Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are There Gurus Other Than Dave Ramsey Who Don't Mix Religion With Their Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are There Gurus Other Than Dave Ramsey Who Don't Mix Religion With Their Advice?

So I like Dave Ramsey at lot, but I'm a bit leery of recommending him to my friends because he's not shy about mixing his advice with his religious viewpoint.

Are there gurus or podcasts that you guys like that don't have a specifically religious aspect?
    james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Suze Orman. She tends to aim her advice more at women but the information is solid for everyone.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

I like FIRE types; Choose FI, Mr Money Mustache, JL Collins, Frugalwoods, etc.

Comment

DisneySteve

Comment

One thing you need to think about is what sort of advice the folks need. If they really need to get out of debt, I would still recommend Dave Ramsey and just warn them about the religious undertones. If you can ignore that, the plan definitely works. If people really need to change their mindset about spending and borrowing, Dave Ramsey is a good resource.
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Mary Hunt is a great author on getting out of debt..I don't think she mentions religion, but actually it's been years since I read her stuff, so maybe I'm forgetting.
            My other blog is Your Organized Friend.

Comment

Not a fan of money mustache myself. The teaching is more about letting go of what you want and live like a monk instead. I mean it's fine if that's the life you want, but his supporters will burn you at the stake if you want anything nicer than ordinary.

Comment

If you are looking for something contrarian without religion check out Robert Kiyosaki or Grant Cardone.
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
                  So I like Dave Ramsey at lot, but I'm a bit leery of recommending him to my friends because he's not shy about mixing his advice with his religious viewpoint.

Are there gurus or podcasts that you guys like that don't have a specifically religious aspect?
                  duplicate
                  How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Are your friends really that weak? Most people are going to have their own take on a lot of values - their faith, sexuality, abortion, whatever. Humans have a unique ability to think critically and discern that which is useful without completely discarding it because a certain portion was not.
                    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

Are your friends really that weak? Most people are going to have their own take on a lot of values - their faith, sexuality, abortion, whatever. Humans have a unique ability to think critically and discern that which is useful without completely discarding it because a certain portion was not.
                      I agree. I freely recommend DR to folks who I think would benefit from his advice. Just give them a heads up about the religious undertone and let them decide from there.
                      Steve

Comment

I don't know that they are gurus (I don't usually label folks that way) but I like The Simple Dollar and The Dollar Stretcher.

Comment

I'm Jewish and gay but have no problem with Dave's Christian bent. Most of the Bible verses he quotes are from Proverbs and don't mention G-D at all. But I would also recommend Rob Berger https://www.doughroller.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Keshet View Post
                            I'm Jewish and gay but have no problem with Dave's Christian bent. Most of the Bible verses he quotes are from Proverbs and don't mention G-D at all. But I would also recommend Rob Berger https://www.doughroller.net/
                            Keshnet - I've been thinking about this...and I think people don't object to Dave's scriptural references, I think they object to the underling current of judgement in his pronouncements. Its like in Dave's world,if you have credit card debt, G-d will come and smite you down.

Seriously, people need encouragement and support in paying off their debts, they don't need to be told they are immoral or bad people, and that sometimes comes across in Dave's stuff (I know, I've read and listed to a lot of it).
                            james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Keshnet - I've been thinking about this...and I think people don't object to Dave's scriptural references, I think they object to the underling current of judgement in his pronouncements. Its like in Dave's world,if you have credit card debt, G-d will come and smite you down.

Seriously, people need encouragement and support in paying off their debts, they don't need to be told they are immoral or bad people, and that sometimes comes across in Dave's stuff (I know, I've read and listed to a lot of it).
                              Dave also says people who use cc are terrible spenders and over spend. Not true. CC are like guns Guns don't kill people, people kill people. CC don't cause debt People cause debt But it's hard to take responsibility for ones actions.

He does also say if you are in debt you are a slave to the lender. And only 25% PITI for 15 years. But it's impossible in many parts of the US to do this.
                              LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X