Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are There Gurus Other Than Dave Ramsey Who Don't Mix Religion With Their Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if atheism is a religion, then "bald" is a hair color.

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

That’s true. Brittanica actually defines atheism as the rejection of all religious belief. So to say atheism is a religion is incorrect.
      I don't know about ol' Brittanica, but anyone who claims that they are not religious and then makes judgments about religious topics, including those related to a deity, has made a religious statement. Though they may claim to be irreligious, atheists are religious by default when they refute an alternative religious view while simultaneously promoting their own.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...stians/560936/

At its core, atheism is the "religion of no God". There are in fact many "churches" of atheism throughout the U.S. that meet regularly.

https://www.charismanews.com/us/4171...g-up-across-us

Atheists have an active belief system with views concerning origins - for example, that the universe and life morphed by natural processes; no life after death; the existence of God; etc. Since no one can disprove the existence of God or affirmatively prove the theory of the Big Bang with no supervisor, atheism is, by consequence, a faith unto itself. And atheism's adherents are often far more evangelistic with their faith than theists.
      Last edited by TexasHusker; 10-09-2019, 07:27 PM.
      How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Originally posted by Keshet View Post
        if atheism is a religion, then "bald" is a hair color.
        cute.

Comment

Since this is a personal finance forum, I'm posting something relevant:

This conversation matters in so far as Atheism is valuable from an economic standpoint. It is..but only a little bit. Atheists & agnostics are ranked 5th and 6th in family incomes - after Episcopalians and Presbyterians.

Source: Pew Research.

james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post
            Since this is a personal finance forum, I'm posting something relevant:

This conversation matters in so far as Atheism is valuable from an economic standpoint. It is..but only a little bit. Atheists & agnostics are ranked 5th and 6th in family incomes - after Episcopalians and Presbyterians.

interesting that Atheists and Ags are listed as religious groups.

But on the whole, it isn't surprising at all. For example, Churches of God, Assemblies of God, Churches of Christ, and Southern Baptist Churches tend to be more heavily rooted in the south and lower midwest, including a great deal of rural area. There isn't a heavy concentration of wealth in these areas. The religion of atheism is going to be more concentrated in the coastal cities and large metro areas, where there is a greater concentration of overall wealth. Unitarian Universalist is a hybrid theist/atheist model whereby "anything goes, just show up". That religion is more heavily concentrated in the metro areas.

Presbyterian, Episcopalian, and Methodist denominations are "blue bloods" that are rooted in aristocracy dating back to England.

Of course, these are generalizations.
            Last edited by TexasHusker; 10-09-2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

I don't know about ol' Brittanica, but anyone who claims that they are not religious and then makes judgments about religious topics, including those related to a deity, has made a religious statement. Though they may claim to be irreligious, atheists are religious by default when they refute an alternative religious view while simultaneously promoting their own.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...stians/560936/

At its core, atheism is the "religion of no God". There are in fact many "churches" of atheism throughout the U.S. that meet regularly.

https://www.charismanews.com/us/4171...g-up-across-us

Atheists have an active belief system with views concerning origins - for example, that the universe and life morphed by natural processes; no life after death; the existence of God; etc. Since no one can disprove the existence of God or affirmatively prove the theory of the Big Bang with no supervisor, atheism is, by consequence, a faith unto itself. And atheism's adherents are often far more evangelistic with their faith than theists.
              Yours is a common misconception.

Atheist "churches" are tongue in cheek. They are social and/or community service groups. There are no religious beliefs being taught at meetings, as the groups have no religious beliefs.

As proof of your assertions, you post a link from a religious organization. But how many such "churches" have you attended even once? I assert that my actual experiences attending such "churches" are much more relevant than your link.

While some atheists believe there is no god, a great many of us have no such belief.

Atheists/agnostics/humanists/skeptics (in short, the "none"s) have become better organized and more vocal in recent years as a response to the growing attempt (and at times, success) of evangelical Christianity to legislate its beliefs and force them onto the rest of us. What you take for evangelism (ha ha), is actually people standing up for their Constitutional right to NOT have religion forced upon them via government.

And those "beliefs" regarding origin? That's called science. Science is not a religion.
              Last edited by Petunia 100; 10-10-2019, 05:05 AM.

