X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
    Ain’t gonna happen.

Not many times that you and I agree.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

-George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Singuy View Post

Did you just debunked the official data from the government of 63% by using some anecdotal evidence?

Where I live there are 7 supercharging locations now, doubled since 2018. They are building more and more but it absolutely does not make any sense to have even 1/10th of the numbers vs gas stations when 1 out of 10 cars are not a Tesla. Ratio wise, there's more than enough charging stations. But if you want one from walking distance from where YOU live, then that's not gonna happen for awhile.

Watch charging stations double and then double again by 2025, then x4-6x by 2030. By the time they pry your ICE car out of your cold dead hands, you wouldn't be inconvenienced.
      You misunderstood. Yes there is 63% of housing units have garages and carports. But then 100% of people I know have a garage. Can they charge easily in an apartment complex with a garage or carport? NOPE. I know tons of people living in apartments and I know one who has a tesla or EV. Mostly because it's really difficult to charge. Granted many don't have cars. But the cars they have are gas because it's hard to charge sharing. It's hard to depend on going somewhere to charge for an item that you don't use as much. And those who live in suburbs complexes? They don't have tesla or EV. Conveinvence. But one can argue easily there is DEFINITELY 63% of housing units have garages or carports. Too bad that's an over arching statement.

Realize home ownership is only like 65.8% of people. There are a lot of people renting both homes and apartments. There are a lot of people who own condos or row houses or multi family living. NOT everyone lives in the sun. Not EVERYONE lives where there is no snow. Not everyone lives in single family homes. Not everyone lives in the city. There are a lot of caveats to it all. Where you live is sunny and cheaper = SFH with solar. Where I live dark/depressing/cold and expensive = condos/homes without solar. Not exactly the picture of wanting an EV. Sure I know a ton of people buying tesla but I realize it's a very niche fraction of society based on income and social status.

Also i doubt the us will fork over the money to put a charging station when on my block there are no street lights. One at the end of our street to the main road. But inside? NADA. Granted it's an older subdivision without sidewalks either. My house is 1966 and I like it and the neighborhood. But it also explains why fiber is taking so long to come in. No street lights? No charging stations. No fiber.
      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Consider the effects on interstate commerce.

If California bans the sale of gas powered automobiles, what happens to gas stations there? Once the gas stations are gone because they don't have the local population to support them, what are people who drive in from out of state going to do?

If you do have an electric car, you're going to need a charging station in your home. OK so I spend $1000 and install something in my garage, great. How about folks who park outside or in parking decks? It's going to be interesting for copper theft.

While I have a two car garage and just one vehicle, how about families with multiple cars? There is one house in my neighborhood with 8 cars (no clue how many actually run).

I've never ran out of gas, but if I did I could walk 5 miles to the nearest station with a jug. You run out of power, good luck carrying those electrons in a bucket.

I wonder what it will do to the power grid.

Comment

Originally posted by myrdale View Post
          I've never ran out of gas, but if I did I could walk 5 miles to the nearest station with a jug. You run out of power, good luck carrying those electrons in a bucket.
          LOL. I never thought of that.

What does happen if an EV runs out of juice? Is there a portable way to recharge it?
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

What does happen if an EV runs out of juice? Is there a portable way to recharge it?
            Maybe people will stop on the side of the road to help others again. The new Hummer provides sharable power.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ard-generator/

Once EV's become common, I'd think Emergency Roadside Services would have some sort of portable power pack or ICE generator that could be used to provide enough juice to get the EV a few miles down the road.

Comment

my friend had an electric BMW
              it had a one gallon gas tank in it and a small internal combustion engine that would get you home if you ran out of juice

Brian

Comment

Who would run out of charge? You can see it.
                LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                  Who would run out of charge? You can see it.
                  Who would run out of gas? You can see that too. Maybe you get stuck in traffic or in a deserted area with no charging stations.
                  Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Who would run out of gas? You can see that too. Maybe you get stuck in traffic or in a deserted area with no charging stations.
                    Or... I dunno.... A major gas pipeline gets hacked, shut down, and there's a run on all of the gas stations to the point that 80% of stations in town have ZERO fuel to sell.

Hey, welcome to the south-east US, time: today!

(In fairness to all of us dirty gas-guzzling polluters... Power plants could run into the same problem, resulting in most EVs running dry)
                    "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post

Or... I dunno.... A major gas pipeline gets hacked, shut down, and there's a run on all of the gas stations to the point that 80% of stations in town have ZERO fuel to sell.

Hey, welcome to the south-east US, time: today!

(In fairness to all of us dirty gas-guzzling polluters... Power plants could run into the same problem, resulting in most EVs running dry)
                      EV owners in that area are undoubtedly and deservedly feeling very smug right about now!!

Comment

Our plan has been to make our next car an EV (or possibly plug-in hybrid or some other technology that isn't out yet), but our cars are only 11 & 12 years old so it's going to be awhile before we actually buy one. Who knows how long, but maybe 6 or 7 years?

We do want to make our home-under-construction EV-ready, both for us and for eventual resale. Is having a Level 2 charger-ready outlet wired in the garage our best bet? Any other options you'd consider if you were in our shoes?

https://www.energystar.gov/sites/def...%20Homes_1.pdf
                        Last edited by scfr; 05-16-2021, 05:21 AM. Reason: link issues, etc

Comment

Originally posted by scfr View Post
                          We do want to make our home-under-construction EV-ready, both for us and for eventual resale. Is having a Level 2 charger-ready outlet wired in the garage our best bet?
                          Look around the neighborhood. How common is it for people to park in their garages? Around here it's relatively rare, maybe 15%. When I lived in Philadelphia, it was virtually zero. That's not how most people use their garages in these parts so installing specialized wiring would be a waste. Now putting a charger on the outside easily accessible from the driveway might make sense since that's where the cars are parked.
                          Steve

Comment

Look around the neighborhood. How common is it for people to park in their garages? Around here it's relatively rare, maybe 15%. When I lived in Philadelphia, it was virtually zero. That's not how most people use their garages in these parts so installing specialized wiring would be a waste. Now putting a charger on the outside easily accessible from the driveway might make sense since that's where the cars are parked.
                            Good question. It's the norm to park in the garage in our area.

Comment

My GF has an inexpensive jump starter in her trunk. She has used it a few times for other people. Then she recharges it at home. I suspect something similar could be bought to keep in your trunk that can get you an extra 5-10 miles in an emergency. By the time EVs are more common public chargers will be way more available, at least every few miles, so a 5-10 mile boost should be more than enough.
                              Don't torture yourself, thats what I'm here for.

Comment

Originally posted by bennkar View Post

By the time EVs are more common public chargers will be way more available, at least every few miles, so a 5-10 mile boost should be more than enough.
                                It's really a chicken and egg issue right now. A lot of people won't buy EVs until charging stations are common but they won't build more charging stations until more people own EVs.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X