What Time Does McDonald’s Close?
As with many franchises, the operating hours at each McDonald’s restaurant vary by location. Some may be open until midnight while others might close by 10 p.m. Additionally, the drive-thru hours tend to differ from the in-store hours. Their restaurantÂ hours may also be longer on the weekends than on the weekdays. Certain chains even allow car-less pedestrians to walk through the drive-thru (if you’re well-behaved, that is). Overall, you can expect a McDonald’s restaurant to serve food Monday through Sunday each week, even during the holiday seasons.
Most locations are open until 11 p.m., and it was not until the early 2000’s that McDonald’s actually started to offer 24/7 food service, according to this Bloomsburg Businessweek article. However, it wasn’t always like this.
A Little McDonald’s History
In the same article, Michael Arndt writes that Ray Kroc, founder of the McDonald’s System, Inc. and leader of what Mcdonald’s is today, had the restaurants open just before lunch and close just after dinner. These hours were maintained over the next 20 years until 1975 when the Egg McMuffin was introduced, which created breakfast hours at the chain. In 2003, more than 90% of McDonald’s locations had extended their business hours beyond the usual 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Over the years, McDonald’s has continued to evolve. When it first began, McDonald’s listed only two meals. Today, it has over 100 menu items, including limited-time specialty burgers and all-day breakfast. This option has made them even more competitive with other chains such as Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts.
The corporation is also taking another step into modern-day movements by becoming involved with UberEats, a food delivery service. Since the end of June, McDonald’s offers delivery from 270 restaurants in Chicago and more than 2,000 nationwide, including New York, Los Angeles, and Seattle, Samantha Bomkamp reported on May 31 in the Chicago Tribune. This move is anticipated to win over younger customers, a group that the franchise has had a difficult time reaching in recent years, the article adds.
Things You Might Not Know About McDonald’s
- McDonald’s serves more than 100 countries.
- Eighty percent of the restaurants are franchised.
- McDonald’s is a leading global food retail service provider with more than 36,000 locations.
- To the best of the company’s knowledge, McDonald’s has the leading largest group of minority and women operators in the industry.
- The first menu items for McDonald’s were hot dogs, not hamburgers.
- Ray Kroc founded Hamburger University in 1961, which was used to train franchisees on proper me4thods for running a successful McDonald’s restaurant, according to McDonald’s history.
Like Saving Advice? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest Saving Advice content via email.