Comment

atheism is, by consequence, a faith unto itself.
                Faith and Religion are two entirely different things though they often get lumped together. Faith is essentially your personal beliefs, so yes, atheists have faith. Everyone has faith. It doesn't matter what religion you follow, or if you follow no religion at all.
                Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post
                  What you take for evangelism (ha ha), is actually people standing up for their Constitutional right to NOT have religion forced upon them via government.
                  As a Jewish person, I'm right there with you on that. The growing movement to legislate religious beliefs as the law of the land is immensely disturbing. We, as a religious group, speak out against that all the time. I have absolutely no problem with people practicing the religion of their choice but you don't have the right to tell me that I have to practice your religion too.
                  Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

Yours is a common misconception.

Atheist "churches" are tongue in cheek. They are social and/or community service groups. There are no religious beliefs being taught at meetings, as the groups have no religious beliefs.

As proof of your assertions, you post a link from a religious organization. But how many such "churches" have you attended even once? I assert that my actual experiences attending such "churches" are much more relevant than your link.

While some atheists believe there is no god, a great many of us have no such belief.

Atheists/agnostics/humanists/skeptics (in short, the "none"s) have become better organized and more vocal in recent years as a response to the growing attempt (and at times, success) of evangelical Christianity to legislate its beliefs and force them onto the rest of us. What you take for evangelism (ha ha), is actually people standing up for their Constitutional right to NOT have religion forced upon them via government.

And those "beliefs" regarding origin? That's called science. Science is not a religion.
                    1. "Church", community group, call it what you want. I can be religious about anything - picking weeds in my yard daily, picking my nose, or posting on a savings forum. Religion is a term that comes from the latin word "religare". It has two meanings: 1) To bind, and 2) To do the same thing over and over again. Thus, the term religion makes no particular deity statement. If you espouse atheism, it's religious for you. Regarding the term "church": In classical Greek, the term was used almost exclusively to mean political gatherings. In Athens the word meant the gathering of citizens to conducting the affairs of the polis (city, town, state, etc.) Even the Bible has examples of secular use of the term in the book of Acts (19:32, 19:39, and 19:41).

2. I have attended many kinds of churches, including Unitarian Universalist, Catholic, and many varieties of Protestant.

3. If you are an atheist, then by definition you don't believe in a deity. That's what atheist means.

4. One man's voice is another man's evangelism. It all depends on which side of the equation you reside. The word originates from the Greek word euaggelion. Translated literally as a noun, it means “good news.” In the verb form, the meaning of the word means to “announce” or “bring good news.” Obviously whether news is "good" or "bad" is strictly in the eyes of the recipient.

5. Science will never connect all of the dots regarding origins - whether by deity or by chance - and never will. If you are a "by chance" supporter, there's a lot of missing dots that you have to have faith (or confidence) in. Same for the creationists.
                    Last edited by TexasHusker; 10-10-2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

As a Jewish person, I'm right there with you on that. The growing movement to legislate religious beliefs as the law of the land is immensely disturbing. We, as a religious group, speak out against that all the time. I have absolutely no problem with people practicing the religion of their choice but you don't have the right to tell me that I have to practice your religion too.
                      "The growing movement to legislate religious beliefs"...are you kidding? The country has been incrementally removing anything mentioning God from our society since the late 1700s. Go back and do some research on U.S. history. All but two of the first 108 universities founded in America were Christian. My gosh we removed prayer from school 50+ years ago.
                      Last edited by TexasHusker; 10-10-2019, 06:04 AM.

Comment

"The growing movement to legislate religious beliefs"...are you kidding? The country has been incrementally removing anything mentioning God from our society since the late 1700s.
                        Removing mentions of God and removing religious beliefs are two entirely different things.
                        Steve

Comment

Removing mentions of God and removing religious beliefs are two entirely different things.
                          OK, so help me understand the "growing movement to legislate religious beliefs as the law of the land". Can you help me with some examples?

Comment

OK, so help me understand the "growing movement to legislate religious beliefs as the law of the land". Can you help me with some examples?
                            Just 2 days ago, SCOTUS heard oral arguments in a case to determine if all employees have equal rights or if heterosexuals have rights that homosexuals do not. Why is that even a question? That document written back in the 1700s says "all men are created equal" and yet here we are in 2019 still fighting that fight.
                            Steve

Comment

"The growing movement to legislate religious beliefs"...are you kidding? The country has been incrementally removing anything mentioning God from our society since the late 1700s. Go back and do some research on U.S. history. All but two of the first 108 universities founded in America were Christian. My gosh we removed prayer from school 50+ years ago.
                              Oh, if only he were kidding.

Comment

Okay, folks. We've gotten way off topic here. The point about the financial implications of religion was certainly a valid one, but let's try and get back on topic. If anyone has any other recommendations of financial pros they follow who don't involve religion, please share them.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X