live?

I work at my local city government in maintenance.
            I live off my investment income.

Comment

Very interesting thread seeing the different occupations. I work in the public sector as a social worker. Often times I wished I had gone into finances being that I'm good with numbers. Prior to social work I had worked as a plumber. While working in plumbing I could not see myself doing plumbing for the remainder of my life due to the physical demands of the job so I went to night school and got my masters in social work degree.

Comment

DH is a CPA
                I am a teacher/school counselor

Comment

i am seo executive work at gadget bytes for full time work.

Comment

I am an engineer at a private company. boring job but not that boring.

Comment

nurse 23 yrs, last 10 in hospice, loved it

currently unable to work due to sudden illness, that was not the plan!
                      It never is the plan! I was a nurse and ended up on disability from RA that hit fast and furious about 14 years ago.

I get SSD, a very small pension from my ex, I run an on line store selling sewing patterns in between naps and doctors apts. It is my occupational therapy both physically and mentally as it gives me a reason to get out of bed. I also make small amounts via my blogs, try to live frugally so the money doesn't run out before the month. Hubby isn't in the best of health but he is self employed and he also contributes when he can. We muddle along.
                      Gailete
                      http://www.MoonwishesSewingandCrafts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gailete View Post
                        It never is the plan! I was a nurse and ended up on disability from RA that hit fast and furious about 14 years ago.
                        did you sewing pattern business fulfill the loss of purpose after leaving nursing? I left hospice nursing that I adored and miss very, very much. I haven't been well enough yet to come up with a new life's purpose and it's driving me nuts!

Comment

did you sewing pattern business fulfill the loss of purpose after leaving nursing? I left hospice nursing that I adored and miss very, very much. I haven't been well enough yet to come up with a new life's purpose and it's driving me nuts!
                          Actually I fell into it! I have been sewing since arond 8th grade, clothes, started my first quilt, tried knitting and crochet and I did hand embroidery. Loved that stuff. If I had the money I would have gone into college for home ec teaching. I married a real loser and knew my marriage was never going to last, so in my early 30's I went to a 2 year diploma school. The last year that they differentiated between diploma schools and 4 year degrees as they wanted so badly to prove that the 4 year programs were better. My graduating class however ranked #1 in the nation that year for passing the state boards! TeeHee. Anyhow I guess I liked nursing and was very good at it, but it wasn't an all consuming passion I guess. I loved hands on nursing care I worked in rehab. Then I bungled my back big time, and could no longer do patient care, etc. And then my knees were giving out and so almost 14 years after nursing graduation I was finished.

I was so sick when I quit, that I thought I was going to die (3 weeks after getting remarried) and so not wanting to leave my new hubby with mounds of sewing stuff to get rid of, I started listing slowly my sewing books. This was back in the day that you could make decent money selling books. After a few years of being very successful selling books, they were starting to get rather heavy to my arthritic hands and I knew there was a need for out of print sewing patterns. So I started selling them and selling them. At this point almost 13,000 sewing patterns and still have that many at least to sell. Do I have a passion for it yes! I have never stayed at any one job in my entire life for the 14 years I have been so the books and patterns (rare books now). Two weeks ago I felt like I was hitting the wall for the first time since I was doing this. You have to understand I've been running a business while in pain, on a less that full time basis all this time. But my husband is recovering from cornea replacement and suddenly I became the chauffer for him and all his appointments including taking him now to his piano tunings that he can do while half blind. Driving is one of the most exhausting things for me along with my own apt. I just wanted to sleep. I got up at 11AM today and went back down for a nap at a little before 2 until 5PM! I never understood that one of the main symptoms of RA is fatigue, but I am living proof.

Anyhow I have found something I like to do that helps with the finances. Something I can still use my brain at when it is functioning and can still help newbies learning to sell on line to understand what is what, at least those who want to learn. I consider this my occupational therapy and both my GP and RA Docs agree. It gives me a reason to get out of bed daily. And without the keyboarding I do first thing in the morning and scavenger hunts to find the patterns that sold, it limbers me up. I used to be able to get up and take a shower the minute I got out of bed, no more I would scared I would tip right over as I am so stiff and sore. So it just isn't what I do, it is the whole new life I have found myself with and it unfortunately keeps changing. I could get depressed and just sit on the couch and eat chocolate while watching endless TV, but early in my illness I saw the Shawshank Redemption and one line stode out to me and has been my battle cry. "Get busy living or get busy dying". I decided to live. Hope that you will find your way as well. Write me if you need to.
                          Gailete

Comment

His: Public Pension analyst
                            Her: Nurse
                            Got debt?
                            www.mo-moneyman.com

Comment

Gailete that's great that you have sewing to fall back to. I often wonder myself what could I do to fill my time and make some extra money should something catastrophic occur where I could no longer be gainfully employed. I don't have a backup plan.

Comment

I don't have a backup plan.
                                Wasn't like I actually had one, but I had always had to be a working wife and mother wife my heart always wanting to be home with my children. I read ,over the course of 10-20 years, every book I could get my hands on about having a small buiness at home. Lots of the books were by Paul and Sarah Edwards, I think their names were. So when an opportunity opened up, I was ready to take advantage of it! All those books being written long before the days of home computers, and the last one was just dipping their toes into desk top publishing, etc. There are so very many ways to make money in our world. No reason for any healthy, halfways intelligent person to be out of work and even some unhealthy people can do things as well!
                                Gailete

Comment

Working...
                                X