Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you do if you could live rent-free for a year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck to both of you.
    Steve

* Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
    * Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
    * There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Comment

Wow. That's alot of red flags to all show up just weeks after getting into town & the job. Good luck getting a good job & place to move into, and quickly!

When it comes time for him to leave this job, he should be careful not to burn bridges and spike the well -- just explain that it hasn't worked out for you both, and you need to move on so that he can find someone who will fit better into his business. Knowing that he's working with the luxury car market, relationships count for alot, and it would be better not to immediately make an "enemy" in the new town. And definitely get the new job/house lined up & finalized before he actually quits.
      "Praestantia per minutus" ... "Acta non verba"

Comment

Originally posted by kork13 View Post
        Wow. That's alot of red flags to all show up just weeks after getting into town & the job. Good luck getting a good job & place to move into, and quickly!

When it comes time for him to leave this job, he should be careful not to burn bridges and spike the well -- just explain that it hasn't worked out for you both, and you need to move on so that he can find someone who will fit better into his business. Knowing that he's working with the luxury car market, relationships count for alot, and it would be better not to immediately make an "enemy" in the new town. And definitely get the new job/house lined up & finalized before he actually quits.
        Thanks! He has actually had a number of job offers down here already. When we moved down, things were okay for about a week... and then we started learning more and more about the man he is working for and the house has been unacceptable since Day 1...

Without giving too much information (because we are obviously still stuck here for a minute), he is apparently not permitted back into the states and has made a number of enemies here in town before being arrested and having his visa revoked. (There is a HUGE story behind all that... and the more we find out, the quicker we want out). I don't think this bridge being burned will hurt us at all. After all of this is done I can give you all some more details. We just wanna be sure we are out of here first.

The location of the shop is great - and does not belong to the "owner" - they rent the space. A few people have approached my husband about a business loan to take over there and buy it out from underneath the man... but I am not sure that is the right path to go down either. I don't feel these are people we want to have to deal with if they are angry... While running a shop like that is my hubby's dream, I think there's a better way to go about getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post
          he is apparently not permitted back into the states and has made a number of enemies here in town before being arrested and having his visa revoked
          Wow. What a mess! How long has your husband worked for this guy?
          Steve

* Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post

Wow. What a mess! How long has your husband worked for this guy?
            A mess, indeed! We relocated here for him to work for this man... He started working there on March 20.

The man is nothing short of a criminal but apparently, there is no extradition in Germany? Also, because he hadn't been found guilty of anything yet we had to do a deep background check on him to find out what he had actually done. (Who thinks to run background checks on their employers?... but I probably will from now on lol)

However, we just received word about an hour ago that we've been approved for a condo here, so we will be out of the house by next weekend and then he can start working on finding a new job. The owner of the condo is going to work with us on our deposit so our EF won't take a hit (thank goodness).

Seeing the light at the end of what has been a really long few weeks... not to mention, we are newlyweds haha. (We got married March 18.) It has been a crazy few weeks... ecstatic that it is looking like things will calm down here soon.

Comment

Ah. That makes more sense. For some reason I was thinking the move was a transfer in his existing job, not a completely new job.
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by disneysteve View Post
                Ah. That makes more sense. For some reason I was thinking the move was a transfer in his existing job, not a completely new job.
                Ah. Same industry but completely different job. Prior to this, he was working at a VW dealer in Charlotte (which was way below his pay grade). We were so excited about this job, relocating, and starting our lives together this way. But, with Porsche and Mercedes having headquarters down here, I think the move itself was a good thing. I'm just ready to get out of this mess.

Comment

Hey everyone! Another update....

We have relocated (out of their house) and my hubby has landed a new job that he will start in 2 weeks. They are matching his salary, plus bonuses, and benefits (and paid work travel a couple of times a year). It has been an INSANE month but things are panning out just fine when all is said and done.

The new location is absolutely fabulous too. I can walk EVERYWHERE I'd possibly need to go (even the dog's daycare). It also has a community pool and gym, which will save me a gym membership. We've managed to still decrease our living expenses from Charlotte as well (even though rent isn't free anymore).

Comment

Originally posted by amastewa93 View Post
                    Hey everyone! Another update....
                    Glad to hear it. That sounds much better.
                    Steve

Comment

great news. Sounds like it worked out well!
                      LivingAlmostLarge Blog

Comment

Originally posted by LivingAlmostLarge View Post
                        great news. Sounds like it worked out well!
                        Yes! We are happy with how things are going

Comment

Working...
                        X