Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are There Gurus Other Than Dave Ramsey Who Don't Mix Religion With Their Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

2. I have attended many kinds of churches, including Unitarian Universalist, Catholic, and many varieties of Protestant.
    None of those are atheist "churches".

3. If you are an atheist, then by definition you don't believe in a deity. That's what atheist means.
    Correct.

5. Science will never connect all of the dots regarding origins - whether by deity or by chance - and never will. If you are a "by chance" supporter, there's a lot of missing dots that you have to have faith (or confidence) in. Same for the creationists.
    Agreed, it probably won't connect all the dots regarding origin. But, so what? Science is not philosophy or religion.

And I don't agree any faith is required to accept science. It's perfectly OK to not believe you know all the answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

None of those are atheist "churches".

Correct.

Agreed, it probably won't connect all the dots regarding origin. But, so what? Science is not philosophy or religion.

And I don't agree any faith is required to accept science. It's perfectly OK to not believe you know all the answers.
      1.The question of whether or not I have attended an "atheist" church is merely a diversion by you. It isn't relevant.

2. As for faith: If you believe, for example, that the earth was created by chance, you have to, by extension, have some faith (confidence) in the many parts of that theory that cannot be absolutely proven.

If you believe that the earth was created by God, you have to, by extension, have some faith (confidence) in the many parts of that theory that cannot be absolutely proven.

Faith isn't a deity word per se. In Greek, the root word from which faith comes is the noun "pistis", which means "believe." The Latin version of "faith" is "fidere", which means "to trust". So if you trust or believe science, you have faith in it. I'm sorry. I think that the atheist crowd tends to run from such words as religion, faith, and church because they automatically assign a deity to them.

3. Philosophy is not a science, but science is most certainly a philosophy.
      How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Just 2 days ago, SCOTUS heard oral arguments in a case to determine if all employees have equal rights or if heterosexuals have rights that homosexuals do not. Why is that even a question? That document written back in the 1700s says "all men are created equal" and yet here we are in 2019 still fighting that fight.
        Whether or not homosexuals have the same rights in the workplace as heterosexuals is not a religious question, any more than if tattoo'd people have the same rights as non-tattood' people in the workplace. Straw man there.

Comment

Okay, folks. We've gotten way off topic here. The point about the financial implications of religion was certainly a valid one, but let's try and get back on topic. If anyone has any other recommendations of financial pros they follow who don't involve religion, please share them.
          Karl Marx.

Comment

Originally posted by Keshet View Post
            if atheism is a religion, then "bald" is a hair color.
            Actually, "Bald" is an officially recognized hair color. My grandfather's NY drivers license, US passport, and military retiree ID card all list his hair color as "Bald". He jokes about it all the time.
            "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Whether or not homosexuals have the same rights in the workplace as heterosexuals is not a religious question
              Discrimination is discrimination even when done in the name of religion.
              Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
              * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
              * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Discrimination is discrimination even when done in the name of religion.
                I don't think homosexuals should be protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 any more than tattoo'd people or people with mullets should, and it doesn't have anything to do with religion.

Comment

I don't think homosexuals should be protected under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 any more than tattoo'd people or people with mullets should, and it doesn't have anything to do with religion.
                  That might be your personal opinion, but many of the legal arguments justifying discrimination are very much religion-based. The Colorado baker case was ruled in the baker's favor on religious grounds. The Washington florist case was argued on religious grounds. There are many examples of people using religion to discriminate against people. The latest SCOTUS case is just one more example. Lots of people feel that they should be able to use their religion against others. I just have to keep hoping that eventually the high court will strike down that argument.

We've had this discussion here before so we don't need to rehash it.
                  Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

1.The question of whether or not I have attended an "atheist" church is merely a diversion by you. It isn't relevant.
                    This gave me a chuckle. It's EXTREMELY relevant. You are informing us that religious instruction is given at atheist "churches", never having attended even a single meeting of one. How then could you possibly know what goes on?

2. As for faith: If you believe, for example, that the earth was created by chance, you have to, by extension, have some faith (confidence) in the many parts of that theory that cannot be absolutely proven.

If you believe that the earth was created by God, you have to, by extension, have some faith (confidence) in the many parts of that theory that cannot be absolutely proven.
                    I believe neither of these viewpoints. Personally, I think we are still in the discovery phase, and may possibly never know.

3. Philosophy is not a science, but science is most certainly a philosophy.
                    It isn't, though. Science is merely observing and collecting facts of the natural world. The implication of those facts is the concern of philosophy and/or religion, not of science.

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post

Actually, "Bald" is an officially recognized hair color. My grandfather's NY drivers license, US passport, and military retiree ID card all list his hair color as "Bald". He jokes about it all the time.
                      And does hair appear on his head as a result?

Comment

And does hair appear on his head as a result?
                        Sure does! So he always gets a air-cut on the first of every month.

Ba-dum-tsss....

When I say he jokes about it all the time, I'm not kidding... It's tragically bad. Lol
                        "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

This gave me a chuckle. It's EXTREMELY relevant. You are informing us that religious instruction is given at atheist "churches", never having attended even a single meeting of one. How then could you possibly know what goes on?

I believe neither of these viewpoints. Personally, I think we are still in the discovery phase, and may possibly never know.

It isn't, though. Science is merely observing and collecting facts of the natural world. The implication of those facts is the concern of philosophy and/or religion, not of science.
                          1. An atheistic church, I would have to assume by taking the name at its face, is presenting some sort of atheistic message. I haven't been there to prove it. If it was a theistic message, then it would no longer be a-theistic.

2. If you are undecided, you would be defined as an "agnostic".

3. We will have to agree to disagree.

Comment

1. An atheistic church, I would have to assume by taking the name at its face, is presenting some sort of atheistic message. I haven't been there to prove it. If it was a theistic message, then it would no longer be a-theistic.
                            As previously stated in some detail, your assumption is incorrect.

2. If you are undecided, you would be defined as an "agnostic".
                            An agnostic is a person who does not know, not a person who is undecided. Many people are BOTH agnostic and atheist (hence the term "agnostic atheist").

At no point have I stated that I am undecided.

3. We will have to agree to disagree.
                            I suppose we will, as I prefer facts to opinions with no basis.

Comment

As previously stated in some detail, your assumption is incorrect.

An agnostic is a person who does not know, not a person who is undecided. Many people are BOTH agnostic and atheist (hence the term "agnostic atheist").

At no point have I stated that I am undecided.

I suppose we will, as I prefer facts to opinions with no basis.
                              1. Thanks for clearing that up.
                              2. Thanks for clearing that up.
                              3. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

In australia I love the barefoot investor...he has a few books out aimed at aussies not ony parents but also for families with kids on teaching them how to deal with money...he has just started a program in schools as most kids there don't know much about money so he is hoping to start them learning early...religion has nothing to do with it

Comment

Working...
                                X