Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are There Gurus Other Than Dave Ramsey Who Don't Mix Religion With Their Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry Winget is awesome, he is completely no nonsense.
    He is a bit blunt some people especially those who still are rationalize some aspects that are keeping people in debt do not like that.

At one time he had a show in which he met people in debt and was i guess too honest cause he made them cry a lot that they were responsible for their own predicament. He never bought their rationalizations or excuses.

Comment

What the hell does religion have to do with money...and vice versa? Hard to take anyone serious who believes one has to do with the other.

Comment

Originally posted by rennigade View Post
        What the hell does religion have to do with money...and vice versa? Hard to take anyone serious who believes one has to do with the other.
        Religion can have a lot to do with money management. Tithing is the simplest example. If you are of the belief that you need to give 10% of your money to the church no matter what, that has a huge impact on your finances. We've seen many posts here over the years from people who were drowning in debt but adamantly refused to stop tithing.

Being active in your religious community can also impact your expenses in various ways. Our synagogue dues alone are almost $300/month. Add in the annual fund raising drive, men's club and sisterhood fees, and various activities throughout the year and we spend several thousand dollars each year on religious stuff.
        Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

There are a lot of Bible passages having to do with money. If you believe the Bible is true, it makes sense you would want to learn what the Bible says about money.

This does not describe me, but I can see the logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Petunia 100 View Post

Never heard of him. Do you mean Larry Burkett?
            No, Larry Winget. He calls himself the pitbull of personal improvement or something like that. He has written many books and most basically tell it like it is about stuff. I find him refreshing.

Comment

I think you might be confusing religion for a person's personal faith. There is a difference. Even the most dogmatic atheist is religious.
              How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Religion can have a lot to do with money management. Tithing is the simplest example. If you are of the belief that you need to give 10% of your money to the church no matter what, that has a huge impact on your finances. We've seen many posts here over the years from people who were drowning in debt but adamantly refused to stop tithing.

Being active in your religious community can also impact your expenses in various ways. Our synagogue dues alone are almost $300/month. Add in the annual fund raising drive, men's club and sisterhood fees, and various activities throughout the year and we spend several thousand dollars each year on religious stuff.
                As a Jew, you probably know that the tithe for the nation of Israel isn't 10 percent, but actually 23.3%. And it wasn't a percentage of money, but a percentage of crops and livestock. There was a 10 percent tithe per year that went to the Levites, a 10 percent tithe to pay for festivals, and a tithe every third year to help foreigners, widows, and orphans.

The 23.3% tithe was essentially the income tax system for the nation of Israel.

Folks who are Christian who believe that a tithe is required do not have any New Testament basis to back up their belief. I don't know many Christians who are producing crops or livestock, unless you count hamsters and puppies. If I felt it was a requirement of God, I would give 23.3% as specified in the Book of Numbers. I do try to give 10 percent, because for me it demonstrates to myself where my priorities lie, but I feel no compulsion by Scripture to do so.
                Last edited by TexasHusker; 10-08-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rob62521 View Post

No, Larry Winget. He calls himself the pitbull of personal improvement or something like that. He has written many books and most basically tell it like it is about stuff. I find him refreshing.
                  I've never heard of him. But if you find him refreshing, I am going to look for him at the library and give him a read.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post

I think you might be confusing religion for a person's personal faith. There is a difference. Even the most dogmatic atheist is religious.
                    Only if not playing or watching any sports is a sport.

Comment

Only if not playing or watching any sports is a sport.
                      religious

adjective
                      re∑​li∑​gious | \ ri-ˈli-jəs \ Definition of religious

(Entry 1 of 2)

1: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity.

Translated: One is either devoted to theism or atheism. An atheist is every bit as much devoted to his beliefs as a theist, and often times more so.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHusker View Post
                        religious

adjective
                        re∑​li∑​gious | \ ri-ˈli-jəs \ Definition of religious

(Entry 1 of 2)

1: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity.

Translated: One is either devoted to theism or atheism. An atheist is every bit as much devoted to his beliefs as a theist, and often times more so.
                        Fair point.
                        james.c.hendrickson@gmail.com

Comment

I love Clark Howard!! I just discovered him maybe 6 months ago and I listen to his podcast every night before I fall asleep. I like him because he talks about everything, I've learned a lot. This is the most recent thing I learned, I'm cutting and pasting from a FB post I made:

If you want to control the amount of information Google collects on you You have to sign into your google account first. Go to myactivity.google.com

Click on Activity Control

Scroll down to Web & App Activity, click on Manage activity

Scroll down to box that says Keeping activity until you delete it manually and click on Choose to delete automatically,

Then you can choose how long you want Google to keep your info on the web. I picked Keep for 3 months and then delete automatically, hit next then confirm.

You can listen to the 1st 5 min of this to get more info about https://podcasts.google.com/Ö

PODCASTS.GOOG

Comment

Nonsense. An atheist is a person who lacks belief in a deity. That's all it means.

Are you devoted to your lack of belief in leprechauns, or do you simply not believe they are real? (Assuming of course, that you do not believe in leprechauns. If you do, then please substitute something in which you do not believe). Is there a religion based on a lack of belief in leprechauns, to which some people are devoted?

Comment

Originally posted by james.hendrickson View Post

Fair point.
                              Actually, it isn't. It's a huge leap to state that because some are devoted to their religion, it follows that everyone must be devoted to a religion. And if they aren't, well then, not-devoted-to-a-religion must be a religion too! Otherwise, some people view reality differently than I do, which is inconceivable.
                              Last edited by Petunia 100; 10-09-2019, 06:01 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

Comment

Nonsense. An atheist is a person who lacks belief in a deity. That's all it means.
                                Thatís true. Brittanica actually defines atheism as the rejection of all religious belief. So to say atheism is a religion is incorrect.
                                Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                                * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                                * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Working...
                                X