Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are There Gurus Other Than Dave Ramsey Who Don't Mix Religion With Their Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Did they actually do the plan, or did they just attend the seminars?

DR's plan is NOT a quick fix. It's a pretty hard core plan actually and though I've never done it, I'm sure it's rather difficult to follow and stick with it for an extended period of time. It works if you do it but I'm sure many don't do it.

The other thing that I think happens a lot is people will say, "We're doing the 'Dave Ramsey plan' but we still go out to eat and we still have our credit cards and we've got about 10K in our savings account...." So they really aren't doing the Dave Ramsey plan but maybe just implementing a couple of his ideas which is not the same thing. It's like saying you're doing the Atkins diet because you stopped eating toast with breakfast but haven't changed anything else.
    what do you think about the atkins diet by the way?
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Did they actually do the plan, or did they just attend the seminars?

DR's plan is NOT a quick fix. It's a pretty hard core plan actually and though I've never done it, I'm sure it's rather difficult to follow and stick with it for an extended period of time. It works if you do it but I'm sure many don't do it.

The other thing that I think happens a lot is people will say, "We're doing the 'Dave Ramsey plan' but we still go out to eat and we still have our credit cards and we've got about 10K in our savings account...." So they really aren't doing the Dave Ramsey plan but maybe just implementing a couple of his ideas which is not the same thing. It's like saying you're doing the Atkins diet because you stopped eating toast with breakfast but haven't changed anything else.
      I did the DR plan hardcore. Guess you could say we still do it. We've even paid off our house 4 yrs ago. I still believe it was worth doing. Not having a car loan, credit card debt, house payment...none of things factor into my financial decisions. Quite a relief.
      And I agree, there are to many folks who listen to Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, Clarke Howard etc.. but don't apply the info and then wonder why it didn't work.
      Last edited by Keshet; 04-29-2019, 12:52 PM.

Comment

What i like about dave is that he follows his own advice and it basically hasnt changed for 20 years. Suze and Robert do not and flip flop. How can you trust that.

Comment

Originally posted by Benderz View Post
          What i like about dave is that he follows his own advice and it basically hasnt changed for 20 years. Suze and Robert do not and flip flop. How can you trust that.
          I have heard Suze Orman change her advice on occasion, but when she did, she was very clear about why she was changing it. She made sure to explain what prompted the change. I don't think that's flip-flopping. I think that's wisdom. Sometimes conditions warrant a change in course.

That's not to say anything against Dave Ramsey, though. His advice is so basic and fundamental that there's really no reason for him to ever change it.
          Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Suze was in a Ford commercial pushing new cars while the people who listen to her are trying to get out of debt. She gives investing advice but only invests in municipal bonds. And she gives marriage advice to newlyweds telling the wives to hide some money just in case (i dont have to say any more about that). She sells living trusts and a fico score in a box. no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Benderz View Post
              Suze was in a Ford commercial pushing new cars while the people who listen to her are trying to get out of debt. She gives investing advice but only invests in municipal bonds. And she gives marriage advice to newlyweds telling the wives to hide some money just in case (i dont have to say any more about that). She sells living trusts and a fico score in a box. no thanks.
              Those are all interesting points, but this doesn't address what you said about her flip flopping on her advice.

There's nothing wrong with buying a new car if you can afford it. In fact, the "Can I Afford It?" segment used to be the most popular part of her show. It does bother me that she was shilling for a particular brand, though.

Just because she invests in munis doesn't make her unqualified to discuss other investments. And Dave Ramsey's investment advice sucks. It's just plain wrong.

Yes she sells trust kits. I have a bit of an issue with that myself, but Dave advertises products too, both his own and 3rd party goods and services (insurance company, home security, etc.). So I'm not really seeing where what she does is all that different than what he does.

I agree with you 100% about telling wives to hide money.
              Last edited by disneysteve; 05-03-2019, 07:11 PM.
              Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

A Ford commercial is appropriate for someone urging people to save money. There is a good chance that many followers would expect her to own a Benz or Rover. And I 100% agree with her to hide money. I guess it is old school thing. I hide money all of the time. I was raised to do that. My husband expects me to hide money. His mother had her own stash. My sisters have their own stash. I call my husband every so often to say, "I can't remember where I hid my pin money!!!" and he would help me find it and then pretend like he doesn't know about it. I would urge anyone, man or woman, to have their own stash of cash just in case. Honestly, my pin money was the only thing that kept us eating when he was stupid with money, so he never says anything about it.

Comment

The most popular selling "car" is the Ford F-150. I just priced one @ $73,150. A loaded Merc A class is $38k. A fully loaded Land Rover Discovery is $71k. Careful associating Ford with affordable.

Comment

One thing about Suze and all the products she hawks, she does regularly give free codes to her followers to get that stuff. She did it when she had her show on cnbc and she still does it on her women & money podcast.

Comment

Originally posted by corn18 View Post
                      The most popular selling "car" is the Ford F-150. I just priced one @ $73,150. A loaded Merc A class is $38k. A fully loaded Land Rover Discovery is $71k. Careful associating Ford with affordable.
                      The base price for an F150 is about $28,000, and I would assume that someone that preaches about keeping car loans to a max of 3 years wouldn't advise people to buy a fully loaded truck. The 2019 Fusion starts at $14,000. That's affordable for most people, especially considering their 0% financing for 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post
                        I would assume that someone that preaches about keeping car loans to a max of 3 years wouldn't advise people to buy a fully loaded truck.
                        Not necessarily. Suze's thing isn't telling people to be super frugal and buy the cheapest car they can. Her thing is to live below your means, maintain an adequate EF, and save sufficiently for the future. She is not opposed to luxury purchases if you can afford them.

If somebody called in and asked if they could afford a 73K truck, she'd go over their numbers and approve or deny them based on the big picture. She wouldn't automatically deny them because that's a stupid amount of money to spend on a truck (though she might say that in the process).
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by msomnipotent View Post
                          I 100% agree with her to hide money. I guess it is old school thing. I hide money all of the time.
                          I call my husband every so often to say, "I can't remember where I hid my pin money!!!" and he would help me find it and then pretend like he doesn't know about it.
                          There's a huge difference between hiding money and having your own stash that your partner if well aware of.

My wife has money set aside. She also has a credit card in her name only. I pay the bill but it's her account. And the cash she has set aside came from me for the most part. She also adds to it when she sells some craft project or does a sewing job for someone. Just yesterday, she sold 3 tote bags for $60 and the other day, our neighbor paid her $10 to hem a couple of pairs of pants. I'll never see that money. It went into her stash. But she's not "hiding" anything. It's not a secret. It wasn't done with any ill intent.
                          Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X