Uber is a popular option for people who want to make extra money on their terms. However, if you are considering becoming an Uber driver in Florida for the first time, having a car that meets the requirements is essential. Otherwise, you will not qualify to use the platform to find passengers.
What Are the Uber Car Requirements in Florida?
In most cases, people who are getting ready to start with Uber will be joining the UberX program. This is the basic Uber service.
Florida drivers interested in driving for UberX need a qualifying vehicle. Here are the Uber car requirements in Florida:
- 15-year-old vehicle or newer
- At least four independently opening doors (not including hatchback doors or trunks)
- Seating for at least four passengers (5 total factory-installed seats with seat belts)
- Working windows
- Working air conditioning
- Good condition with no cosmetic damage
- No commercial branding
All cities in Florida follow these requirements, including:
- Central Atlantic Coast Cities
- Florida Keys
- Miami & South Florida
- Panama City
- Tampa Bay
Plus, your vehicle must continue to meet those standards if you are going to drive for Uber, including the age requirements. This means, if you have a 2004 vehicle, you could potentially use it to drive for Uber in Florida during 2019. However, in 2020, your car might not qualify any more, so you would become ineligible unless you replaced your vehicle with something newer that also meets the other requirements.
What Are the Uber Driver Requirements in Florida?
If you want to drive for Uber in Florida, you need more than just a suitable vehicle. You will also need to meet a few other standards.
First, you will need a valid US driver’s license. It has to be a full-fledged license and not a learner’s permit or something similar.
Second, you have to be the minimum age to drive in your city unrestricted and have at least one year of driving experience if you are 23 or older. Drivers under the age of 23 need at least three years of driving experience.
Third, you need to be able to provide specific documentation. This includes your driver’s license, proof of residency, proof of insurance for your vehicle, and a driver photo.
Finally, all drivers need to pass a screening process. Uber will run your driving record and check your criminal history. You can be disqualified if your background check reveals issues that do not align with Uber’s standards.
On the driving record sign, this usually means you cannot have any major moving violations, like reckless driving or a DUI, within the past seven years. Additionally, you may be limited to only three minor moving violations during the past three years. This usually includes offenses like speeding or failure to obey certain traffic laws. Having recent accidents also hurts your chances of becoming approved as an Uber driver.
For the criminal history, anyone one with a felony, sexual offense, or violent crime in the last seven years is not eligible to drive for Uber. Individuals who are required to register as a sexual offender are also disqualified automatically.
Other Requirements to Drive for Uber
Yes, one of the biggest additional requirements is having a smartphone that can run the Uber app. Without that, you cannot connect to the system to find riders.
Additionally, if you want to drive for specific Uber services, like UberXL, UberSELECT, UberBLACK, UberSUV, or UberLUX, then your vehicle needs to meet the standards for those options as well.
Here is an overview of the additional vehicle requirements for Uber services aside from the basic UberX:
- UberXL – vehicle must be able to carry at least 6 passengers
- UberSELECT – vehicle must be an entry-level luxury sedan and have a leather or synthetic leather interior
- UberBLACK – vehicle must be a higher end sedan and have a black leather or synthetic leather interior and black exterior. The driver must maintain commercial insurance
- UberSUV – vehicle must be a full-size SUV with black exterior and black leather or synthetic leather interior and seating for at least six passengers
- UberLUX – must be a high-quality luxury brand vehicle with a leather or synthetic leather interior. The driver must maintain commercial insurance and have a rating of 4.7 or higher.
Model year, condition, and other requirements for the Uber services above may also be more stringent than for the regular UberX service, so it is important to keep that in mind if you are hoping to join those programs.
Uber will inspect the details of your vehicle to determine which (if any) programs you are eligible to join. Then, once you are approved for at least the basic UberX option, you can start earning money as an Uber driver.
Do you drive for Uber in Florida? Tell us about your experience in the comments below.
- What Are the Car Requirements for Lyft Plus?
- 10 Easy Ways to Make Money On the Side
- How Much is an Uber Ride?
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, we have good news for you; you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Just click here to get started.