Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want an iPhone

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    The iphone plan just doesn't work for us. Its way too expensive.

    I do have the new iMAC which is AMAZING!
    Got debt?
    www.mo-moneyman.com

    Comment


      #32
      Steve,
      I just got my Iphone and I love it.
      I got it through an upgrade on ATT for $99 (refurbished)
      Even though ATT service sucks, (dropped calls) I think it is an awesome phone!
      The plan is $30 for unlimited data,
      and $20 for unlimited text I believe.
      You could just do the data plan for $30, and email people if you needed to.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by biff View Post
        Even though ATT service sucks, (dropped calls) I think it is an awesome phone!
        The plan is $30 for unlimited data,
        and $20 for unlimited text I believe.
        You could just do the data plan for $30, and email people if you needed to.
        We have never had a problem with AT&T service. No dropped calls. Great coverage. We've been several places where our phones were the only working ones in our group and we were the only ones with AT&T.

        We already have unlimited texting on our plan, so that's taken care of. It would just be the data I'd have to pay for.

        So would getting the iPhone actually only cost me an extra $30 (or $35) per month over what I'm currently paying? If so, that is much more reasonable and something I'd seriously consider doing.
        Steve

        * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
        * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
        * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
          We have never had a problem with AT&T service. No dropped calls. Great coverage. We've been several places where our phones were the only working ones in our group and we were the only ones with AT&T.

          We already have unlimited texting on our plan, so that's taken care of. It would just be the data I'd have to pay for.

          So would getting the iPhone actually only cost me an extra $30 (or $35) per month over what I'm currently paying? If so, that is much more reasonable and something I'd seriously consider doing.
          per AT&T.com, there is only ONE data plan available for the iPhone. If your current minute/text plan is sufficient for your needs, the additional data service is a flat $30/month (figure another couple bucks for taxes/fees maybe?).

          "Please note: Data plan for iPhone is required for the life of your iPhone service and cannot be removed in the future.

          Data Plan for iPhone 3G includes unlimited data in the U.S. Access rich HTML email and desktop-level web browsing, as well as Visual Voicemail to listen to voicemail messages in any order you choose. $30.00/month"

          Comment


            #35
            Thanks, red.

            Hmm. That makes it more appealing. I kept hearing the $70/month figure thrown around. I guess that was for folks who weren't already with AT&T. I don't need additional calling minutes - I hardly ever make a phone call and we don't use all the minutes we have now. We already have texting (which I also hardly ever use). I want the data and apps. Definitely something to think about now.
            Steve

            * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
            * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
            * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
              Thanks, red.

              Hmm. That makes it more appealing. I kept hearing the $70/month figure thrown around. I guess that was for folks who weren't already with AT&T. I don't need additional calling minutes - I hardly ever make a phone call and we don't use all the minutes we have now. We already have texting (which I also hardly ever use). I want the data and apps. Definitely something to think about now.
              I think the cheapest AT&T voice plan is $39 . . . so the cheapest iPhone option would be about $70. If your bill was $10/mo to begin with, that's a big upgrade. If you already have AT&T, there is significantly less sticker shock involved.

              Comment


                #37
                just get it. you don't have to come here asking us if you can buy a candy cuz you want one. checkout the features, if you like it and it will be worth while to you, get it.


                i don't have an iphone, will like one, but i have a windows mobile phone from sprint, no contract, got the phone for free, and i pay $100+ a month for unlimited voice and unlimited data.

                it's worth it for me, i can get internet anywhere on the phone, or hook up the phone to my computer and get on the internet, as i am doing at this very moment. i can view excel, word document, pdf files while on the road. watch you tube videos, and it has all the PDA features, calendars etc. i don't have cool apps as i don't want to cluter it. and it's worth it for me. the iphone has many apps and will be worth it, so just get it if you can afford it.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by segmond View Post
                  just get it. you don't have to come here asking us if you can buy a candy cuz you want one. checkout the features, if you like it and it will be worth while to you, get it.
                  Part of the point in posting was to ask what others' experience has been with the iPhone and what the true costs were. Whether or not it looks cool in the Apple store or on the commercials doesn't mean much if people who actually have them find them troublesome.

                  Yes, I can afford one. I earn a nice income and we live well below our means. We can afford a lot of things. That doesn't mean we run and out and get them all just because we can. We take the time to research them and make sure that they are really worth spending our hard-earned money to own.
                  Steve

                  * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                  * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                  * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    I personally love my iphone.

                    I have mine jailbroken which lets you put apps on there that Apple has not approved. For example I have an app that lets me "tether" my iphone to my laptop, allowing me to essentially use the iPhone as an aircard.

                    Even without jailbreaking, I do think the iPhone is miles ahead of the competition. The simplicity of navigation and functionality make it very user friendly and useful.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by MiikeB View Post
                      For example I have an app that lets me "tether" my iphone to my laptop, allowing me to essentially use the iPhone as an aircard.
                      I've heard AT&T specifically prohibits tethering. I don't know how they would detect it, but I seem to remember hearing if they did somehow suspect you were doing it they would terminate your agreement.

                      I don't really understand this policy, as many other devices openly support tethering. Our company encourages tethering (via Blackberry) instead of paying airport wifi fees.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        DS, my DH is thinking of getting an itouch because he isn't sure how much he will be using the internet at $30/month.
                        LivingAlmostLarge Blog

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                          DS, my DH is thinking of getting an itouch because he isn't sure how much he will be using the internet at $30/month.
                          Same thought here. I'm not sure that I'll actually want to surf on a tiny screen with no keyboard. Next time I'm at the Apple store, I'll check out the iPod touch also. I know that $30/month charge will get old real fast.
                          Steve

                          * Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
                          * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
                          * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            You can buy a used unlocked iPhone on eBay or Craigslist. Then use that on T-Mobile. This way you can avoid monthly data charge. Just use wi-fi at home.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              I'm surprised no one has mentioned having problems with their iPhone. Small samplng size I know, but people at work have had nothing but problems with theirs. It would lock up, couldn't call out, all manner of things. One person had to return his twice to the Apple store. Nearly all of my brother's social group have one, and he says most of them have had problems as well. Isolated incident? I would do a search on issues.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                                We have never had a problem with AT&T service. No dropped calls. Great coverage. We've been several places where our phones were the only working ones in our group and we were the only ones with AT&T.

                                We already have unlimited texting on our plan, so that's taken care of. It would just be the data I'd have to pay for.

                                So would getting the iPhone actually only cost me an extra $30 (or $35) per month over what I'm currently paying? If so, that is much more reasonable and something I'd seriously consider doing.
                                When I moved back to CA from DC is when I noticed the horrible dropped calls. ATT tried to tell me it was my phone, but I switched to the Iphone and its even worse. Other than that I love the thing! listen to music at the gym. Watch youtube on cardio machines etc. Very useful!!!
                                Your current plan would be cancelled, and the $30 data plan would be enabled. $20 extra for unlimited text $30 more for unlimited for everyone on your family plan...so $30 (data) + $20 or $30 for text = $50 or $60 per month in addition to your minute voice plan.....
                                I was using a verizon air card for my laptop @ $60 per month, I cancelled that and use the iphone instead!
                                Try the iphone for $99 when you are eligible for an upgrade, and if you dont like it, I think you have 30 days to try it and return it...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X