In the spirit of the holiday on Sunday, we asked everyone on our team to share the best thing dad taught them about personal finance. Here’s some of the best advice dad ever gave us.
Best Advice Dad Ever Gave Us
- Love and take care of yourself above everyone else, because if you’re not at your best everyone that you care about will suffer. Remember, this (life) ain’t for practice.
- Plan your budget… and treat your investing money like its not there. Basically, don’t over-manage your investing accounts by looking at them every day.
- Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have — this can help you get through tough financial situations.
- If you’re going to do something, don’t do it half-assed. Go all in.
- Buy once, cry once. When you spend a little bit more for something that is of the best quality, it lasts longer.
- Invest in Roth IRAs early and often.
- Dad taught by example and showed me how to work hard. From watching him I developed my work ethic. He would commonly go back to work for a few hours after dinner, or he’d sit at the kitchen table and draft building plans. He taught me to do whatever it takes to get the job done right.
- Don’t choose a career that will surround you with jerks. Choose a career that will surround you with good people.
Readers, what’s the best advice your father ever gave you — or that you’ve given to your kids? Please tell us all about it by posting in the comments section beneath this post.
Read More About Father’s Day
- Will There Be Any Banks Open on Father’s Day?
- How Much Will There Be in 2018 Father’s Day Spending?
- Places Where Dad Can Eat Free on Father’s Day
- Don’t Miss Out on These Father’s Day Deals
- These Apps May Be The Coolest (and Cheapest) Father’s Day Gifts
- 10 Father’s Day Gadgets Dad Will Love and Save Money
- Restaurant Gift Card Deals for the Grads and Dads in Your Life
If you enjoy reading our blog posts and would like to try your hand at blogging, you can do exactly that on Saving Advice. Click here to get started.