There are multiple ways realizing a savings on ammunition, including buying in bulk. Here are just a few ways you can start saving money on ammunition.
Money Saving Advice From Gun Owners
It seems that the best place to get advice about saving money on ammunition is from people who own guns and buy ammo regularly. Users of the Saving Advice forums opened up a conversation about how to save on gun ammunition. Here are some of their ideas:
- Save the brass, buy a press and load your own.
- If your state has gun shows, they are oftentimes the cheapest places to buy ammo. It’s a highly competitive environment with multiple vendors, so you can walk around and find the best deal. Plus you don’t have to pay expensive shipping fees, or hazardous material shipping fees.
- Stock up on Black Friday. All of the sporting goods stores and places like Dick’s Sporting Goods and Farm and Fleet usually have pretty good ammo sales on that day. Sometimes they repeat the sale right before Christmas, too.
- Buy case quantities to get any kind of a deal. For example, Bulkammo.com is charging $324.75 for 1,000 rounds of .223. This is a better deal than buying 20 round boxes individual.
- Gun shows, Academy and Walmart are the cheapest places to buy ammo. Normally the quoted price is the OTD price, so includes tax; plus no shipping costs.
- Make each round count during practice. For 223, shoot maybe 60 rounds per session. For rapid fire shoot 50 to 100 rounds per session. To make each round count you have to have a purpose behind shooting (i.e. learn something from it). This is the quality over quantity approach which will save you money in the long run.
Buy Your Ammo in Bulk
Buying in bulk for just about everything can save you money. There are multiple sites in which you can purchase ammunition online and in bulk. By taking this approach to buying your ammo you can save a lot of money, however, keep an eye out for shipping costs and be sure to compare how much the shipping costs would be versus simply buying the ammunition in the store. Here are a few of the best places to buy ammo online:
- Tombstone Tactical
- Bang It Ammo
- Great Lakes Shooters Supply
- FG Ammo
- SG Ammo
- Freedom Munition
- J&G Sales
- Centerfire Systems
- Wholesale Hunter
- Lucky Gunner
Each of these websites offers discounted ammunition when you buy in bulk. Great Lakes Shooters Supply, for instance, sells .22 ammunition for $0.08 per round. BulkAmmo has .223 ammo for $0.26 per round as well as deals on ammo for 300 BLK and 9mm guns.
- How to Make Money From Shooting and Hunting
- The Sad But True Cost of a Mass Shooting
- 17 Coins in Your Pocket Worth More Than Face Value
Do you know of any additional ways of saving money on ammunition? Join the discussion in the Saving Advice forums.
Photo: Flickr: Mitch Barrie
Like Saving Advice? Subscribe!
Subscribe to get the latest Saving Advice content via email.